• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately both of these past two tourney's were killers for me. Killers of my interest. I'd come to the thread with intent to vote, look at them and couldn't muster enthusiasm. If someone felt the world building in one was better than the other- that's fine... and it really felt wrong to vote against stuff I hadn't seen with this one. Even when my one nomination, the Tenchi (OVA) universe, came up I could find no fault in arguing against those that didn't like it or believe my reasons for liking it (which are based on intimate knowledge and delving into aspects most don't) could convince anyone.

Anyway, a suggestion I made long ago that I think might work, but I think was tossed aside in part because it was misunderstood is most precocious, the problem being that it's a word that not everyone really understands. It's not "precious", it's not moe, it isn't even exactly about being a kid.

Precocious: having or showing the qualities or abilities of an adult at an unusually early age.

A child genius is precocious, but so is a "girl with a gun" or a true lolita character, or a teen mecha operator.

To me it would be about who defines both their real age AND an advanced trait of maturity

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Most precocious actually sounds interesting to me, so A+ for that.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
With most precocious, Kate Hoshimiya from World Conquest Zvezda Plot is probably at the top of the list!
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Most Precocious sounds really fun. I'd definitely love to see that. Smile
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
I blame the time of the year. Its the near the end of the fiscal year. Perhaps a Biggest Loser or Biggest Otaku tournament would be more light hearted and popular.

Biggest Loser
or Biggest Otaku sound promising, not too serious, easy to quantify, and most importantly will include many characters that haven't been good choices in previous tournaments.

Most Precocious also seems interesting if we can nail down the qualities and what characters would be eligible. Anime is notorious for putting child-like character in adult situations, and I think the defining factor would to be find character that are not in adult situations, but have decision making skills and emotional maturity of adults. Again, that might be troublesome since a lot of those kind of characters are painted as stoic, which is almost impossible to differentiate. I do think evaluating the pragmatic, and emotional maturity qualities would be key, which is often absent in this sort of combination - you usually just have one or the other in anime.

I also agree using the word precocious is bound to cause confusion. What about Most Mature/Adult-like/Pragmatic non-adult character? Obviously, just using one of those, but I think pragmatic may change the intent and the results slightly, but it may also be the most interesting option overall. Pragmatic or practical thinking is easy to define, and it is also easy to identify weaknesses and strengths. Lelouch or Light may seem pragmatic on the surface, but if you dig deeper they make many mistakes blinded by their childish emotional state. I think even a Most Pragmatic tournament on its own may yield interesting results, and other than lifting the child restriction the intent isn't much different than Most Precocious.

I don't think its the time pull out repeat tournament just yet; there are still other popular past choices, like Best Mentor, Best Leader or my version of Biggest Loser, Least Successful. I do think the first two need to be delayed due them to be similar to other tournament topics, though.

To battle our waning participation, we could move the thread to talk-back. I don't think an article on this ANN tradition is completely unreasonable. These tournaments have been going on for 7 plus years and have had several thousand replies. Heck, even an article might boost the number even if week it in this thread. I also agree picking the right topic is important. A popular choice is ideal, but we also want something that will create a good discussion and has a clear criteria of what separate a borderline choice from a strong one.

The other factor suppressing voter participation is the rather high time commitment to vote for up to 16 choices and provide reasoning for all votes in the later rounds. How about we keep the option for the current system and have those votes count two times, but also have a poll option where people can just cast their vote on their choices without taking much time at all? Instant higher participation numbers, and still there's still a compelling reason to vote the normal way. Obviously, you would have to restrict the poll to once per user, but I think ANN already has a mechanism for that.

Yes, the end of the fiscal year is always busy for people in many industries, especially finance and accounting. I am in database and predictive analytical consulting, and this time of the year is still busy for me. I don't have the data to back it up, but it always seems like the end of the year and the first quarter always has lower participation.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I will admit that there is a major problem with most precocious. There are many types of precocious, and although I wish we wouldn't focus only one kind, the most "mature" ones. The geniuses, the young military leaders, the pragmatics, are the ones that would dominate over those that are just determined to be more adult.
The smarter geniuses would beat out the less accomplished ones,
the mecha drivers would take out the musicians.

and I actually did have the same idea as Beltane... Kate Hoshimiya from World Conquest Zvezda is actually VERY hard to argue against. Truly a child that seemingly far outstrips her age.

maybe it wouldn't work after all-- Confused

pragmatic might be easier to define... but in my opinion it'd also be boring as one could imagine.

I'd still like to bring a little youth and variety into it though...

Best Coming of Age Story / character?

It could touch on precocious characters but still have variety.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
What is with this goddamn bug? So irritating.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

I like it. But it isn't a light and fluffy topic, so perhaps we should just put it on the back-burner.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I like it. But it isn't a light and fluffy topic, so perhaps we should just put it on the back-burner.

I dunno, I think that was basically covered by the "most improved" tournament.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Seconded on a lighter non cerebral topic. Most Improved Character was my first tournament and it was exhausting because late rounds required basically writing essays on what was most effectively a popularity poll. The ANN community, at least the one that participates in these tournaments, seems to have a relatively homogenous "taste", so the late rounds became excruciatingly boring, since no argument was going to change anyone's mind on whether to vote Princess Tutu or 12K. I didn't even participate in this tournament except to propose one nomination and make one vote in an early round. Most Moe Redux or Best Mascot sound like great ideas for a lighter tournament that wouldn't require writing a dissertation to make a vote and that could have an interesting and sizable pool of candidates to pick from. Also, I hate this odious "phantom last page" bug
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
I am not interested in Most Moe, but I may participate in Best Mascot. It will probably not change my mind that Nyanko-sensei is the greatest mascot, but it sounds fun. Smile

What do you think about Best character-driven or Best plot-driven? Not that I want them do now, but in the future.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Thinking some more, I think Best Transformation Scene would be good for something light. It might be limited to certain genres, but that means people should have an easier time thinking of examples. Also you can find tons of clips on Youtube so people unfamiliar with the shows in question could easily have a look.

All the ones from Symphogear G are great. Miku and Hibiki's are particular stand outs.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
There's really no need for this thread to be stickied anymore, so I am taking it off that status.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people think the long format is the reason we had less turnout. It's mainly the topic's popularity and how much the topic generates a discussion. We need to be careful about picking a topic that would have trouble creating meaningful debate, such as Best Mascot. There aren't many defining factors and the topic as a whole is light on content. I'm all for a fun less serious choice as long as I forsee some interesting likely arguments. I do think the main reason votes are low is mainly because this thread requires longish replies and most posters are lazy even if ANN does attract a more verbose and mature audience. I do think it is a double edged sword to reduce the response requirements even though that's the easiest way to increase turnout.
farichada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
All this nonsense of what's causing the low participation aside, does anyone know if Dorcas_Aurelia is okay? It's really unlike him to not provide updates for several weeks. Add on the fact that his twitter, MAL and other social media have been dead for a while has me worried especially since he mentioned depression on MAL. I know I am kind of known as a drama-monger, but I think I am legitimately concerned. Anyone have a way to contact him?
mow123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
All this nonsense of what's causing the low participation aside, does anyone know if Dorcas_Aurelia is okay? It's really unlike him to not provide updates for several weeks. Add on the fact that his twitter, MAL and other social media have been dead for a while has me worried especially since he mentioned depression on MAL. I know I am kind of known as a drama-monger, but I think I am legitimately concerned. Anyone have a way to contact him?

What are you talking about? He just updated his twitter five days ago hinting that he has been spending a lot of time with a girl on a trip in a different state. He's probably just been busy with that or lost interest in this thread. I am disappointed he hasn't updated the minigame, but don't try to spread unnecessary fear and make drama out of nothing.

Dorcas_Aurelia if you read this, I know someone who can probably help me with handling the rest of the minigame scoring and helping out with the prizes if needed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 34