• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Filler's Reception in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, we all hate the Naruto filler over here, but how is it being received in Japan? Sorry to start another Naruto filler thread but I'm extremely curious is anyone knows how Naruto's ratings have been doing since the filler started. I've never been a big fan of the anime, I follow the manga exclusively, but one has to wonder why they continue the filler when there is already so much great material in part 2 of the manga. I heard somewhere that the Japanese are actually enjoying it. >_>
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but one has to wonder why they continue the filler when there is already so much great material in part 2 of the manga.

i don't know the rating in japan, but i can answer this.

that's because there are not enough manga for the anime yet. you can get about 25-30 eps from current manga. unless you want them to show 30 eps, then go back to filler.
Webki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Spotlesseden"]
Quote:

unless you want them to show 30 eps, then go back to filler.

Yes, that would be excellent.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
that's because there are not enough manga for the anime yet. you can get about 25-30 eps from current manga. unless you want them to show 30 eps, then go back to filler.

Please do not make such hollow claims, this has been discussed time and time again. You are completely wrong with your 30 episode count, and do not answer his question.

I do not have any ratings, but until recently I heard that the ratings were still very high, nearly as high as they were before the fillers started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
atleast the way there doing the filler can be seen as what happens before the time jump in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
but one has to wonder why they continue the filler when there is already so much great material in part 2 of the manga.

I believe one reason is that the creators are trying to drag the series out as long as they can so that they can make more money when the series is done. Suppose someone goes to buy the box set of Naruto a few years from now (of course, it won't be all in one box set, but read on). In order to purchase the whole series, they have to pay for the fillers that go along with it. It's their way of making money. And they know they can keep on making fillers because of the HUGE fan-base that Naruto has. There are thousands of people out there who watch the Naruto fillers either because they're addicted to the series or they're just watching them because they have no other life.

Sorry if I didn't give a very cohesive statement.
doseRyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
well you have a point there. fillers are good and bad. fillers help drag on any show and are necessary to make sure a good anime doesn't die out so quickly.i mean look at Eureka Seven! only 50 episodes although it's the greatest anime i've ever seen now that i've seen it all i hate the creators for not draging it on long enough. so fillers are good as long as they don't stir off the course of the original plot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I heard somewhere that the Japanese are actually enjoying it. >_>

Don't know if they're actually enjoying it, but it was in the top 10 this past week: link.

I believe it's been pretty consistant in ratings.
valkyriex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Well, we all hate the Naruto filler over here, but how is it being received in Japan? Sorry to start another Naruto filler thread but I'm extremely curious is anyone knows how Naruto's ratings have been doing since the filler started. I've never been a big fan of the anime, I follow the manga exclusively, but one has to wonder why they continue the filler when there is already so much great material in part 2 of the manga. I heard somewhere that the Japanese are actually enjoying it. >_>

The ratings are down about a point. Before the fillers Naruto averaged in the high 6's/low 7's. Now it's in the 5's. I wouldn't say the Japanese are enjoying the fillers. It's more like they're indifferent to them. In Japan, they don't show reruns like in America where a show will air 20-25 new eps per year, and then the rest of the weeks are reruns. The Japanese will view fillers in the same way Americans view reruns. Those who watch them will just think nothing of them and that's that. They're not like American anime fans that bitch and moan about fillers and expect every episode to be canon material.
doseRyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
valkyriex wrote:
Dranxis wrote:

The ratings are down about a point. Before the fillers Naruto averaged in the high 6's/low 7's. Now it's in the 5's. I wouldn't say the Japanese are enjoying the fillers. It's more like they're indifferent to them. In Japan, they don't show reruns like in America where a show will air 20-25 new eps per year, and then the rest of the weeks are reruns. The Japanese will view fillers in the same way Americans view reruns. Those who watch them will just think nothing of them and that's that. They're not like American anime fans that bitch and moan about fillers and expect every episode to be canon material.

i don't think so. because japan is where almost all anime is created so why would they be showing reruns when like new anime comes out every other day? have you considered that maybe they're indifferent because they are watching something else or they just don't care?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
free2slap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
once someone is addicted to an anime, fillers or not don't apply. that person will always cherish it and the same goes for me with bleach because the fillers won't ever make me hate this show. however i should add that the naruto fillers are the most annoying i've ever seen ,so it's possible for people to change heart.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
doseRyo wrote:

i don't think so. because japan is where almost all anime is created so why would they be showing reruns when like new anime comes out every other day? have you considered that maybe they're indifferent because they are watching something else or they just don't care?

You're assuming all people do is sit around and watch Anime all day, not to mention that the words "live-action" mean nothing to the Japanese movie industry.

I remember when I was a child watching Power Ranger reruns. As long as the reruns had action, I did not care that they were rerun; I watched them earnestly and dedicatedly.

The only reason Americans are complaining is that they read the manga concurrently with the fillers and compare them. Personally, I do not see what the problem is; the fillers are clearly superior to the material that arsinine fool Kishimoto is copping out, but hey, this is the show that spawned the word "Narutard", isn't it?
Amuro_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
doseRyo wrote:

Well, as someone who's living in Japan right now, valkyriex basically explained it correctly. Plus Naruto airs on primetime when that's the only anime that's on, so it's not like there're anything else to watch for Japanese kids. And as the ratings show, most regular Naruto viewers are still watching Naruto during the filler period. Japan isn't like the US. We don't have like 200 channels on TV to choose from.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
valkyriex wrote:

Wow, that's a REALLY good way of putting it.

I'm sorry you feel and think (or a lack thereof) that way Malintex Terek. I was about to say: "I don't intend to dignify that with a response" but I guess it's too late now Rolling Eyes

I find it funny that most of the people who come in here and flame most of the really popular shows (usually in threads that don't warrent such flaming) don't have the balls (or ovaries... w/e) to make their anime lists public and let everyone see what you DO like. As much as I give epixeltwin a hard time, he doesn't seem to hide behind the anonymous mask of the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Wow, that's a REALLY good way of putting it.

I'm sorry you feel and think (or a lack thereof) that way Malintex Terek. I was about to say: "I don't intend to dignify that with a response" but I guess it's too late now Rolling Eyes

I find it funny that most of the people who come in here and flame most of the really popular shows (usually in threads that don't warrent such flaming) don't have the balls (or ovaries... w/e) to make their anime lists public and let everyone see what you DO like. As much as I give epixeltwin a hard time, he doesn't seem to hide behind the anonymous mask of the internet.

...HUAH?! Anyways, hopefully it's still doing good, because if not then I'm afraid Naruto will go the way of Kenshin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4