• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, that was a lot of shows. Did Zac find the marble in the oatmeal? It sure feels like we're getting to drink from the fire hose.

I'd say that the series of the season is Adventure Time alumna Natasha Allegri's Bee & Puppycat... except it was released in July... and isn't a series (yet)... and isn't anime.

Right, sorry about that.

I just watched Galilei Donna and Kill La Kill, because they seemed like safe bets. I might watch more shows, but I'm being cautious this season after having saddled myself with some real chores and disappointments, such as Day Break Illusions, the last few seasons and only found the gems, like The Eccentric Family, after the fact from the recommendations of others. I was pretty keen on Coppellion, but the reaction to the second episode has been unenthusiastic enough to give me pause. It's also not on Crunchyroll, which works against it. I'll probably watch Meganebu because I'm interested in the director, even though it it doesn't tickle any of my fancies and it looks really, really, really [couple more of those] dumb.

A few series have been disqualified by being unavailable. I want to give Pupa a chance because something that messed up might be the perfect venue for imōto antics, but it's still MIA. Kyōsōgiga looks coolly wild and that's another director of interest, but for whatever dumb reason, nobody has it for streaming. I also had a passing fancy for the similarly unavailable Yozakura Quartet, which is just as well, it probably wouldn't be my thing.

Galilei Donna doesn't look like Yasuomi Umetsu, but it does feel like Yasuomi Umetsu. I assume that in episode three Cicinho will reveal that he really does have an interest in women and the whole thing will become a 2/3rds underage orgy that has no bearing on the next episode. For now, it's showing a lot of promise to be exciting with enough detail and care to the personal lives of the characters to be interesting too. Plus, it had a flying goldfish with a Vulcan cannon and missile launcher. I really dug Hozuki in this episode and she really owned the action in it. She has some 'cute' traits, but without being helpless or clumsy; she's quite pleasingly the opposite. She seems nerdy, shy and introverted rather than the butch type that her adorable affection for her wrenches might normally suggest. I'm hopeful that Hazuki will get some crowning monologues of awesome along the way and that Kazuki will turn out to have a personality.

After watching two episode of Kill La Kill, I felt like I needed a nap. It didn't ever settle down or pause, it just kept firing wild stunt after wild stunt at me. It was like an action show equivalent of Family Guy... let's hope that doesn't turn out to be prophetic. I love the look of this show. It looks very distinctive and energetic and seems to embrace the limitations of its budget. I've seen things with far costlier animation that are nowhere near as enticing and engaging to the eye. The exaggerated flair of the designs helps a great deal. I really love the look of Ryūko's face and uniform, it's scantiness notwithstanding. The voice that Ami Koshimizu (Hi Paraietta!) gives her is cool too; a happily far cry from the squeaky girls of yore. Perhaps the biggest, best surprise was that Mako Mankanshoku, although really dumb, isn't the cloying, 'adorably helpless' character that I secretly worried that she might be. She's damned stupid not exactly adroit, but not in a way that creeps me out. I did find the scene where the uniform uses force to make Ryūko wear it uncomfortable, but this series, by its nature, didn't linger over it long or lasciviously enough for it to sink in too much or for me to feel like it was supposed to sink in. Her embarrassment over the outfits skimpiness was a little tricky to take too, but it didn't feel like the kind of fetishization of humiliation that really wigs me out. The frantic, quick-cutting style might make it too easy to forgive certain things. That Ryūko is a total badass mitigates what uneases me as well.

I feel optimistic about the immediate future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Galleli Donna, Coppelion, and Non Non Biyori to finish so I can watch them all in a weekend or two :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 41 of 41