• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trugentleman02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this anime. It drew out emotions well. Opening and ending themes were great. Manaka, Tsumugu, Chisaki , and Kaname had excellent depth of their personalities.

Of course, my major annoyance from the series was with the main characters , Hikari and Miuna. Very much not a fan of the bipolar character, Hikari. Way too headstrong in his overly emotional, oblivious, stubborn outbursts. I disliked Miuna for catering to his whims so much and revolving everything around him. Yeah, I realize I am not being fair to her because of "love" thing, but I see it as nurturing a psychopath for domestic abuse down the line and I can't'cosign to that. I disliked Akira for just adding the annoying brat child that doesn't add anything relevant and taking valuable time from other characters. So, I am not a fan of their family excluding Akari. She is great.

Tsumugu was the anchor point that got me hooked. I enjoyed his interactions with others especially with Manaka, Kaname, and Chisaki. Uroko is entertaining as a character.

Overall, I rate this anime as Good despite Miuna and Hikari dragging it down. I was desperately waiting for their scenes to end to get to see the others. Emotional ride, original setting, strong characters, good sound design, it could have easily been a masterpiece if it weren't for those two glaring flaws.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Trugentleman02 wrote:
Yeah, I realize I am not being fair to her because of "love" thing, but I see it as nurturing a psychopath for domestic abuse down the line and I can't'cosign to that.

..........I'm sorry, what? o___O

How is Hikari anything like a domestic abusive psychopath? I understand you not liking his personality for being too emotional and headstrong...but Hikari is not a bad person. He was very good to all of the girls, sans the first two and a half episodes.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Trugentleman02 wrote:
Of course, my major annoyance from the series was with the main characters , Hikari and Miuna. Very much not a fan of the bipolar character, Hikari. Way too headstrong in his overly emotional, oblivious, stubborn outbursts. I disliked Miuna for catering to his whims so much and revolving everything around him. Yeah, I realize I am not being fair to her because of "love" thing, but I see it as nurturing a psychopath for domestic abuse down the line and I can't'cosign to that.

You're acting like Hikari didn't change at all over the course of the series.

Miuna catered to Hakari's whims? At one point she wasn't even sure she wanted Manaka to wake up.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Because Phia and Chiibi got to the other points before me I will pick up on this:

Trugentleman02 wrote:
I disliked Akira for just adding the annoying brat child that doesn't add anything relevant and taking valuable time from other characters.

I'm not going to try an persuade you to like Akira but I don't he was as much of a pointless character as you make him sound. To me he was more of a story progresser in the second half of the series than quite a few of the "main" characters. He was there after the time skip to show us how Hikari's world had changed and how he dealt with it. Akira was used to show us that spoiler[Manaka really didn't know what love was]. He also was the reason that spoiler[Miuna discovered Manaka's true feelings after he stole the pendant and dropped it into the port. ] Also I feel his character was used well to bring a sense of everyday life to series with him running around in the background or having a strop whilst the others are in conversation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched this with my best friend and she adored Akira.
"He's the cutest little sh*t ever. I JUST LOVE HIM!" she said. :'D
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
I initially watched the first episode, but the drama with marine girl Manaka going suicidal out of shame was ridiculously artificial:

spoiler[Imagine you are person who gets easily embarrassed, and in one of such cases you wanted to immediately run away from the situation, but instead of running away on the ground you would all of sudden decide to drown in a lake or sea -- the marine girl trying to run somewhere on the ground instead of jumping to the sea is exact equivalent of this example from this anime. She was depicted suicidal, which makes no sense, only to get her meet with land-youth again.]

It is an example of weak writing, so I could not continue watch the show. However, after the show has ended, I checked average rating and it is on "Excellent" level, so now I am trying to get pass through the first episode again.

spoiler[I also thought that knee-fish was one of the creepiest things ever depicted, and reaction of land-youth to it as "pretty" was not believable. Besides, whole "cursing" thing made no sense: why would supposedly good "god's helper" guy curse the marine girl because she fought back against his sexual harassment?]

And, of course, main marine teenage boy character is annoying as hell cliché of ever baselessly bitter type, just horrible person whom viewers are supposed (by authors) to like anyway because deep inside he is good. No, I HATE the type; being good "deep inside" is not excuse, I don't care how good you are if you act as [expletive].

Finally, hat the show is overbearing with heavy romance relations among youths nearly right from the first second. Such setting does not look natural and causes "Come on, authors, take is easy!" reaction.

Conclusion: overall, the beginning of the show has issues with believability of the settings and scenario vehicles, where seams are screamingly obvious, visible stretches are apparent where authors could not come up with more natural flow of events to develop, and cardboard characters. Pretty bad, I am having hard time believing that the show now has such a high average rating. Though visuals are definitely of "Excellent" level: it is unclear how animation could possibly be any better than this for such project (except for maybe details like chin of characters has to always move when they talk).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
And, of course, main marine teenage boy character is annoying as hell cliché of ever baselessly bitter type, just horrible person whom viewers are supposed (by authors) to like anyway because deep inside he is good. No, I HATE the type; being good "deep inside" is not excuse, I don't care how good you are if you act as [expletive].

The name is Hikari.

If you just watched the first episode or two it is understandable that you would not like him. Many fans of the anime have had a similar reaction. Personally I thought he was over-the-line abusive to Manaka in the guise of "taking care of her." However he improves in significant ways as the season goes on. His personality maturation is probably one of the stronger parts of the whole story and it works because he is pretty much the emotional driver for nearly everything.

The way you are writing your complaint it seems like you are insisting that "good" characters are "good" from the start and don't change. Is that what you meant to convey?

As far as Manaka running away on dry land to "drown" in mortification yes that was a bit of face-palm writing. Yet she is supposed to be a bit of an airhead and I suppose it is consistent in that sense. I'm afraid that isn't the only example of weak writing in the anime, but as a whole the good parts far outweigh the not-so-good parts.

The fish-in-the-knee thing -- you have to admit that is a bit unique. I think you have to accept that people deeply and spiritually tied to the sea wouldn't react to it the way you and I would. And seriously -- you wouldn't think a sexual harassment perp (an immortal one no less) wouldn't take "revenge" on his victim for pushing back? Happens all the time m'boy.

Watch some more episodes and post back.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I initially watched the first episode, but the drama with marine girl Manaka going suicidal out of shame was ridiculously artificial:

spoiler[Imagine you are person who gets easily embarrassed, and in one of such cases you wanted to immediately run away from the situation, but instead of running away on the ground you would all of sudden decide to drown in a lake or sea -- the marine girl trying to run somewhere on the ground instead of jumping to the sea is exact equivalent of this example from this anime. She was depicted suicidal, which makes no sense, only to get her meet with land-youth again.]

I agree that that bit was ridiculously overdramatic, but calling Manaka suicidal is a stretch.

Quote:
spoiler[I also thought that knee-fish was one of the creepiest things ever depicted, and reaction of land-youth to it as "pretty" was not believable. Besides, whole "cursing" thing made no sense: why would supposedly good "god's helper" guy curse the marine girl because she fought back against his sexual harassment?]

How was Tsumgu's reaction not believable? He loves everything about the sea. It fits his character.

Uroko is a scale from the Sea God and much like the sea is unpredictable.

As for the rest of your post about Hikari, HaruhiToy covered it.

You haven't even watched the entire show which means you haven't seen the characters develop.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The base have been cover by phia_one and HaruhiToy but I want to stress that Hikari's character does improve - you probably haven't read back through the previous pages and I don't blame you for avoiding spoilers but at one point we were talking about how he could have won the most improved character tournament which was held last year. If you can stick it out for a little bit longer and you might change your mind. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
After five episodes I see what this anime is: melodrama/soap opera. (Another highly rated anime of this type is, for example, "Clannad"; though, of course, different as "Clannad" seems to be less bold, more subtle that this.)

And yes, THANKFULLY, Hikari has improved.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
After five episodes I see what this anime is: melodrama/soap opera.

A lot of Mari Okada's scripts are like that. It's gotten to the point where I'm hesitant to try a series she's attached to because every one I've seen I end up not liking.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I like aquamarine and orange colours, they make beautiful colour palette for any anime that uses it.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
After five episodes I see what this anime is: melodrama/soap opera.

A lot of Mari Okada's scripts are like that. It's gotten to the point where I'm hesitant to try a series she's attached to because every one I've seen I end up not liking.

I am currently at 12th episode now, and the events are so dramatic, theatrical, so sappy/cheesy, that it is hard to watch.

spoiler[Everything is so formulaic: group of school children, all of them are all of sudden in love, and everyone loves person who loves different another, so no one loves back, and, of course, few are without mothers, and, of course, there children who need accept new "mothers", and on and on and on -- all the usual fake overboard drama stuff. You can not possibly submerge into the world authors try to create when it is so artificial -- and I do not mean the fantasy settings aspect of the project.]

I would be glad if ANN encyclopaedia could include some REAL indication of the genre, because standard set of genres/themes does not tell you how much people who are into overboard melodrama will like it or how unbearable it is going to be for others.

This title has to be marked "melodrama/soap opera" so that every potential viewer would see that this is what this whole thing is going to be about.

I hate to drop series after watching some significant part of it, so I will try to watch it to the end. If I could easily drop watching series then I would not need better encyclopaedia descriptions so badly.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This title has to be marked "melodrama/soap opera" so that every potential viewer would see that this is what this whole thing is going to be about.

Dream on. What turns an anime into a "soap opera" is entirely subjective for each viewer. I thought Fushigi Yuugi was a cheesy soap opera but this show is not....and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion.

Quote:
You can not possibly submerge into the world authors try to create when it is so artificial

And children with unrequited crushes and struggling to accept new family members is "artificial" how?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
And children with unrequited crushes and struggling to accept new family members is "artificial" how?

I have to agree with this. While the execution of the characters and how they deal with these situations is very typical of anime--something I find good and bad in equal measure--these are the kind of emotional problems that plague many a young mind. I may not find this kind of drama enticing anymore, but I would hardly call it "artificial".

If anything is artificial about it, it is the fantasy elements. They present themselves in such a way as to offer an excuse for the series to employ extra visual "pop" (emphasis on the marine imagery), but if you stripped it away, it wouldn't function as anything but a teen drama, and not the truly affecting kind, like the works of Key. The fantasy elements of those works were subtle, yet were far more closely tied to the personal relationships of their characters, and how they would pan out. Which brings us to the overarching dilemma: the very thing that the show relies on to be different is underdeveloped and subordinate to the aforementioned romantic themes, and by the end, you realise that the whole sea/surface dichotomy was entirely arbitrary. Overall, it's a show trying to be something it's not, even if it's not trying very hard.

Last edited by Gatherum on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 39