• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
True, she knows Chisaki likes Hikari but I think spoiler[the hug] also startled her.
I don't think Tsumugu likes Chisaki romantically. I think he's just the type to give advice to anyone who looks like they need some. I'm leaning towards thinking he might like Manaka since he called her "beautiful".

Nah I doubt Tsumugu likes Manaka either. I think this diagram sums it up perfectly.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Tsumugu x fish. that is hilarious
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
T

Quote:
there is no difference in the way they live whatsoever.

The same can be said about other races of people in the REAL world but that doesn't stop prejudice, does it?
Prejudice can be caused by friggin' skin color or did you forget? Rolling Eyes

You're not reading my complaint correctly. I'm not saying that the people shouldn't be prejudiced because they live similar lives. The opposite really. That they present them as living similar lives is probably meant to show that their prejudice is silly and that they should get along- because prejudice is bad! They're all alike! My complaint is that it is utterly stupid and patently illogical for people who spend almost all of their lives to live in the exact same way as people who live on their surface (newspapers, beds, TV, kitchen appliances-, FOOD, all basically exactly the same). And while there would be prejudice between two such people.... I guess... their separation is not one merely of not liking each other but because they are fundamentally, physiologically, not alike! This is a separation that cannot be overcome when the groups are made to understanding each other. The same with the reasoning behind the underwater people not wanting their people to live on the surface. It's not just prejudice, it really is literally destroying them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
Manaka that was harsh to me he was just trying to comfort her, not push his feelings or trying to force her feelings. I suppose at that age that kind of contact is a big deal - still I felt so much for Hikari Sad . I now hope his feelings for her subside.

I don't think Tsumugu actually likes any of the girls in that way. I think because he seem a little more mature than the others he doesn't realise the magnitude of what he says I.e. when he called Manaka beautiful that wasn't a confession of attraction it was to make he feel more confident in herself, much like with Chi in this episode. If he is to like anyone it would be Manaka.... But I don't see it coming to fruition.

I do hope this love mess calms down a little as not everyone needs to have feelings for someone else and right now I'm more interested in the villages plans and this approaching doom to the surface. The relationship part of this show can pick up once we understand more about the village.

Another episode I really enjoyed. I'm wondering what the village is planning. I first thought, when the villagers were waiting for the youngsters to come home, that they were under some kind of hypnosis or being controlled some how but my thoughts changed once Hikari's dad appeared... But I do wonder why Hikari was being forced to see Uroko-sama; was this because he had left the village or is there something deeper and possibly more sinister to it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
I think a - perhaps the - main theme of the series so far seems to be change and how people react to it in different ways. It's been the main focus when it comes to the relationships amongs the kids, between kids and adults or between sea and land people. Some will refuse to accept change while others will embrace it, but it's gonna happen anyway. That's why i don't think the sea and land people are fundamentally different. If they wanted to show that, they would have made the sea people to be unable to live on land and turned it into a tragedy. But the point so far seems to be more along the lines of if you accept change, you might lose something but also gain something else, but if you don't you will only lose.

Of course, i'm completely disregarding Uroko-sama and the Sea God here who might have their own agenda/reasons to refuse change, but i guess we'll find out more about that soon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
If he is to like anyone it would be Manaka.... But I don't see it coming to fruition.

Seriously, you don't think ManakaxTsumugu is going to be canon? o_O
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I think a - perhaps the - main theme of the series so far seems to be change and how people react to it in different ways. It's been the main focus when it comes to the relationships amongs the kids, between kids and adults or between sea and land people. Some will refuse to accept change while others will embrace it, but it's gonna happen anyway. That's why i don't think the sea and land people are fundamentally different. If they wanted to show that, they would have made the sea people to be unable to live on land and turned it into a tragedy. But the point so far seems to be more along the lines of if you accept change, you might lose something but also gain something else, but if you don't you will only lose.

Of course, i'm completely disregarding Uroko-sama and the Sea God here who might have their own agenda/reasons to refuse change, but i guess we'll find out more about that soon.

It's too disproportionate. What do the sea people get from letting their people leave to live on land? The children of those pairings are born without Ena, they can't live underwater. They are being wiped out by depopulation.
And I'm not the only one who sees that it's clear that spoiler[Tsumugu is a child, grand-child, or descendent of a sea person and you see the result- a person who would probably like to go below, but is unable to. And we got the clue that his parents are out of the picture because of the situation.]

But I do want to once again clarify that, although I find the themes to be a little weak, it's not my main complaint.

1. The under water town/ environment is ludicrous. It puts about much thought into what such a place would be like as Spongebob Squarepants puts into Bikini Bottom.

2. The decision to send the kids to a surface school is completely counter-intuitive to the scenario we are given.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It's too disproportionate. What do the sea people get from letting their people leave to live on land? The children of those pairings are born without Ena, they can't live underwater. They are being wiped out by depopulation.

Well, that might be what's bound to happen eventually. But what's the alternative? Forcing their kids to live in isolation for all eternity? I think it's pretty clear that this is not going to work...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
If he is to like anyone it would be Manaka.... But I don't see it coming to fruition.

Seriously, you don't think ManakaxTsumugu is going to be canon? o_O

I hope I'm wrong as one of these many love triangles needs to work out but Tsumugu seems like he has other priorities. Also he comes across as A-Sexual.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Also he comes across as A-Sexual.

Well I did say earlier that he reminded me of Haru.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Well, I call BS on the depopulation thing...unless every. single. young. woman is leaving to go make babies with a surface dude and I very much doubt that's the case. Does anyone remember them talking about a low birth rate?

Quote:
1. The under water town/ environment is ludicrous.

I think it's cool. :<

Quote:
2. The decision to send the kids to a surface school is completely counter-intuitive to the scenario we are given.

That's a much sounder argument. Lol, I have nothing.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
1. The under water town/ environment is ludicrous.

I think it's cool. :<.

And no less believable than most SiFi films... Or most other anime for that matter.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Really?
I'd like to give a sci-fi author the credit of considering such things as relationships between...
stew / water...
paper / water....
electricity / water...
sound / water...
buoyancy, it exists...
water... it moves... it moves things in the water... (well, they do mention currents, but have yet to show any effect of them)
maybe, just maybe, walking underwater is supremely stupid
Oak trees, shrubbery.... grow in salt water...right?

and that's just the first three minutes or so

Okay... so maybe I'm being unfair... surely there must be an explanation for physics being basically interchangeable in their village. It's all because of the Sea God I guess...

Nah... I'm still leaning towards the explanation of PA Works wanting to draw pretty pictures.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the way they seamlessly move underwater like it's on land bugs the hell out of me too. I mean, they show how they can jump really high, but they can also sprint with no resistance whatsoever. Hell, why do they even walk/run underwater instead of swimming? Then there's the newspaper and food and telephone and...

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it bugs me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
........physics? You're complaining about physics in anime now?
Have either of you two seen Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann?

That one, this one, and countless others say "FAWK YOUR PHYSICS." Laughing

Quote:
maybe, just maybe, walking underwater is supremely stupid

Don't know if you've ever tried it but....guess what?
Walking underwater is supremely possible. Yes, you have to do it slowly.....if you are a creature born on land. But the sea people are not and have you ever watched a crab scuttle across an ocean floor? They can go extremely fast just like how they go on land. So if crabs can do it, I don't see why the people with Ena on this show wouldn't be able to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 39