• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I rated this show overall as very good although I have some mixed feelings on the second half.

spoiler[But regardless, that was quite the ride. I didn't like the part involving the Ghost Banri though in this episode and Linda's confession of "YES" was a bit obvious. Oh well, at least we get a conclusion *Paris style?!* rather than some big cliffhanger unlike *cough* Hamatora.]

Anyways, yeah. Oh and I liked the fact that they played the OP song 1 again. I missed that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
2D-kun is my hero.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, 2D-kun is a really good friend. Hated all the ghost stuff. I'm not sure I even understood the spoiler[Linda says "Yes!" part. For a moment I thought they'd throw the whole show in for a loop and pair up Linda and Banri at the very end. Glad that it was just a "reassuring Banri's past self" thing (but did she actually see and hug the ghost? It was weird).] The final episode was a little underwhelming--too much exposition, too much drama, no comedy at all--but it did give us a satisfying conclusion. This show was good overall.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, 2D-kun is a really good friend. Hated all the ghost stuff. I'm not sure I even understood the spoiler[Linda says "Yes!" part. For a moment I thought they'd throw the whole show in for a loop and pair up Linda and Banri at the very end. Glad that it was just a "reassuring Banri's past self" thing (but did she actually see and hug the ghost? It was weird).] The final episode was a little underwhelming--too much exposition, too much drama, no comedy at all--but it did give us a satisfying conclusion. This show was good overall.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
I also didn't like the ghost stuff very much, but considering the show was essentially based on one of the worst tropes spoiler[amnesia] it turned out pretty well I thought. It was never going to be another Toradora, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was nice to see a college romance rather than yet another high school one
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I've already written my full thoughts here, but I'll sum it up for those who'd rather read a brief summary.

Overall, I rated it Decent. I took problem with some corny moments, inconsistent storytelling, and the horribly botched moral (explained in detail in my blog post, complete with a shittily drawn picture), but I felt the characters and general avoidance of romcom cliches (at least, the ones that Americans like myself would find stereotypical) made it worth at least one watch, and I didn't feel like it wasted my time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
and the horribly botched moral (explained in detail in my blog post

I don't get your issue with the "moral" of the story -- who said there even had to be one? What are we, six year olds?

Without killing off a character or something they could have wrapped the story one of two ways that I can see.

Door #1: The lovers don't get back together but somebody learned something from the experience they did have. Older and wiser they move on.

Door #2: The sappy happy ending where the lovers overcome the obstacles separating them and end up together, hopefully ever after.

Personally I liked what they did with it. Koko is one of the more refreshing romantic lead characters the anime industry has produced in a long while. She has the ability to project both her energy and her angst (just watch her face for most of the opening credits) and when spoiler[Banri was standing there calling her "Oka"] her very lack of reaction was heart stopping. The genius of the writing was the idea that 2D-Kun managed to invoke the very personality trait most of us hated in Koko when we first met her to wring out a worthwhile and plausible ending. Koko did her part by recognizing not only that but that she had to master herself.

In the end she spoiler[won because she was able to overcome her own nasty side and become the person she had to be. She isn't the Koko that was pursuing Mitsuo. It wasn't Banri's illness she had to defeat it was herself. And all her friends were there for her.]

How's that for a moral? I mean if you have to have one.

Now about the ghosts. If someone wants to call that a cheap device I'm not going to argue with it. Even so it is worth interpreting correctly. The Banri in the jacket with the fur-lined collar was obviously the part of him that wanted to go back and be the squirt that somehow managed to boink with Linda. The living part of him had moved on to some place also desirable, with a year of university under his belt and good new friends and something good going on with Ms. Eiffel Tower. Neither part of him wanted to die but quite typical for anime romance both parts were under the impression that only one of them could exist only if the other disappeared. The pressure built up. The two spoiler[resolved it eventually by realizing the obvious: the mishaps of the past were regrettable but not fatal. Banri is perfectly capable of living with his memory of his feelings for Linda just as Koko lives with the memories of her feelings for Mitsuo.]

In my view Banri's story is weaker than Koko's but so what. We all got entertained and this anime deserves high marks for that.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't get your issue with the "moral" of the story -- who said there even had to be one? What are we, six year olds?

Why yes, I did flat out insult your intelligence with my personal opinion that had nothing to do with treating the audience like little kids. Rolling Eyes

The fact of the matter is that morals appear all the time, not just in kids' shows. Family Guy has tried its hand at morals a number of time. Granted, Seth MacFarlane and company did them horribly, but that's really just one example off the top of my head. A better example would probably be the South Park movie, which had a moral about how censorship blow things out of proportion.

On top of that, it's the fact that the "time marches on, so you should to" moral was attempted, but undermined by the contrivance of spoiler[Banri regaining his post-accident memories and going back to his past] that annoyed me.

Also, nobody would've died either way. It's just amnesia that caused a different personality to arise. I've seen it a million times.

Last edited by MadMan400096 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Yay, spoiler[happy ending. Banri was able to remember both sides, and in a confusing foggy bridge scene, Banri was able to come to terms with both sides of himself, with the continued message that the past is the past]. Past Banri got spoiler[his closure about Linda's feelings, but present Banri needed to get to Koko, Linda also] started moving on. I don't think it was until I read HaruhiToy's post that I took a step back and looked at Koko, who has grown a lot, definitely a good character.

I am kind of in a rush at the moment, but this was a very likable series, and I rate it Excellent, a great romantic comedy that positives were more prominent than the negatives.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
I found that ending very satisfying. I was a bit torn about what rating to give this: Good or Very Good and I ultimately ticked over to the VG side. Mainly because this was a rom-com that actually had a relationship develop as opposed to a ton of awkwardness before finally getting together near the end. Oh and I had to give it extra points for being a romance that didn't take place in elementary, middle or high school.

Kinda bummed we never found out who was spoiler[driving the scooter that knocked Banri off the bridge. Was it Linda or was it the dude that Linda's brother's fiancee was boinking?] Guess we'll never know.
Trugentleman02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Good points: Yui Horie, Nana throwback, first half op/endings

Terrible points: weak, extremely whiny main character. Amnesia plot, non-needed ghost thing, entire second half, forced happy ending

My rating for this anime is weak. On a hypothetical side note, if I met a past me acting like that, I would be required to kick my own ass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22