• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (final)

Epic showdown, fittingly raising the bar multiple times, and piercing the heavens. After watching it a lot of me wants to just forgive all the problems I had with the series, and rate it the highest marks, but it gets Excellent from me, which noting my earlier thoughts is a very good rating.

If I had to say some personal favourite parts of the ending, it would come down to Mako spoiler[interrupting and promising for them to go on a date afterwards]. She said that Ryuko had to spoiler[win in the name of fashion, and the date was not really a romantic thing, it was girls just hanging out], which kind of works with the first ED which is played during it. Satsuki also spoiler[cut her hair showing that she could be more feminine now], and there was an emphasis that they had kind of spoiler[graduated from sailor uniforms. Ryuko's look of longing kind of being like someone looking back on their] time at school. Gamagori also had spoiler[flowers as we saw the Four spying on the], that better have meant what I wanted. Gamagori was pretty sweet in the episode, even with the spoiler[cheap trick of making us think he was taken out].

I was pulled in by both the hot bloodiness and even emotional moments. Ryuko went spoiler[Super Saiyan], and it was completely fine. And who thought about the long running foreshadowing? From reading comments I also just spotted a Weyland Corp sign at 12:23, everything suddenly makes so much sense, I think.

I await the OVA.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
All you guys complaining about "style over substance." What makes you assume that substance was their objective anyway?

I know right. Well, maybe folks expected way to much out it. But I've seen people on other forums complain about "cerebral" (in other words explaining what had not been explained and not feeling rushed) vs "just going along for the ride". I mean even if some felt that it was the best is it so wrong? I mean folks go and see crappy movies all the time, this is one reason why you have people that make a career out of critiquing "B" films. I loved KLK. It's the one show that I watched religiously every week it came out. So for me I didn't really care whether stuff didn't make sense. Hell, I even sat back and tried piecing and asking questions, but did it take away from the good stuff I felt about the show? I hadn't felt this good about a show in a long time. But there is something else there of why folks are complaining and that might be because they expected too much. I keep things simple. When I want complex I look for complex. When I want something simple then I look for simple. I think KLK did what the creators intended it to do. They gave it enough stuff while just fooling around and having fun.

But let's hear what others have to say.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
I'm giving this pup a Very Good. Loved its crazy, high octane energy. Definitely a lot of imagination and humour on display. It's a little hard for me to articulate why I'm not rating this as Excellent, but as always, my ratings are a reflection of my own personal enjoyment of a show (as opposed to an attempt to "objectively" determine the quality of a title) and Very Good just feels more in line.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
It was okay. Kind of fun. Wasn't as sold on the excitement as much as other people were.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Bummed to see this go Sad Kill la Kill pretty much WAS this anime season for me lol My friend rates this a MASTERPIECE, while I give this an EXCELLENT. His reasoning is that it was exactly what it was supposed to be--fast paced ridiculous action. I feel the same. I would have given it masterpiece as well, but that defeat was a little dissapointing. Still, amazing show. Definitely reccomend, and deginiyely going to buy. I just wish Funimation had licensed this... Sad
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
I did not get it.
This was like watching two six year old kids playing.
"Here is my super attack!"
"AGHH! Well here is my super duper attack!"
"Curse you! Well here is my ultra super duper attack!"
etc..
Fun, if you are the one playing. Fun to watch... for a short time.

The last episode kind of took this to the extreme, which was the natural progression.

An exchange toward the end summed it up:

"What is this nonsensical garbage you are spouting?"
"Nonsensical is our thing!"

It was fun in 24 minute weekly doses. Though I think the story could have been fit into a much more well animated 6 episode OVA.
mad mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Finale was good, but somehow disappointing in not being able to live up to my expectations. Between that and all the meandering in the last third of the show, (Episode 23 was fantastic, though.) my opinion of the show is a little lower then it was just a week or two ago.

It was still an amazing ride and I'm glad I watched it, but I think all the seams in the story from making it up as they went along got a bit too obvious at the end. Ah well. Even so it's one of my favorite shows in the last few years and I look forward to Triggers next project and the OVA.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm giving this pup a Very Good. Loved its crazy, high octane energy. Definitely a lot of imagination and humour on display. It's a little hard for me to articulate why I'm not rating this as Excellent, but as always, my ratings are a reflection of my own personal enjoyment of a show (as opposed to an attempt to "objectively" determine the quality of a title) and Very Good just feels more in line.

I am in agreement with Blood-. This show gets Very Good from me. It was a relatively exciting show with a lot of roller coaster type ups and downs. The concept behind the story was pretty unique and well conceived. The battles were high-octane and action-packed. The anti-hero was very well done, and Ryuko/Senketsu were interesting enough protagonists. Had Kill la Kill followed those things up with a fully coherent plot and strong development and consistent use of its secondary characters, I would probably be rating it as either excellent or masterpiece. However, those other areas were very poorly done and drag the show down a bit from the heights it would otherwise achieve.

Just as an example of one of my issues with the plot (and perhaps the most glaring example), is how insanely fast the plot sped up in the final episode. Several massive, purely magical/inexplicable last-second power-ups were pulled out of some immense ass in the sky over the course of the final showdown. The two that made me roll my eyes the most were the one where Ragyo is like spoiler["Nui!! cut off your head and somehow magically merge with the original life fiber, and then somehow absorb into my body to make my monster grow!"] and the one where Ryuko was like, spoiler["Okay, everyone! Magically give me all of your uniforms, somehow they will all just come to me and Senketsu will transform into a more fashionable version of himself! Oh yea, and I'll get DBZ hair. I always wanted DBZ hair."] As I said, there were several other similar ass-pulls, like when spoiler[Gamagoori was seemingly dead, but then came back to life and suddenly became like super mega brute force and ripped open the life-fiber protection thingy on the transmitter even though it was supposedly impossible for them to get through.] Kill la Kill has routinely taken these kinds of liberties, and assumed that no one would care because of how stylish the show is when it does it. The show is much too serious to take these things as simple satire, either. If this were a comedy, maybe some of that kind of stuff would work, but it's not and I think they are major examples of weakness in Kill la Kill's writing.

As I mentioned above, the show also was bad in how it developed some of its characters. There were certain characters in Kill la Kill who could have been awesomely developed, but were instead very one dimensional. In a better show, and particular a masterpiece show, such characters would have been better developed. The most prime examples are probably Ragyo, Mako, and Nui. However, even among the more secondary characters there were a few who we saw consistently throughout the show and were never developed, but who also were intriguing to me. The biggest two in that category were Mitsuzo Soroi (Satsuki's butler) and Rei Hoomaru (Ragyo's assistant woman). They seemed to be in the position of "right-hand man/woman," and had some importance to Satsuki and Ragyo , but we never really understood what their stories were.

I probably don't need to explain how Ragyo, Mako and Nui could have been better developed. It should be fairly obvious, though if anyone wants to discuss that further I would certainly be happy to.

I thought Satsuki was the best developed character in the show. Ryuko, Senketsu, and Ryuko's dad were probably just below her in the development department. The "elite 4" characters under Satsuki each got a little bit of development, but it was mostly on the surface. Gamagoori probably stood out the most among them.

Yea, so like I said, overall it was a fun ride of a show, but it didn't do nearly enough on the fundamentals to deserve excellent or masterpiece in my humble opinion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@ ChibiKangeroo - you don't consider Kill la Kill to be a comedy? I consider it an action-comedy myself. That's why I didn't sweat much of the stuff you mentioned with respect to plot and character development.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
It was okay. Kind of fun. Wasn't as sold on the excitement as much as other people were.

I'm basically the same. I gave it 8/10 for entertainment value, Satsuki, and fun visuals, but that's a far cry from how I felt towards Gurren Lagann when that was airing.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ ChibiKangeroo - you don't consider Kill la Kill to be a comedy? I consider it an action-comedy myself. That's why I didn't sweat much of the stuff you mentioned with respect to plot and character development.

I did not consider it a comedy. I thought of Kill la Kill as a highly stylized and occasionally tongue-in-cheek action shonen series, targeted more towards Otaku than teenaged boys in general.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I think you might be in the minority in not seeing this, in part, as a comedy. I don't mean just a show that had comedic elements but one where comedy is one of the identifiable genres at play. For a "serious" fighting show, I think of something like X TV.

I'm curious as to what other people think. Would you say Kill la Kill is an action-comedy?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I think you might be in the minority in not seeing this, in part, as a comedy.

CK has her own worldview on these things my friend.

In this you have it right -- this is written and drawn and acted as a dark comedy from floor to ceiling. It has more in common with a Road Runner cartoon than it does with any serious drama. Even ones with significant amounts of humor.

If the dozens of astoundingly obvious visual artifacts, ridiculously exaggerated tropes, completely freewheeling storyline, rabidly screamed dialog, violent outcomes Wiley E. Coyote's stunt double wouldn't put up with and all the rest hasn't made someone realize what it is they are looking at then they simply aren't equipped to understand. Just leave it at that.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I think you might be in the minority in not seeing this, in part, as a comedy.

CK has her own worldview on these things my friend.

In this you have it right -- this is written and drawn and acted as a dark comedy from floor to ceiling. It has more in common with a Road Runner cartoon than it does with any serious drama. Even ones with significant amounts of humor.

If the dozens of astoundingly obvious visual artifacts, ridiculously exaggerated tropes, completely freewheeling storyline, rabidly screamed dialog, violent outcomes Wiley E. Coyote's stunt double wouldn't put up with and all the rest hasn't made someone realize what it is they are looking at then they simply aren't equipped to understand. Just leave it at that.

I'm sure I could draw numerous comparisons between Kill la Kill and most modern action shounen series. So if you are arguing that nearly all current shounen series are actually comedies, then maybe we are just having an issue of semantics. The fact of the matter is, most of these shows nowadays use humor, over-the-top visual and tongue-in-cheek dialogue/actions because it is expected in shows that aren't particularly dark. FMA, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail, I could go on and on. Are all of those comedies? No.

And by the way, I didn't say that there were no humorous elements in Kill la Kill. I am distinguishing between shows like Kill la Kill, and straight-up comedy shows that don't require narrative or character development. All of the examples I gave above spend a pretty large amount of time developing their characters, and probably an equal amount of time carefully crafting a long, engaging plot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, to a certain extent, it is a matter of semantics. When does a show that has comedic elements cross over and have comedy be one of its identifying genres? This judgment will vary from person to person. Corpse Princess has some (goofily incongruous) comedic elements, but I wouldn't say that "comedy" is one of its dominant genres. I would put Kill la Kill in that category for the reasons that HaruhiToy outlined.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 60