• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I also like dtm42's idea of "most aesthetically daring".
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
I thought one of the moderators made a comment that having a mod was a requirement due to these threads causing more reports than normal, and to make sure the debate confides with the rules of ANN.

Threads in the Talkback sub-forum often break rules, incite nastiness and go off topic, yet they don't need a Mod to start them (just to end them).

I dunno, on our own I think we can have a tournament that is no less civilised that other threads in the Anime sub-forum. And it's not like a general user running the tournament prevents mods from stepping in at any time to deal with trouble. Especially if people are vigilant and report trouble before it gets out of hand.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
I also like Most Aesthetically Daring a lot. It would be nice to do something based more on design than writing but would have more substance than something focused on character designs.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
I thought one of the moderators made a comment that having a mod was a requirement due to these threads causing more reports than normal, and to make sure the debate confides with the rules of ANN.

Has nothing to do with that; in fact, we rarely have gotten reports about the game threads because people don't usually casually browse those. It's just easier to manage certain aspects of the formatting with a Moderator involved, partly because a lot of post editing (especially of the OP) is involved and partly because problem formatting used by others during the set-up phases sometimes needs to be corrected. However, it could be done be run by a regular player as long as that person is fully committed to administering the game week in, week out and has a Web site available to host any Guide-type files that might be needed. I have always used the back end of a personally-constructed anime Web page that I've maintained for years (but not updated the front end of for a long time) because I find it useful for such random purposes, but one could pretty easily come up with something else, I think.

Seriously, if someone else is willing to commit to getting the ball rolling on a new game and administering it, I'm willing to support, advise, and participate. I just won't be running it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Do the guide entries have to be hosted on a website? Can they not be put on a downloadable pdf? I mean sure, online would be best so the individual entries can be linked to, but I doubt most people have their own website.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
I will do it. Like I said before, I'd definitely be willing to run the tournament of Most Aesthetically Daring.

I don't have a website, but there exist several ways of distributing the relevant information which I could use. I say let's do it!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
I like your enthusiasm Galap.

The biggest obstacle to having another tournament - even more important than picking a theme - is finding someone with the time, energy and passion to run it. So unless someone else puts their hand up to run the next tournament then I say we go with you since you're so keen. And because the theme you're most passionate about is Most Aesthetically Daring, then we might as well go with that. I'm not saying that because it was my idea but because at this point I just want any tournament at all, no matter what the theme may be. If the person who is most eager to run a tournament wants to do a certain theme then we should go with whatever that is.

However, it's up to you to provide clear criteria and frame of reference, just so that we're all on the same page. I mean, the word "aesthetic" basically means "beautiful", yet there are lots of ways to judge an anime's beauty. The music, the emotional impact, the pathos, the storyboarding/shot selection, the editing, the tone and atmosphere, and so on. If you just want to focus on beautiful visuals then that's perfectly fine by me; just make sure it is clear from the outset. It might pay to re-evaluate the tournament's name to make sure it accurately reflects what exactly you want us to be looking at/judging things by.

Whenever you're ready, start the nominations thread and we'll get the ball rolling.

(I don't mean to be pushy, I'm just eager myself to get this underway. My apologies if it feels like I'm twisting yours or anyone else's arm.)
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Galap and I have been talking about this and since we know this is a lot of work, I can also help to pick up the slack if he has a bad week or if I find myself with a bunch of time. I think with this system in place and Key around for advice, it shouldn't be too difficult. We're thinking of writing the nomination thread pretty soon; it's just a matter of ironing out the criteria as you said, dtm.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Do the guide entries have to be hosted on a website? Can they not be put on a downloadable pdf? I mean sure, online would be best so the individual entries can be linked to, but I doubt most people have their own website.

A downloadable .pdf would work if you meet two conditions:

1) You're prepared to have all of it done up front.
2) You're reasonably certain you won't be updating it periodically.

Back when we were still doing video clips, the .pdf format wouldn't have been feasible, but we aren't doing those anymore so there's a lot less need for regular updates. Hence the main barrier is #1. Don't underestimate how much up-front work is involved when you're talking about a field of 128; I was typically doing 32 per week for the first four weeks because it was just too much to get done in advance without requiring a month-long lead-in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
^
Depending on the focus of the tournament and the criteria chosen, the field might be less than 128. My gut preference is 32, but that's just me.

One thing that might work is to have a different pdf for each group, i.e. four in all. That way it can be staggered through one each week without having to do everything at once. Plus with four smaller files it means that people don't have to scan through a humongous file trying to find the particular guide entry they want.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
Galap and I have been talking about this and...

That's great news. Thanks for helping out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Think Bakemonogatari, FLCL, Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Kaiba, PMMM, that sort of thing.

I try not to think on these but here we go {From the topic title, I just knew these titles would pop up because imagination doesn't apply}:

Gankutsuou: Someone wanted to find a new application for computer color fill. Hasn't been done since besides "unmoving plaid" {itself nothing new in cel animation} because, yeah....

Bakemonogatari: Make the most out of your limited animation budget, just animate 5 minutes per each 20! An idea not lost on Trigger...

PMMM You know how otherworldly improperly integrated CGI looks? Well, you do now!

Would you like to talk actual aesthetics or just shows where they got stuck on the design phase? {Look at PMMM: They spent so much time on the witch universe, they forgot to give character to the "not quite future" real world which just reinforced how different it was; Would it have been so different to set the show in the present?}

I suppose to keep the whole headache thing down for all involved, I should promise not to participate. We all know the last thing these things need is a differing opinion...

My most daring aesthetic vote: Nichijou. Oh, the colors I've seen...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
^
Differing opinions are perfectly fine. In fact, that's why tournaments exist; to debate the many differing opinions regarding a particular topic and attempt to come to a consensus on which one is the best.

You're most welcome to participate. And I think Nichijou is a good nomination.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 34 of 34