• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote

Nagi no Asukara

Plot Summary: Long ago, humanity lived in the sea. But the humans who longed for the land left the sea behind. They cast aside the special raiment they'd been given by the sea god that let them live in the ocean. The thinking of the sea humans and the land humans became as separate as the places they lived, and as countless time passed, they forgot they were once one people. This will change as the land-dwelling human Tsumugu Kihara befriends four girls who live in a village at the bottom of the sea.

Episode 1
Decent episode so far. I liked both the OP and ED songs. As expected from PA Works, the setting along with the visuals were glorious. I liked the setting more I think though with the aquatic atmosphere/fishes etc. Yup and this is how they met: spoiler[http://i.imgur.com/c0mWeyA.png]

I'm not sure if I'll like Manaka though given her prone to crying. She is cute though in a way I guess. The ending of this episode was also beautiful. I'm pretty excited to see what's next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
First second
Shota butt close-up fanservice. Yup, dropped harder than even Free!
Why is this always "alright" whenever doing the same with a loli is an act against god is beyond me.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is what I was talking about! Imagination. I find it has an almost Kamichu feel. They made excellent use of their time and didn't have characters awkwardly telling each other stuff they should know. They didn't tell us the conflicts, they showed us through character interactions.

This one has me... Hook, line and sinker.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The underwater scenery looks magnificent. And I'm always up for some P.A. Works original love triangle/polygon stuff.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Wow I went into this anime blind and I was completely surprised when I saw the fish floating around. The visuals were amazing, it felt like I was watching an anime version of Bioshock. This love polygon will probably be similar to Ano Natsu de Matteru since both contained 5 characters. Good thing this will be 26 episodes, so the love polygon can take its nice time to develop.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote
Love polygon with kids. Among kids. Very engaging.
Add the shota fetishization to the mix and it makes me sick, no matter how good the visuals may look.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am happy I came in knowing nothing, the visuals were gorgeous. Visually being done by PA Work it is reminiscent of From the New World, but with a totally different setting that fits in parts familiar and others strange. The explanations in the episode were not forced at all. The romance thing may be interesting, but the genders seem reversed from what I would have normally guessed.

The human guy totally reminds me of Haruka. I am interested in the how the human and seaman thing will play out, took me longer than it should have to decide pale skin and blue eyes meant fish person. Also the spoiler[fish knee] totally made me laugh. I hope this does not get dark, it was something that turned me off a little in From the New World. Main guy go for the girl that likes him.

@ Heinzendegger
I did not really see any "shota fetishization" really in the episode. Did you watch it all?
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Not any shota fetishization?
5 seconds were enough to know that there is.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't planning on watching this after having read the synopsis, but this surprised me a little bit. I thought the story was laid out pretty well with all the potential conflicts right in the first episode. However, I'm not crazy about the overly cute character designs nor Manaka's victim status. If her character can grow over the series though then this could turn into a pretty decent story. I'm definitely willing to give this show a shot.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It looks really pretty and the setting is quite fascinating and unique, but i don't really care that much about middle school kids and their love quadruples/quintuples. Also yeah, the helpless girl act was pretty annoying. It almost made me wish they were still doing that spoiler[sacrifice-a-girl ritual...Rolling Eyes] which was mentioned.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Who says they aren't still doing the ritual? The guy-who-looks-like-a-girl seemed pretty ominous when he talked to Chisaki about what would happen "if Manaka was out of the picture".
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I found this to be a decent show with lots of potential. The world is quite interesting that it feels like they should focus more on exploring it as opposed to the standard romance but at least the characters are fun enough.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Regular school story with an added twist.
I like the sea world setting ^^
The animation is really nice.
It's a bit too childish for me though.
Think I'm gonna skip this one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I hate the male lead. I never thought I could be nostalgic for a boring, whitebread male lead, but this guy almost puts me there.

Anyway, I don't loathe him enough to stop watching. Yet.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, Manaka and Hikari can be very annoying but I'm sure they'll get better as the series progresses. I probably would have found Manaka the most annoying if it wasn't for the fact that spoiler[she hit Uroko in the face with the bowl of stew, which tells me that she has the potential to not be a complete doormat.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 39