• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Great Canadian Trigun: Badlands Rumble Give Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
I was one of the lucky few who won a ticket to Trigun at the SilverCity Riverport Theatre in Richmond. There were probably a couple of dozen people in the theatre. Shortly after the movie started, we knew there was a problem as the sub-titles weren't making any sense. Turns out we were only seeing the top line of the sub-titles. Anything below that was being cut off. Some passages of dialogue didn't have any sub-title text because it was only one line that was being displayed and it was in the area that was cut off. After almost twenty minutes and half a dozen people notifying various theatre staff, they finally realised there was a problem and changed the aspect ratio to 16:9, which resulted in the full set of sub-titles being displayed. Fortunately, the theatre restarted the movie after the sub-title problem was fixed, so we did end up seeing the movie as it was intended.

Despite the sub-title problem, I still appreciate Funimation working with their partners to show some of these titles on the big screen. I've been to three of them now, and wouldn't hesitate to go to more viewings, if they're available.

In regards to the movie itself, I quite liked it. It was pretty much self contained and was enjoyable as a stand-alone story. There was a nice balance of humour and yes, even drama. And this coming from someone who has never seen an episode of Trigun.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Didn't win any tickets but I did go to the screening at the Scotiabank theater in Toronto. Very good screening this time around, Evangelion 2.22 was a mess but Trigun had a very high quality screening with excellent picture and sound quality. Theater was only about half full but still a good crowd, best of all the crowd was mostly silent with no obnoxious yelling or outbursts. Film itself exceeded expectations, did not expect much going in but Badlands Ramble was IMO a very good one off side story. Animation was definitely the best part, the TV series was pretty spotty so it was nice to see Trigun with high production values.

Overall a very good experience, will definitely be picking up the blu-ray when it comes out in September. I highly recommend people check this out when the US screenings happen in July its 100% worth it.
taggy666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
I went to the show with my fiance, and it was a full theatre! glad to see so many anime fans in Nova Scotia! Very Happy

the movie was excellent! the imaging and sound was right on, and it was subtitled! :O I was happy, since I prefer the original voices...plus i find it really easy to read the subs and watch the screen when it is 30 feet tall! Razz

all in all, it was a truly excellent and memorable experience. thanks so much ANN for sending me to this movie...for FREE! ^^

mmmmmm free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2