• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote

Coppelion
Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: military

Plot Summary: Many years after a great tragedy killed 90% of the people in Japan, three girls arrive in the ruins of Tokyo. In the devastated capital, their unusually clean clothes set them apart. But that's not the only strange thing about them - they also each wield supernatural powers. They call themselves "Coppelion," and are on a mission to save the people of Tokyo.

Episode 1
I just watched it on Animax and this was a pretty good episode imo. The artwork was decent with this post apocalyptic feeling to it. Naruse is already my favorite in this show now so I'm looking to see her true potential soon.

Aww, spoiler[that hotel sure didn't last long did it? The dog was kinda scary in the second half too!] Overall has great potential so far in my opinion. Oh and that ED song is catchy as well. Wednesdays are going to be intense~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Also saw this on Animax Asia.

Great animation. And the voice acting sounds great especially Ibara whose voiced by Haruka Tomatsu.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
And I know it's a futile effort trying to decipher Japanese titles, but does "Coppelion" mean they turn out to be girl robots?
(Or are they just making these titles up? Wink )
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was some awkward exposition. "Here's something else you already know, fellow character in show!"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
If you were to genetically engineer a group of young girls to search for the last remains of humanity in a heavily contaminated mess why in the world would you make one of them like Aoi, who is completely afraid of even a little blood and is nothing but a nuisance who complains and bickers constantly during the mission?

This seems like a soul-less and inferior Gunslinger Girl.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Certainly this was intentional, but the set up "felt like a movie" which can be a difficult format but if pulled off just right this should be a very memorable series.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If you were to genetically engineer a group of young girls to search for the last remains of humanity in a heavily contaminated mess why in the world would you make one of them like Aoi, who is completely afraid of even a little blood and is nothing but a nuisance who complains and bickers constantly during the mission?
Ugh that character is so incredibly annoying.
Also shouldn't they have more weapons? You think someone would have considered the possibility of wild animals roaming around...
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Their skin are so pale. Anyway I wonder what the enemies are going to be since this was caused by opening spoiler[Pandora's box.] One minor complaint I have is why do they have to wear high school uniforms. They are special kids and, I assume, are a part of the government. So why the need to abuse the high school theme in an anime like this....
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Wow, that was some awkward exposition. "Here's something else you already know, fellow character in show!"

Really? If anything my gripe with the show was that there was pretty much ZERO exposition. Mind you the premise is obvious enough that it's not a really big deal but I do hope they start explaining stuff too. Other than that it seems like their worldbuilding so it's hard to say where it'll go till it gets past that phase.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other than that it seems like their worldbuilding so it's hard to say where it'll go till it gets past that phase.

Rule of thumb is wait 3 episodes, then the audience is free to slap a series if the viewership stills feels the show is still jerking the audience around.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

If she wasn't there and cowardly, they all would be dead. So probably it's good they're not all "in your face" and capable.

Was I the only thinking "Hey, that's not a dog..."?

I'm really intrigued by The Coffin as it's, whatis, huge, mysterious, imposing? It'll probably just turn into another Tower of Babel metaphor but I admit I'm curious for the time being.

As there's a good The Mist "mystery" vibe, irradiated mist at that, they got me going for many episodes, probably the whole season. I love a good Sci-Fi devastation location and as Godzilla has proven time and again, it's tough to beat Tokyo.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
If she wasn't there and cowardly, they all would be dead. So probably it's good they're not all "in your face" and capable.

Did I miss something that you apparently saw? How would they all be dead? Surely you don't think that the government/military entrusted these 3 girls to the task of scouring the wasteland to rescue survivors without giving them thorough military training? They weren't in any danger this episode from what I could tell.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, hey its Rana Linchen from Freezing and she's just as annoying here. Well at least she doesn't say "de arimisu" every other line.

I liked the backgrounds the most. I don't care for the thick black lines around the characters that make them look like cardboard cutouts on a background though.

They are high school aged girls? Ok fine, its anime I can accept that, but do they have to be in school uniforms? Really? They are going into a broken down, post-apocalyptic type area, with crumbling buildings and what-not. If they have the resources to spoiler[engineer these girls] couldn't they spring for some more--I don't know--durable clothing? Why would you spoiler[split the team up]? They can't wait the 5 minutes it would take spoiler[the girl to go talk or whatever she was going to do with the dog]? Rolling Eyes

Nice background art is all it has for me right now as there wasn't too much to the story. I'm willing to give it another 2-3 episodes for it to hook me. So far its eh, for me.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They are high school aged girls? Ok fine, its anime I can accept that, but do they have to be in school uniforms?

The most otaku based answer is circumstantially the most logical, it is (sadly) for fan service potential even if the series can come up with a "better answer" such as "it makes the genetically engineered girls feel like normal human beings".
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This episode did indeed feel like a movie, the shots the director took was very interesting, and the story seems solid I look forward to the next episode of this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12