• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Named N. American Licensor of Tiger and Bunny Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
championferret wrote:
I still can't help feeling vaguely insulted; implying gender divides in something like anime is always a bad move.

Manga does it all the time! Shounen Jump? Laughing

True, but even VIZ seem to treat that more like a label than anything else. I've never seen them say that any of their Jump series are exclusively targeted at boys.

I'm not trying to turn this into a giant big deal or anything, don't get me wrong, it's just that I feel I'd have less of a :/ face had they just said 'young adults'.

Particularly when it's Tiger & Bunny...you know. Laughing
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmaaikwd0K1qjyrjoo1_500.png
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I seriously don't understand why people are getting so worked up about the people commenting on the age demographic thing like it's offensive to them to criticize Viz or something. Geez. I mean, the posts seem more like light-hearted sarcasm than "bitching". Rolling Eyes

That said, a lot of shows that tend to have a higher male to female ratio have a large female audience; it's similar to how the opposite is usually the case with the male audience.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a show about super heroes with a scantily clad female heroine and lots of buff dudes with super powers. "Tiger & Bunny" description = "The Avengers" = "The Justice League". Remove the "it's an anime" aspect from the show and explain why the target demo would be anything OTHER than the 16-30 male comic nerd demo that is the main audience for the other two.

In fact, I thought most women explain their reasoning for getting into manga as because it is NOT exactly like American comics.

(and yes, I'm fully aware that the above comments represent an incredibly superficial comparison of the properties)
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
It's a show about super heroes with a scantily clad female heroine and lots of buff dudes with super powers.

Except there's only one buff dude (who doesn't get to do a lot), a heroine who's not scantily clad, a stereotypical gay dude with pink hair and make-up... and so on. And our main character likes to call his partner "Bunny" and said partner seems to have a penchant for carrying him bridal style.

I see why Viz wants to market it to superhero fans but once you actually watch the show it's still very much anime and aside of the surface not much like American superhero comics. Just because it has superheroes doesn't mean it will appeal to the main demographic of US superhero fans, especially the dark & edgy sort.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Not just Bunny, Bunny-chan. Laughing
(and yes, I think it's still very 'anime' and not at all like western superheroes. I dont even think they look like western superheroes really (with the exception of maybe Fire Emblem who looks kind of like a campy Flash); their designs are more like Tokusatsu/Kamen fighter/'ranger' shows in Japan IMO. I think Panty & Stocking is more 'un-anime' than Tiger & Bunny, just my view)

However, despite me being both amused and irked I'd honestly rather they not try to reel in more fangirls. Just yesterday I was celebrating the fact that I'd finaly found a fandom that wasn't full of screaming idiots for once (as a survivor of the Hetalia fandom, you have no idea how much this means to me. I'd just really like to be part of a fandom where people won't judge me due to the behaviour of others in it)

Anyway this doesn't have much effect on me/Australia because Siren Visual has already licensed it here (I'm not sure if/when they release DVDs though.) It's streaming on ANN AU actually....was T&B already streaming somewhere legally in the US? Just curious.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
lol, the statement about demographics really sounds a little desperate to me. Like, "It IS for boys. We SWEAR. Don't click that pixiv link! No! NooooooooO!"

I don't really care, though, because the makers of the show know who's watching and they always put some nice stuff in there for the fangirls. As long as Viz gives us a faithful translation on any future dvd/bluray releases, I don't really care that they'd like to pretend I (yet another 26-year-old female) didn't exist Razz

Quote:
It's streaming on ANN AU actually....was T&B already streaming somewhere legally in the US? Just curious.

Yeah, on ANN and Hulu... and maybe somewhere else? I dunno. I catch it on Hulu Smile
Oh, and just so you know, fandom = screaming idiots. Period. Just sometimes you find people you can get along with too.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
@jsevakis
Sorry, I feel as though I started this, though I never meant it as a complaint. I understand why for merchandizing purposes, they'll want to play-up the "action" element of it, which means aiming it at the young males. Like I said, while I may buy this series (assuming it doesn't crap out in the last few episodes), chances are I'm not buying a lot of merc for it. I don't have anywhere to wear it anymore now that I'm working and out of college.

Yeah, I was just joking too. I understand why they have demographics and at the same time know that pretty much they aren't applicable to much else besides advertisement.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
@jsevakis
Sorry, I feel as though I started this, though I never meant it as a complaint. I understand why for merchandizing purposes, they'll want to play-up the "action" element of it, which means aiming it at the young males. Like I said, while I may buy this series (assuming it doesn't crap out in the last few episodes), chances are I'm not buying a lot of merc for it. I don't have anywhere to wear it anymore now that I'm working and out of college.

Yeah, I was just joking too. I understand why they have demographics and at the same time know that pretty much they aren't applicable to much else besides advertisement.

And plus, for me it's the age even more than the gender. How many comments have you heard/read on this site about how great it is to FINALLY have a show where the leads aren't teenagers? While I think the outside-the-fandom appeal is going to definitely be at the same target audience as comic book movies, within the fandom this is going to skew a little older than usual. Hopefully they (or someone) will put out a few things older folks wouldn't mind being caught with.
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
23 year old female...
So finally perhaps some decent toys and figures of the male characters?

Would really like to see a figma of Barnaby and Kotetsu
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
22 yr old female here and don't really care about the intended demographics thing...though I'd be curious what the intended demographics think about the slashtastic materials within (though I might exaggerating the amount due to having permenant slash goggles on).

And why are people all citing the recent bridal carry incident in ep10 as irrefutable evidence of the slash potential? THAT CAME SO LATE! It was pretty obvious since the first time they showed the ending...or at least ep.5's "Bunny's birthday present should be me" incident...

And would they rerelease the Tiger figurarts? I'm also interested if they make figures of them without the hero suit.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
But yes, this kind of series is going to have female fans. And that link to Pixiv did not surprise me at all. I'm not much of a slasher myself, but I know many of my fellow female anime fans certainly are, both here and abroad. Laughing
No kidding. I've been waiting for some of the doujinshi to start to making the scanalation rounds and last week my prayers were answered. Anime hyper

This:
streexanime wrote:
So finally perhaps some decent toys and figures of the male characters?
and this:
momogoldfish wrote:
And would they rerelease the Tiger figurarts? I'm also interested if they make figures of them without the hero suit.
I saw the Tiger Figuarts when it was up for preorder but I decided I'm holding out for a streetclothes version of the guys.

(And yeah, if you really had your heart set on the Figuarts action figure, I bet after it's actually released you'll be able to find it somewhere--say, AmiAmi, HLJ, or HS-- for a short while at least. They've just stopped taking preorders, which isn't necessarily the same as being sold out, forever, in perpetuity. You'll just have to keep checking back in.)

Anyway I really, really hope they don't only make nice, non-action figures of Blue Rose (because she's the teenage girl, of course Rolling Eyes) and ignore, y'know, the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3