• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sugar High

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I found Grenadier much more readable than Petite Cossette, which was rather a slog. It's even more coherent than the anime? That's one anime to stay away from. *shudder*
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I forgot Oldboy is already out. I'll probobly make a point of buying it, as I can recall the scanslations being very solid. I guess my biggest problem, like just about everyone else who read it, is that I saw the superior (and radically different) movie first. It's a little hard to become engrossed with an old-school revenge manga when you're thinking of a cutting-edge, existential thriller. Neverless, I liked it and I'd guess that it will read betterthe second time since I know what to expect.
But I've really got to look into Sugar Sugar Rune. At first I was a little disapointed that they decided not to go with one of Anno's adult titles, but I've been hearing nothing but praise for it, and the plot sounds like a welcome change.
dposse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Is Tokyopop the publisher Carlo Santos was talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
dposse wrote:

I took a look at Tokyopop's new website and yeah, it's pretty clear he's talking about it.

It's very "we're trying really hard to be MySpace for manga fans".
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dposse wrote:

I took a look at Tokyopop's new website and yeah, it's pretty clear he's talking about it.

It's very "we're trying really hard to be MySpace for manga fans".

But come on, we ALL need someone to support our "manga lifestyle!"
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
God don't get me started on that TP looks like a myspace thing. I can't stand it. It's annoying. Anyway, I agree with the review on Q-Ko-Chan. It's a little easier to follow than FLCL but it's still WTF to me.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
dposse wrote:

Yes. My God it's awful. I couldn't find anything. Why did they do that? I have never seen my space so I don't know if they were immitating it, but if they were I am amazed my space is popular. It is a very confusing layout.

On Topic the Old Boy sounds really good. I will definately check it out. What is the movie that's so much better and is it licensed in the US.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Makes me want to check out Grenadier and Old Boy. The story of Old Boy kinda seems similar to one of the FPS games we have over here.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
On Topic the Old Boy sounds really good. I will definately check it out. What is the movie that's so much better and is it licensed in the US.

It's this movie. It's originally South Korean (Chan-wook Park=<3) but it's also available in the US through Tartan films, I believe. It's a great film and I highly recommend it. Even if Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

My manga lifestyle is supported by a badly-designed ergonomic chair and a supply of homemade cookies. Laughing
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:

My manga lifestyle is supported by a badly-designed ergonomic chair and a supply of homemade cookies. Laughing

Cookies! I can applaud them for trying, but if living a manga lifestyle means posting random pictures from a Google search and poorly made music videos on a Myspace clone, then I'll stick to just having a hobby.
Quote:
Even if Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was better.

Madness I say:D Not that I don't like Mr. Vengeance; I think it's an exellent film, but not without flaws. It was great in building sympathy for both characters despite the gruesome action, but it never really managed to examine anything beyond the actual process of revenge aside from some vague social commentary on class warfare. It reminded my of a less ambitious Virgin Spring (minus the copout-Christian ending Bergman inexplicably tacked on). Still sharply crafted for what it was and incredibly gripping on an emotional level, but Park showed much more sophistication in his craft, not to mention ambition with their examination of revenge, on his next two projects (Oldboy and Lady Vengeance), even if they were less emotionally intense and visceral. Just my take on matters, and all three are exellent and I would recommend them to anyone interested in contemporary Asian cinema.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the TokyoPop website, don't get me started. Its very annoying. Why does the "Books" link bring me to Manga and the Manga Serials bring me to someTHING else? Also, I may just be impatient but they had time to redesign it and stick NHK on there but low and behold where is Wild Adapter? And the layout is just, just, aggravating *sigh*

Also as a side note:
And are they going to update the Blu site? Where's Gakuen Heaven? Are they also going to release the Hideaki Nakajima 2nd volume?

I might as well make it a rant in general about website updating . . . when will GoComi! update theirs? Darn it, I need to know more about Black Sun Silver Moon . . .
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I like Qko-chan, but I think it would work better if it was an anime. Parts of it are really confusing, but so is everything else by Ueda-san. I love the bind-five-year-old artwork; there's just something so bizarrely endearing to it.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God, when I went to Tokyopop's website to check out some manga previews I was so confused and lost and baffled! What the hell. I was also not aware they made an Oldboy manga, though the film left quite an impression on me, so I don't feel the need to read a manga of it, even if it's very different. Also the world manga title looked pretty interesting. I guess it may not be fair to compare "world manga" or whatnot to regular manga, but I still wish they had a grade. Since Carlos finds pretty equal balance of pros and cons to say about any title, without a grade it's hard to see if overall the book is good or bad. Anyway, jolly ol' column, RTO may be my favorite... but I am still undecided. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Would you be the type to share? Cool

I bought a Grenadier DVD simply because it looked cool when it was in AMV Hell and the premise seemed harmless enough to give a try. I don't think I'll be gettin the manga, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3