• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Well it's like when someone has survivors guilt - that's essentially what's she feeling. Guilt worlds in crazy ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
phia_one wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

On the other hand, I'm not too crazy about the direction that they've taken Chisaki. I don't know I may have to watch some of this again, because it felt like she had grown up some and in the last 2-3 episodes it feels like she's been regressing instead. It just felt that she had been taking on the responsibilities and thinking of an adult and then its like she wasn't looking at things from the perspective of an adult anymore, but instead a kid again. Again maybe I gotta rewatch that, because it wasn't making a lot of sense to me.

It makes sense when you remember her conversation with Kaname at the beginning of the newest episode. spoiler[She has massive guilt because he got to continue living while her friends were asleep.] She's very resistant to change to the point where it terrifies her. She never really became an adult because she stopped herself from becoming one.

See I don't understand where that spoiler[guilt] is coming from. I could understand her feeling like she's lost part of her childhood with some of the most precious people to her. A sense of loss or a feeling of disconnect because of the changes in age makes sense to me. But the kids didn't suffer when they were asleep. And as long as the village wakes up sooner rather than a long time from now it will be like they were on a short vacation from their families (except for Chi). So I'm not understanding her moments of mooning over Hikari combined with feeling like she might get in the way of Manaka. It seemed to me for a bit there that she just didn't want to deal with her emotions concerning Tsumugu and was coming up with excuses. But now its like she's acting like a kid again.

I don't know I probably need to go back and watch some of this over again.

Chisaki should've fallen asleep too, but she chose to stay on the surface. She could've dived in after her friends, but she didn't.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
See I don't understand where that spoiler[guilt] is coming from. I could understand ...

Of all the characters Chisaki is the one I have the hardest time relating to. At the same time it isn't hard to see that she is in a unique position as being the only one of her peer group that did not hibernate. Before Hikari resurfaced nobody had any idea that any of the hibernators would return in their surface-dwellers lifetime, if not forever. So from Chisaki's point of view it is as if she somehow was allowed to live while everybody else died. A feeling of guilt in that case is pretty understandable.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Chisaki should've fallen asleep too, but she chose to stay on the surface. She could've dived in after her friends, but she didn't.
I don't think so, she was on the boat after helping to pull an unconscious Tsumugu to the surface, Kaname fell back into the water and after that no one could approach the village because of the barrier. There wasn't any choice involved in that.

HaruhiToy wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
See I don't understand where that spoiler[guilt] is coming from. I could understand ...

Of all the characters Chisaki is the one I have the hardest time relating to. At the same time it isn't hard to see that she is in a unique position as being the only one of her peer group that did not hibernate. Before Hikari resurfaced nobody had any idea that any of the hibernators would return in their surface-dwellers lifetime, if not forever. So from Chisaki's point of view it is as if she somehow was allowed to live while everybody else died. A feeling of guilt in that case is pretty understandable.

Sorry if I'm being a little thick about this, but as far as hibernating is concerned if people are just going to sleep and wake up at a later time. I don't see where the guilt comes in, especially since its the whole village that went to sleep together. When they wake up they will all be together again. Now if she was feeling survivors guilt because she thought that Hikari and the others might have died during the storm or not knowing if they were alive or not...well that I can understand. Up to a point. I mean everyone is alive and she knows it now, so how does she continue to have survivors guilt? And how does that work in with the romantic relationships? In the episode where she remembers when Hikari came to find her and Manaka when they were little and she says that she still likes him--how does that have to do with survivors guilt? When she's talking with Kaname this last episode I think if I recall correctly she's acting like Manaka is the one that likes Tsumugu. I don't see where guilt factors in with that. It all just seems that she's just running away from where she is now at her age and place. Running away keeps her from admitting that she has changed, the thing she feared the most, and it keeps her from fully accepting her current life and moving on.

Anyways I gotta find some time to rewatch the last 2-3 episodes. I might just be missing it or something else is getting in my way of seeing the whole guilt angle clearly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Do we remember how much the characters were afraid the surface was going to change? Her feelings are a mix not wanting to change for them, that she is actually changing, and feeling guilty that she is the only one that is not having the entire surface suddenly change.

It is like how someone goes on a long trip and you want to keep everything at "home" the way it was for them, but worse in that the characters are not changing themselves.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
OMG a teenage pregnancy in an anime?!!!! I know they are married but they are only 18/19 years old.

Anyway this was another excellent episode. I loved Kaname's reply to Sayu.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
I view Chisaki's feelings as similar to a parent who has lost a child, often they will keep the child's room exactly the same as the day they went missing. Chisaki believes that changing her feelings would be a betrayal to their memories of youth and to her friends themselves. They have been in stasis so in her mind the feelings must remain in stasis as well to preserve the friendships and regain a sense of normalcy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
where did Chiibi go? cant imagine she's happy with some current developments
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Moral of the story: spoiler[don't fall in love with Hikari or the sea god will get you...

Also, it apparently sucks being a shoulder scale...and the main reason people seem to fall in love in this series is that their object of desire reminds them of the sea.

This whole making Miuna the sacrifice business might look like a neat way of solving the love triangle (especially for people who don't like Miuna...), but how are Hikari or Manaka ever supposed to be happy this way? Or Miuna's family and the rest of the kids?! Not to mention that it would be pretty lame...]

Well, i'm gonna reserve judgement for the final episode.

For now i'm just gonna say that spoiler[Kaname] was a real bro again.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For now i'm just gonna say that spoiler[Kaname] was a real bro again.

Well said. That was my favorite moment.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Poor Miuna. She's my favorite character as of the second half after the time skip but spoiler[it looks she might not make it for the finale. Love just hurts in this series....]. For some reason though, it didn't surprise me that much.

On a comedic note, did Uroko arrive there in a spoiler[car]? LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought it would be the last ep this week, but I'm glad we have one more. spoiler[Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Why did they do this Ofunehiki thing again? To endanger another young girl? Well, they succeeded. I assume we'll see Miuna again next week, but not before another time skip. ]

The melodrama on this show is tiring. There was no comic relief this ep, it was all about how much love hurts. I'll only forgive 'em if we get a happy ending!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Tsumugu woman tamer.

Sayu looked pretty in that costume. All said and done Kaname seems to have made out pretty well.

Interesting how there are railroad tracks that lead into the sea. Never saw that before but it makes you wonder why it was abandoned like that bridge.

Something tells me we haven't seen the final state of affairs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

Well that was somewhat expected, spoiler[Miuna ending up as a replacement] and all. There were some good moments like Kaname spoiler[spreading Chisaki's feelings so her and Tsumugu can become official]. And it was nice to see Kanamespoiler[ back Sayu up when I thought everyone was going to just go to save Manaka]. And then that part with Akira.

spoiler[Miuna] has been my favourite character so I am wondering what will happen next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 39