• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Outbreak Company (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Loved how Maid-chan pre-emptively started stuffing tissue up MC's nose as he was salivating over Soldier-chan's bigguns...clearly some knowledge of anime has already spread to the other world.

no, she got the tissue after she saw his nose start bleeding
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Naturally, I had to go back and check to see if you were right. All I can say is that was one very subtle nose bleed. It's easy to see how I missed it the first time.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Interesting show so far. What an irony that a show that puts down otaku is actually a show aimed toward otaku. Somewhat curious on how the show will go from here. I hope the show is more than the mc lecturing the kingdom about moe.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Interesting show so far. What an irony that a show that puts down otaku is actually a show aimed toward otaku. Somewhat curious on how the show will go from here. I hope the show is more than the mc lecturing the kingdom about moe.

I don't think this show is really one that puts down Otaku. It pokes fun at Otaku a bit, and is very self aware about all the cliches found in of a lot of Otaku orientated series, but it's not done in a mean spirited way. Note how Shinichi got into this whole situation in the first place because he was looking for a job. Not that he showed a lot of wisdom in his search, considering he didn't seem suspicious about the job offer, but he was at least making an effort. So we know he wasn't content to just be a hikkikomori forever.

In addition, he had some genuinely nice and touching scenes with Myuseru. Overall, while he definitely doesn't come off as perfect, he doesn't come off as a creep either. Even his enthusiasm for various fetishes and moe tropes comes off strangely innocent.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
Biggest surprise in this show so far?

A direct reference to Final Fantasy XI. Not a parody like in Welcome to the NHK, but a direct call-out.

Also I like the show, here's to the next 11 episodes! Maid-lady is cute and I hope Dragonguard gets a good fight scene or two.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime/manga background reference overload laughed at all the faux titles, AoT was roughly called Attack on Iron Giant and a TON of parody figures in the shelves, and as always the clash in the cultures is the real heart of this series.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn a loli sat on his lap. I am so jelly.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Yet this scene is infinitely worse compared to the original.
I don't even know why they bother animating anything with loli if they then tone down all her erotic appeal in the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
There were so many references in episode 2 lol. The spoiler[Attack on Titan] reference was my favorite though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
Time for Episode 2 and our favorite new game, Reference Hunter! How many can you spot!?

First, there's this, from which I can see parody titles of Oh, My Goddess, Hunter x Hunter, Fate/Stay Night, Strike Witches, Attack on Titan, Minami-ke, Little Busters and a while lot more that I can't place off the top of my head.

I spotted a figure of Yuki Nagao with who I THINK is Haruhi next to her.

Then there's all the rest, which I don't know is made up or still references to things.

As for the episode proper, it was pretty good. There's an unexpected little philosophy running underneath the shtick, which I didn't expect but I welcome. It's an interesting idea, too. What if you DID introduce our modern entertainment culture to a caste-and-trade based civilization?

Very interesting.

I enjoy this show and very much look forward to next week.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Kanou should really watch what he's saying.
He is passionate about otaku stuff, but he's not thinking rationally when his beliefs are in question.
Guess he finally realized he was living in a totally different world..
So far things have been pretty peaceful, but looks like that'll change soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Don't expect me to say all the references I spotted as there were a lot. I love that I was able to tell what most of them were just from their altered versions based on the poses and general characteristics, especially proud of being able to tell spoiler[Nyaruko-san], and then I noticed that there were the names added in so it would be easy. Screw it, I will mention as much as I can off my head to show what I noticed: a spoiler[Yotsuba-to and Nyaruko-san cutouts, posters of Railgun, Mao-san, Strike Witches, Code Geass, and I think Joshiraku. Figures of Haruhi, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Hatsune Miku, K-ON, and Haganai. The big list of anime, the ones I recognised before realizing there were names given were: Ika-masume, Nyaruko-san, Fate, Little Busters (took me a little while to remember that name), Rozen Maiden, Magi, Ah My Goddess, Negima, Minami-ke, AoT, Girls und Panzer, and Joshiraku]. It says way too much about me that I can recognise all of those so easily. And recognising the glitched failing of playing super Mario, how I know that sight.

As for the fantasy setting, or an ironic term within this show of back to reality, I like where it went. Taking the path to show that their culture is not too great for the whole spoiler[literature thing when most of the population is illiterate, and the mention of using picture might actually be why the reacted well to manga. Straight out showing that children have their innocents kind of wrecked in being put into the army in that both Bluk and Myusel]. I am liking Bluk, and I am quite fond especially of the scenes like how Shinichi faced that spoiler[they thought it was ok for him to beat them, and then also apparently Myusel can be powerful at magic]. That it is not that she is spoiler[weak that she acts so timid, Bluk actually hurt Shinichi's hands from his scales and he just hands him a club]. And it works in with the deal with the supreme ruler, she needs to see Familiar of Zero, I swear I saw a reference to that somewhere. Although how she reacted afterwards despite her own pride and upbringing does say something about her, I don't even remember Lousie acting so quick to forgive.

I thought it was a simple case of military girl having a crush on Garius based on the OP, but the episode also showed spoiler[that she is a likely fujoshi, probably why she got the post]. Also that he recognised it as the spoiler[harem situation it was, but also the danger so much that he was frustrated in not] being able to enjoy it, and also lament on Myusel's spoiler[reaction to the manga of a slave girl].

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:

Then there's all the rest, which I don't know is made up or still references to things.

The top left poster in the 2nd image is from Hataraku Maou Sama and the body pillows on the middle left in the 3rd image might be Madoka.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
that's definitely Railgun next to Part-timer and I'm going to guess Idolmaster right below railgun
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
Yes there was an Attack on Titan reference Rolling Eyes

And with Ep 2 we can check off [overbearing bishounen]

Does anyone else agree that Brooke is really moe and cute?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12