• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I think I'm disliking something just because of a stylistic preference, I will usually say so. If you see me make comments like "this won't work for everyone" in a review, that is usually what I mean.

Does that mean you don't actually enjoy Kill la Kill's visuals? Because you said the same thing in that review.

I'd still like to know what makes KLK less worthy of criticism than Yozakura in terms of (what you view as) scenes with 'sub-standard' artwork. I think I've linked enough examples so far to prove that it happens just as often in Kill la Kill, and that most of the examples aren't really explainable as "it's just the show's style" as much as just "it's a TV anime, so not everything is extremely polished"; same as Yozakura.
Quote:
Not sure what you're looking at here. That's a foreground shot of main co-protagonist Hime. (Very obviously so, in fact.)

I meant that the shot wasn't super-important, not the character. I guess I should have made it clearer.
Quote:
"Blander" = not as sharp-looking, eye-catching, and/or vibrant. (Do I really need to define that to get the point across?)

I usually associate 'good color use' with 'atmospheric, thoughtful color use'. Technically, something that uses default MSpaint colors would be 'eye-catching' too; just for the wrong reasons.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
On the downside, the first episode plays up the whole Italian thing way too much and forces in Galileo references in a corny fashion.
So it's Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere?

I'm guessing you've watched neither show, since that comparison literally makes zero sense.
The comparison makes perfect sense. Horizon bumbled along with its "plot" of re-enacting history (if you could call it that), including a hilariously nonsensical span where the show forced its focus on their, ah, "rendition" of Galileo. While I've yet to watch this new show, I can only hope that it, should it fail in the plot dept., lives up to Horizon's standards as Horizon established what a show should be when it can't hack it in the plot department: well-animated, non-serious & downright hilarious.
Zac wrote:
What you're complaining about seems like 'I have to read everyone's page to find out what they thought' which... maybe I'm wrong but that alone doesn't seem like a great reason to go through the headache of a total re-do of how we publish the guide.
I would like to answer the question "What did the previewers think of Show X?". The current setup is catered toward answering "What did reviewer Y think about each show he selected to preview?". In order to answer my question, I have to: sift through the gargantuan list of shows under a previewer's name for "show x";if found, open that previewer's page & scroll until I find the entry for "show x";repeat for each viewer. This isn't a hard thing to do, obviously, but if there were an easier way for me to answer my question then I would naturally prefer it.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
The preview guide is great. Thank you for doing this every season. It is obviously a colossal chore.

I have no problem with the format the way it is.

I also am happy that there weren't any flame wars this time around. Lots of people were contributing and giving their personal scores for the shows. It was a lot of fun to read. (except for the last few pages where certain people/person stopped taking their meds just to harass Theron. *sigh*)
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The comparison makes perfect sense. Horizon bumbled along with its "plot" of re-enacting history (if you could call it that), including a hilariously nonsensical span where the show forced its focus on their, ah, "rendition" of Galileo.

I don't think you paid any attention to Horizon at all.
That or you simply have a bad case of the stupids.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The comparison makes perfect sense. Horizon bumbled along with its "plot" of re-enacting history (if you could call it that), including a hilariously nonsensical span where the show forced its focus on their, ah, "rendition" of Galileo. While I've yet to watch this new show, I can only hope that it, should it fail in the plot dept., lives up to Horizon's standards as Horizon established what a show should be when it can't hack it in the plot department: well-animated, non-serious & downright hilarious.

So you managed to watch Horizon without paying attention, at all, to what it was doing? Great job.

Also literally the only thing the show has in common is both mention Galileo, but in COMPLETELY different contexts. Trying to use that as a bases of comparision demonstrates a complete lack of any sort of understanding of either show.

You don't have to like Horizon, but you should at least demonstrate a basic comprehension of it if you want to use it to bash things.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
I really recommended Arpeggio of Blue Steel (Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio) for you guys that like sci-fi, military and battleships. I love this anime.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was a lot of fun to read. (except for the last few pages where certain people/person stopped taking their meds just to harass Theron. *sigh*)

Boo hoo, they were criticizing his reviews...oh God these insane people are just harassing poor Theron.Somebody call the police immediately!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
It was a lot of fun to read. (except for the last few pages where certain people/person stopped taking their meds just to harass Theron. *sigh*)

Boo hoo, they were criticizing his reviews...oh God these insane people are just harassing poor Theron.Somebody call the police immediately!

Walls of text are boring.
uguu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Criticizing someone's writing with proper arguments constitutes "harassment" now? That's Tumblr-caliber sensitivity, dude.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Criticizing someone's writing with proper arguments constitutes "harassment" now? That's Tumblr-caliber sensitivity, dude.

I don't see how any of your overly long arguments got Theron to change his score. It just seemed more like trolling.
uguu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
uguu wrote:

I don't see how any of your overly long arguments got Theron to change his score. It just seemed more like trolling.

Disagreeing trolling. Tell me more.

Over 90% of the time, the person you're arguing with online won't change their mind. What I'm doing is offering alternative opinions to those who are 'on the fence' about this subject.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

Over 90% of the time, the person you're arguing with online won't change their mind. What I'm doing is offering alternative opinions to those who are 'on the fence' about this subject.

Nope, just standard, boring "let me show you how you're objectively wrong about this subjective thing" grandstanding. Happens here all the time.
uguu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
uguu wrote:

Nope, just standard, boring "let me show you how you're objectively wrong about this subjective thing" grandstanding. Happens here all the time.

Is technical art/animation stuff really entirely subjective? There are plenty of technicalities involved in this particular medium. Your ultimate stylistic preference is completely subjective, but comments like "the artists can't draw and pretends it's a style" or "this is crudely drawn from a technical standpoint, unlike other works which I just dislike the style of" are bound to attract criticism.

Once again, there's a difference between saying "I prefer the style of Nanoha over the style of Akira" and saying "Nanoha is more technically well-drawn than Akira". I recall that you've specifically called someone out in the past for saying old Disney films are technically 'dated' from an art and animation standpoint.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So far Fall is shaping up to be a great season with a good variety of shows with either or both visual flair and/or slice of life aspects. My favorites thus far are Meganebu! (yes I know it's stupid but it's so much fun!) and Kyousogiga with several other standouts. With 18 (potentially 19) I'm following this fall I don't think I'll ever be bored.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Walls of text are boring.

I know right? They should just put little letter scores at the bottom of their posts so I dont have to read all that hard to understand writing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 41