• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyousogiga (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I wonder if starting from episode zero was a good idea after all.That zero episode is a big flash forward and the rest of episodes are departure from chaotic and seemingly illogical narrative.Some people think that TV series is what Matsumoto wanted to do in the first place and I do agree with them,however yeah its not like anyone made a mistake watching that zeroth episode,it still great thing.
When it comes to the themes of the show I would say that it mostly reminds of Dennou Coil actually.Both of them seem to reject the idea that wallowing in escapism will somehow produce happiness,but they both acknowledge that escapism in small doses can make us happier.The entire of cast of Kyousogiga suffer from actually being trapped in this escapist fantasy,despite their initial happiness.

I am wondering what sort of role will the shrine play in all of this.They sort of set them up as villains,but we dont even know what its purpose is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
When I first watched the show, and when I introduced it to a friend over the weekend, I watched ep 1 first, ep 0 second. Watching in that order (and then rewatching them) helped me get what was going on.

Thanks for the responses to my questions. After rewatching eps 0-1, I still think spoiler[there are reincarnation shenanigans going on, and its more than a little possible that Mom & Dad were genderbent in Second Life. I just can't shake the feeling that Adult Koto was reacting to her *husband* when she briefly met Child Koto in ep 0.]
Koto's "brothers" are definitely sensei's guardian fox spirit thingies.

This show does have some strange similarities with The Eccentric Family, but I would point to its focus on sibling relationships, family in general, and fulfilling your duty vs. Doing what you want (this is especially true of Myoue Jr.) more than setting.

So, we know that the Elder Brother and Second Daughter (Yase) were both wholly created via Dad's magical artistic abilities, but Myoue Jr was natural-born, right? And Myoue Jr was born first even though he was later designated as youngest? Just clarifying.

I'm so, so glad Crunchyroll finally picked this up!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
@ Agent355 - I believe your assumptions about the children are correct. You may be right in your assumption that Young Koto is the spoiler[reincarnation of Myoue Sr - after all, she's a tomboy plus Adult Koto left first and Myoue Sr followed her, and Young Koto is looking for her "mom",] so that all makes sense.

I guess maybe I'm being overly influenced by the fact they spoiler[share the same name, but I still lean towards Young Koto being a reincarnation of her mother.]

Time will tell.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
After reading the responses of this thread and some from the Fall Preview, I marathoned episodes 0-2 last night.

Wow.

I love the kinetic frenzy and energy this show has. Similarly, I feel some similarities to Mononoke in the editing. The fable-like playfulness extends to some wordplay...which I looked up on the TvTropes page.

I'm curious as to the Shrine's function is. Do they go around to other planes as some sort of metaphysical Interpol? What exactly do they know about Koto and Myoue?[/spoiler]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Where is my Kyousogiga for Dummies handbook? I've watched 0-4 and can't make heads or tails of this.

Which is not to say that I'm not enjoying it, just feeling a little frustrated. I like the zany spirit of it all, and the characters (though I'm having trouble keeping the generations straight), and the artwork, and I expect to stick around to see if this comes together somehow, but I feel like I would probably love this to pieces if I understood anything at all that was happening. At least it sounds like other people are also perplexed by at least some of it.

Any guesses as to what the purple and aqua diamonds randomly swirling through the backgrounds signify? I also think the title cards are probably more meaningful than just titles, but they're gone too quickly, so I haven't absorbed whatever clues they provide. I guess I could pause or replay them, but I tend to be in a sort of overwhelmed stupor when I watch this, so I don't.

Btw, isn't A-Un the name of Sesshoumaru's two headed beast?

tl:dr what Surrender Artist said, but more so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
Well, Agent355, in the eternal battle between your interpretation of whom young Koto is spoiler[the reincarnation of - Original Myoue or Adult Koto - it would appear that latest eppie supports MY guess that she is the reincarnation of Adult Koto.]

After all this time you'd think I'd get tired of ALWAYS being right, but no.

Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Yeah, probably.

Ep 4 was the easiest ep to understand so far. It was extremely straightfoward. I'm not sure if I'm just used to the style, or if the show is just easier to understand now.

spoiler[I wish my city had a garbage disposal system like that! Just let everything you don't want float away!

Poor Yase. She was closest to her mother, and she just can't let anything go or throw anything away. Did she find her bunny doll at the end, or did she just accept the cup? The umbrella gag was a lot of fun.

Next Week: Myoue Jr.! He complains about the kids, but we know he loves them! Should be sweet and heart touching.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think that Koto has inherited parts of her personality from spoiler[both original Myoue and original Koto and so their children(Yase,Kurama and new Myoue) see the parent that they had bigger attachment to.]
Latest episode was the best one in the series,it had some really beautiful symbolic imagery,but it wasn't particularly hermetic.Best show of this season certainly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm just used to the style, or if the show is just easier to understand now.

No, no it's not. I don't understand one single thing about this. I don't even understand enough to ask a question, other than what the hell are those blue and magenta floaties? They seem to be multiplying.

I may have to drop this, since I'm no longer looking forward to it, but rather dreading seeing how much more confused they can make me each week. Tatami Galaxy was perfectly transparent and unambiguously obvious compared to this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
^
It isn't that complex. While there are still a ton of unanswered questions, we still have five episodes to go (not including next week's special real-life episode), and I have confidence that we will get answers to most of our questions. I have thus far been very impressed with Kyousogiga, as it has built a very interesting and imaginative world while still keeping the characters front and centre. The pacing has also been very carefully done, dropping clues at a steady rate whilst never resorting to info-dumping. The show is probably the best in the current season.

Keep up the faith, make it to the end and I'm sure you will be rewarded.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
I have no idea how anyone can find TV Kyousogiga so confusing...Everything that is going on is pretty understandable,barring episode 0 of course.Also I think those floaties are made to look like mobiles that are commonly used to put baby to sleep,after all the entire world of Kyousogiga is just like imaginative and secured dream.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the live action episode next week. I have no idea if this was something that was planned from day one or if this is just a really imaginative way to ease up the animation production schedule, but it should be pretty cool.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42, check out Kyousogiga's wikipedia page. It's updated and explains the show's plot points and characters very clearly.

I think the floaty things represent DNA, as a sort of building block of creation symbolism.

Ep 5: spoiler[Yakushamaru/Myoue Jr.'s story floored me. I certainly didn't expect something so dark. Upon seeing his family burn in a fire, he committed seppoku, and Myoue Sr. found him bleeding to death in the snow and took him in. Did he save his life, or somehow bring him back to life with his special drawing powers? I'm not sure; but I do think that when Myoue later gave Yakushimaru his prayer beads and title, he also gave him his DNA (notice the floaty strands that got absorbed into Yakushimaru's body along with the liquified beads), which is why adult Yakushimaru/Myoue Jr. looks like a clone. What a tough responsibility and expectation for a kid! And now Myoue Jr. asked young Koto to help him die once they finally find his parents. Who knew that he was still so depressed? Sad This was the most affecting of the three children's profiles, and I really didn't expect it to be.

Young Koto's use of the phrase that Myoue Sr. had used and Myoue Jr.'s recognition of it supports my theory that Koto is a reincarnation of Myoue. Wink ]

I'm not looking forward to 5.5, because I want more plot! (I'm sure it'll be very cute and informational).

I think all the "special episodes" were planned beforehand. Pretty sure I read about them in a wiki.

Edit: Why are so few people talking about this show?! It's because Crunchyroll started streaming it late, isn't it? Start watching it, people! It's as good (better!) than Kill La Kill!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
dtm42, check out Kyousogiga's wikipedia page. It's updated and explains the show's plot points and characters very clearly.

LOL, I think you meant to address that to Gina Szanboti.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I have no idea how anyone can find TV Kyousogiga so confusing...Everything that is going on is pretty understandable,

Thanks for your help! This makes everything clear now. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4