• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Named N. American Licensor of Tiger and Bunny Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Hahhaah.

Oh Viz, why do you always fail at anything anime-related?

This show is a huge hit not because men bought it. No way. In fact, I'd wager that the amount of women who bought this in Japan is more than double that of the amount of men who bought it.

I don't think it'll be so lopsided here, but I'd say the majority of the consumers for this show will be women.

If they wanted to get a series that is for such a key demographic then they could have picked up Madoka Magica.
FH14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Starting to think I'm the only member of the 18-25 Male Demographic that's posted on this thread so far.

That being said, the fact that a show is targeted towards the 18-to-25 Male demo is usually meaningless. Do you have any idea how many shows on TV in general have a higher male audience than female audience? Not very many. Saying something is male targeted is usually wishful thinking on production company's and/or advertisers' parts hoping to draw in more male viewers before the mentality of "Oh that's a Girl's show" sets in because most of the viewers are female. (Which I personally think is stupid, but a lot of guys do think that way.)

Oh, and something tells me that the fujoshi would still be all over this even without the subtext in the ED. Anime hyper

I've never actually seen a Viz dub so I'm not exactly sure what it'll entail. I'm hoping the entire series gets a release in some sort of complete set form (I hate buying stuff in pieces out of the fear that I'll never be completed)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
You people are pathetic, you know that? Quit bitching and just be happy. If Viz is going to try selling toys for Tiger and Bunny, I have to assume they are going to try and get it on TV.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Do you people just bitch because you enjoy bitching? Talk about reading way too much into things. Rolling Eyes

ZakuAce wrote:
You people are pathetic, you know that? Quit bitching and just be happy. If Viz is going to try selling toys for Tiger and Bunny, I have to assume they are going to try and get it on TV.

I don't see any REAL complaining, just alot of laughs to be had. If it's too "pathetic" and whiny, you don't have to post...
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh, male demographic or not I'm loving it! Can't wait to get some merchandise, hopefully they'll do something about the figurines and the new Hero TV t-shirts. Although I guess they won't have any in women's sizes Laughing

But please Viz, don't pull a Monster on the DVD releases! At least at this rate I won't be surprised if Tiger & Bunny airs on tv.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I would most definitely buy this on Blu-ray.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Viz. I'm too amused to even feel insulted by this. I'm also wondering if we watched the same show.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
(wait, does that mean no Tiger and Bunny nendoroids or figmas?)

Bandai is on staff for the show and have the master toy license in Japan so you wont be seeing any figmas, Nendos, Revoltechs, or any other figures unless they're made by Bandai. Bandai is working on figures in their SHFiguarts line which are roughly figma sized, fully articulated, and have diecast parts (which ups the price a bit). They're starting with Wild Tiger who sold out in online pre-orders within hours of going up everywhere which is a testament to the show's popularity in Japan among otaku.

Hopefully Bandai retains the license in the US so they can keep the sponsor names on the figures and release the SHFiguarts to the comic market. Even if they do kids toys they usually turn out pretty nice. I seriously hope Mattel doesn't get the toy license, they wont do female figures unless it's for DC and WWE. Their Naruto and Avatar lines were doomed from the start because they said boys didn't want figures of core female characters like Sakura and Katara and refused to make them. Hasbro is a little more flexible, but these days they're only interested in big movies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
God, people get butt-hurt so easily.

Just because you don't fall within the INTENDED DEMOGRAPHIC of a show doesn't mean you aren't welcome, and that there won't be some merchandise aimed at you. Other than apparel, most merch isn't even gender specific.

The demographic mentioned is who, mainstream audience-wise, they're INTENDING to bring into the fold. The low-hanging fruit, potential audience-wise.

It's a testosterone-fuelled superhero show with lots of fighting. You were expecting them to go after the Twilight market? Or perhaps the Sex in the City market?

Viz, and American-driven merch in general, is aimed at a mainstream market. You're an anime nerd. You're already here. Any marketing directed at you would be preaching to the choir.

Whether mainstream girls would like T&B is up for debate, but somehow I don't see it becoming the talk of the popular girls' lunch table in most American high schools.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whether mainstream girls would like T&B is up for debate, but somehow I don't see it becoming the talk of the popular girls' lunch table in most American high schools.

Girl A: Omigawd guys, did you catch Tiger and Bunny last night?
Girl B: Totally! Bunny is such a hunk.
Girl A: Ugh, you would go for Bunny. Tiger is totally where it's at.
Girl B: Why do you always go for the old guys? Although, he is probably younger than you last BF.
Girl A: Because the boys our age soooooo lame. Old guys ftw!
Girl C: Blue Rose is such a slut.
Girls A and B: Totally.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I still can't help feeling vaguely insulted; implying gender divides in something like anime is always a bad move. But like I said, I'm too amused to really care.
It does make me wonder if VIZ also consider Code Geass and Death Note to be 'manly men's anime for men' Laughing
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I laugh that people really care about that little blurb.

Nice to know that Viz is going to do something with the license though. I mainly just want the DVDs, but a couple pieces of Kotetsu merch would be nice.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I still can't help feeling vaguely insulted; implying gender divides in something like anime is always a bad move. But like I said, I'm too amused to really care.

Marketing is, by its very nature, a cynical enterprise. Don't take it too seriously.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@jsevakis
Sorry, I feel as though I started this, though I never meant it as a complaint. I understand why for merchandizing purposes, they'll want to play-up the "action" element of it, which means aiming it at the young males. Like I said, while I may buy this series (assuming it doesn't crap out in the last few episodes), chances are I'm not buying a lot of merc for it. I don't have anywhere to wear it anymore now that I'm working and out of college.

What amuses me that yet again I'm totally into a male-targeted show and have no interest in Viz's big female-targeted shows (i.e. Vampire Knight and Kuroshitsuji). Those have even more crazed slash-happy fangirls than Tiger & Bunny ever will... which accounts for about 20% of my distaste for them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I still can't help feeling vaguely insulted; implying gender divides in something like anime is always a bad move.

Manga does it all the time! Shounen Jump? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3