• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyousogiga (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Kyousou Giga (TV)

Genres: fantasy, science fiction
Plot Summary: Hidden within Kyoto is the "mirror capital" where youkai and humans live together and no one ever dies. It is protected by three people - Kurama, Yase, and Myoue - as they await the return of their parents, Myoue Jonin and Koto. One day a young girl named Koto (same name, different spelling) and her little brothers A and Un wander into the city from a different dimension looking for her mother. A mecha-geek with red eyes, it's not immediately clear whether she's human or youkai. Her arrival upsets the long peace that had ruled the city.

I saw the recap/episode 0 today and thought this was something that I thought I'd give a try again especially since it's a full anime series.

Ofc, I am a fan of science fiction so this interested me with its setting, themes, and characters. Speaking of characters, Koto sure is something and reminds me a little of Hajime from Gatchaman Crowds. Overall, an explosive revisit of this series today and I think I liked what I saw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The only thing different between Episode 00 and the original ONA is the different background music which actually feels a lot more majestic than before. And to think this is what some of the staff who worked on Heartcatch Precure can come up with, and now that's in HD it looks quite gorgeous! At least next week, we can finally get some new material of this crazy world and maybe make some sense out of the entire thing! Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
I've seen the original ONA and then the five episodes of Kyousogiga Dainidan plus the first two eppies of the TV series and things are finally starting to make sense! Thank God. Oh and reading the Kyousogiga Wiki page helped a bit too.

Anyway, I'm loving this. Great visuals, great humour, interesting characters and some genuine underlying emotion. Very nice. This title has already vaulted up on my "Hope the Hell it Gets R1 Licensed" list.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote

Ok, this is weird.
On the other hand it does kinda make sense too.
spoiler[The priest created a world where he wouldn't be judged.
I bet a lot of people wished they had the same power.
But it looks like even make belief worlds have their problems..]

This looks ok, but I'm just not feeling it so I'm gonna drop it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh and reading the Kyousogiga Wiki page helped a bit too.

Which one? They're all pretty sparse, and most of the text seems copied from Wikipedia anyway.

Anyway, I've rewatched Dainidan between episodes 0 and 1. It's interesting seeing how the story develops differently. Yakishimaru and Koto's relationship in particular shows intriguing possibilities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
I meant Wikipedia page. And yes, that page is pretty sparse but I found the identification of the characters to be useful.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow the first new episode was great! I really wish someone had picked up this show. Oh well. It was interesting learning the origins of this fascinating world.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The music near the end with the thunder and lightning storm was perfect. ;D This show is definitely something I'm going to look forward to the rest of this winter. The VA is very well done already but the music and animation is just so much icing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
This is such a fun show that really shines out in a season that is much, much weaker than last season, IMHO.

I love the Disney-esque fairy tale of a magical world beyond a mirror spoiler[apparently there is more than one world and the Fox/Young Koto's Papa would world skip]

I'm confused about a few details, and I'm wondering how many other viewers are also, or if anyone figured them out:
spoiler[1. When the siblings summoned Mother Koto, why did she kiss Young Koto? Does anyone else think Young Koto might be a reincarnation of the siblings' father?

2. Is it just me, or does Papa-Fox-Sensei look an awful lot like a skinnier version of the siblings' father?

3. If Young Koto was found by Papa-Fox-Sensei, where did her two younger bothers come from?

4. Where did Young Koto come from? Is this the defining mystery of the series?]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm confused about a few details, and I'm wondering how many other viewers are also, or if anyone figured them out:
spoiler[1. When the siblings summoned Mother Koto, why did she kiss Young Koto? Does anyone else think Young Koto might be a reincarnation of the siblings' father?

2. Is it just me, or does Papa-Fox-Sensei look an awful lot like a skinnier version of the siblings' father?

3. If Young Koto was found by Papa-Fox-Sensei, where did her two younger bothers come from?

4. Where did Young Koto come from? Is this the defining mystery of the series?]

1. My unproven assumption is that spoiler[Young Koto is a reincarnation of Momma Koto.]

2. Yes. Yes, he does. My assumption is that they are the same person or he is a reincarnation of the original.

3. Dunno. I don't think that has been explained yet.

4. See my number 1. I believe the defining mystery of the series is how spoiler[the original family will all end up in the same plane, again.]
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
My guess in regards to the brothers are that they are just guiding spirits from Fox-sensei and not actually Young Koto's "brothers".

Seriously though, this is probably one of the best shows I've seen in a long time - how come no one has licensed or talked about this show yet? It not being on Crunchyroll is also kind of perturbing. Really hope the best for this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd love to see this licensed but I'm a little dubious of that happening. It's a bit of an odd duck and would probably be hard to market. I'd say either Sentai or NISA would be the two most likely candidates for an eventual pick-up, but I'm not really holding my breath.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Seriously though, this is probably one of the best shows I've seen in a long time - how come no one has licensed or talked about this show yet? It not being on Crunchyroll is also kind of perturbing. Really hope the best for this show.

Have no fear!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/25/crunchyroll-adds-kyousougiga-tv-series-to-fall-anime-lineup

Hopefully we'll get more peeps watching this now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That's great news! That also might help with respect to this getting a home video release.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure what's going on here or what to say. My high hopes for this series have been met, but I'll be damned if I can really explain how.

The first episode (or is it zeroeth?) was very disorienting. It did not pause to explain itself, which I am glad of because it thus averts any risk of 'anime exposition', but it felt as though there was a plan and reason to it all. As such, I trusted that it would be explained in due course time or the means would be available for canny viewers to discern it all for themselves.

I'm not a canny viewer, but I'll be content to take the ride no matter what.

I have to confess that having a tomboy with a giant frickin' rainbow hammer who kick more ass than somebody who hates donkeys is right up my alley.

I really like the feel of this series. The feel of this series reminds me a little of The Eccentric Family, and not just because it's also set (sort of) in Kyōto. Even as gonzo as it might be at times with visual exaggeration and an awesome tomboy with a giant frickin' hammer, the storytelling, dialogue and themes seem to skirt near a literary style. It's also steeped in what I suspect is a pretty distinctly Japanese mythos and spiritual sensibility. Many of the characters also have a strike me as having enigmatic quality to them, which gives the creative team plenty to play with and makes it all the more intriguing.

(Quick, somebody write smutty Benten x Koto* yuri slashfiction!)

The animation and artwork are really impressive. They're doing fine work in making the City Through the Looking Glass looks distinctive and there are neat visual flourishes here and there. I like the 'cartoony' exaggeration and looseness that they use a great deal. It makes the series expressive and contributes to its appealing atypicality.

This is a cool, almost challenging show. I'm so happy that Crunchyroll got it.

*achem* If I may get some things out of the way.

When I realized that this was on Crunchyroll, instead of going on a walk I went, "Stop. It's hammer time," and watched it.

That giant robot better have a designated driver to take it home, because it got hammered.

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in an alternate-universe Kyōto, I'd hammer in the shrine and all over this land.

*breathes*

Okay, I think that I've gotten all of that out of my system. Should be clear sailing from here on out.

*The adult one, you pervert.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4