• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excel Saga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Excel Saga, a now 7-year old parody anime which was the first entire series I ever bought, and is still one of my favorite animes. (I am also a huge weird al fan, if it's any indication of my taste)

I greatly enjoyed this series the first time through, not even getting alot of the references. I made a few of my not-into-anime friends sit down and watch the final disc last night, and I honestly forgot how funny this show was. The entire Pedro-saga which at the end turns into a giant DBZ parody is my favorite aspect of the series (Nabe-habe-ha!). I didn't even realize right awat the significance of Pedro dying then coming back to life (lol). Excel's elongated nonsensical speeches sometimes make my head want to explode, but I guess that was the point. Same with the utter lack of plot development until episode 23, but again that's what they intended.

Other people's opinions on this? Favorite moments or parodies from the show?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
This is definetly one of my favorites as well. Every time I watch it I get more of the parodies and references, or notice more of the stranger things in the background. My favorite parody would have to be the yaoi episode, handsdown. As much as I like bishounen, I've never really understood why so many girls my age love yaoi, and that episode just confirms my beliefs about it.
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I remembered my first show animation I used to watch was Sailor Moon. I have to face it I love that show......Yeah beautiful moments. suddenly DBZ was my second favorite show...and until now I keep watching shows!!!!

What was funny during school, my friends would get mad at me, because I would end up talking about shows/episode. Of course they would just talk about novels(novelas) from TV. I still talk about anime always...specially drawing them. I least my brothers understand those subjects of cartoons/anime.... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Dranix, which episode are you referring to, the episode about "Key?"

Interesting side note: episode 4 called love puny in the english version was Love Hena in the original.

ALSO, If I had to pick a favorite episode, it might be 7: Melody of an Underground Passage. Horror parody + rampaging poochoos!
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, that one. It was so shameless and over the top, I loved it. And Excel's fantasy sequence with Key and Il Palazzo together in the flower fields had me in stitches. Other episodes I love include the dating sim episode, and the one where Excel and Hyatt go to America (I never watched the dub, but the Engrish "Your mother is... a pig!" in the sub was priceless. Almost as great as Il Palazzo's "I am coquettish.")
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that one. It was so shameless and over the top, I loved it. And Excel's fantasy sequence with Key and Il Palazzo together in the flower fields had me in stitches. Other episodes I love include the dating sim episode, and the one where Excel and Hyatt go to America (I never watched the dub, but the Engrish "Your mother is... a pig!" in the sub was priceless. Almost as great as Il Palazzo's "I am coquettish.")

Sub is hilarious too, they definitely took some liberties in a few spots but all in all it's a great dub. I think that part where they were like 'lets speak in their tongue" or whatever was "Your Moms a Ho" and "What up bitches!" ROFL

Oh man, the episode with Key: "I am a Key. I am the Key. And could you perhaps be.... my keyhole?"
UKfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved Excel saga. It's the funniest anime I've seen and I put the odd episode on now and then to cheer myself up.
It was also the cause of the only time I've actually fell of my bed laughing, the time Ropponmatsu eats the noodles after Iwata has a rant at her in the office. I don't know why but it was just too funny.
My favorite episodes are "Take Back Love" with the Ropponmatsu's and "Invasion Mother" with the Harlock parody.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
"I'll believe that when you eat spaghetti with your nose and peanuts with your eyes"

"AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ES was also the first anime I bought on DVD. I loved it. Must have watched the series like 5 or 6 times through... It's really hard for me to have a favorite episode since I liked so many of them. One of my favorites would have to be the episode when they went to America. I watched it dubbed first, but I found the subs funnier in this episode. Mainly because of the Engrish used at parts of it.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I must have watched it like 10 times alltogether. Still makes me laugh and just has so many great moments. Oddly, the manga is nowhere near as funny, this is definitile one of those matches made in heaven where the the director's own excentricity greatly improoves the original material.

PS: Illpalazzo rocking in ep 26 had me in literaslly rolling on the floor the first time I saw it.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a HUGE fan of the show, as I thought most of it was pretty boring, but there were a few REALLY funny parts for me. The one that nearly left me in tears was the dating sim episode, especially with the "Put it in" option that never seemed to go away regardless of the circumstances Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, I mostly enjoyed Excel Saga because I've always been such a fan of Project A-ko. I loved the parodies (especially the Leiji Matsumoto parody in episode 3) and the pacing was great.

Honestly, I think its humor hasn't aged a bit since its release. Just like its predecessor, Project A-ko, it serves as both a jab in the side, and a time capsule, of a great period of anime.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I too am a big Matsumoto fan. The episode which parodies Gundam, Yamato, and Harlock is classic. I'm glad that ADV did the pop up notes, since there were some references that I didn't catch. There are also a few that they missed like the "you are shocked" line from the Hokuto no Ken episode. I think they also goofed when their notes explained how Char dropped a colony on Autralia. The scene in Excel was paroding the intro to First Gundam, not Char's Counerattack which was not in Autralia. I don't think Char waas the one behind the colony drop in Autralia. Having recently rewatched volume 6 these two come to mind, I'll probably post all of the missed items if I rewatch the entire series again. I'm really glad that they released 26 episodes on 6 discs. This is one of the best R1 releases that I've seen. My only complaint is when companies use the dub voices on the menu screens. I don't know why it bothers me, since it really shouldn't.

edit: clarified the colony drop
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga is an old favorite of mine Very Happy I distinctly remember when I first saw it... a friend brought over a rental, and I was on the phone with another friend when she put it in, and the warning about the depraved walrus and whatnot comes up. I immedately todl the friend on the phone I had to go, this would require my full attention. I also remember showing a friend volume 2 with this explaination: "Now, there's going to be a lot going on you won't get... relax, they never explained it in the first place." Laughing

I suppose my favorite ep is the first one. I love the paramedics in that. ("Whoa! She's really dead! What do we do?" "Dump her behind a convenice store?") A close second is the dating sim.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
"Who puts a bomb in a dating game?"

i swear i've watched this show too many times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2