• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Log Horizon (TV)
Season 2 - Log Horizon (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table(TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: evolving world, guilds, isekai, MMORPG, quests, rebuilding society, strategic battles, strategic minds, virtual reality

Plot Summary: Elder Tales is an online fantasy RPG that has become popular worldwide. But when its twelfth expansion package, "Cultivate the Noosphere," is installed, thirty thousand players in Japan are trapped inside. Among them is grad student Shiroe, who isn't very good at interacting with others. But to survive in a world full of monsters, he forms a guild called "Log Horizon" with an eclectic group of other players.
----------------------------------

Yay, it's a 2-cour series~

But any rate, I am actually impressed so far especially with the fighting in the beginning there. The OP song is okay I guess. I did get some SAO vibes from this series so far. I'm not too used to the characters yet but I think Akatsuki is adorable. Even one of the characters think so too!

But yeah, looking forward for more. Decent battle and action scenes. Well this caught my attention for sure.

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
"May I knee this strange man in the face, my lord?" Laughing

Well, this looks fun. However, I'd love it if one of these "oh noes, we're stuck in a video game" shows would actually revolve around characters who DO want to join a guild. I think it'd be an interesting situation to examine guild politics and whatnot.

In any case, I'm definitely checking more of this out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Today has been great as I have actually found another show I really like. First comments, I really like both the Opening and Closing songs, and both for different reasons, one sounds cool and the other has a beautiful voice.

Akatsuki is cute, but I am more a fan of her roleplaying side, not that I don't like the way she looks. I am somewhat happy that the designs and the show at large is pretty low key. It seems pretty obvious that we will be getting people comparing this to SAO, but the tone was rather different.

My instincts are saying good things, this was a good episode that drip fed us information so that we could just piece together what the situation was. I hope following episodes are also good. I look forward to the romance.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Too many people are going to compare this series to SAO when they probably shouldn't.

If for simplicity sake we call SAO a Drama, then LH is presenting itself as a Comedy, and in LH case it is a decent first episode to start off the (based on what occurred so far) light hearted journey.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
People began comparing it to SAO the moment it was announced and they saw the basic description blurbs that were all the information that was available at the time. It was pretty much my reflexive first thought as well.

It's kind of a pity though, as once you look at better descriptions, and start delving into some summaries of the series, it's almost as different from SAO as SAO is from .hack, and really deserves to be judged on it's on merit rather than by comparisons.

Ultimately the only thing the three really have in common is that they're all entries in the "trapped in a videogame world" genre. Ultimately all three of them go different directions with what they do with that basic theme.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
well, they cant explain the incident as badly as SAO did. I think...
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I was ready to skip this because it's premise was very similar to SAO, and I HATED SAO, but then I read on this thread that it was more like a comedy and decided to check it out. Glad I did. Nice OP song, it was filled with action. I also like the gang of three (I'm a sucker for ninja girls!). Definitely going to keep watching. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I like it already since it doesn't take itself seriously like SAO did. I love the lightheartedness of the characters. I just have to hope they don't introduce some nonsensical, unrealistic "game mechanics" during the course of the show as part of a story arc and just have fun with the game world. Will be following this one for a while!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, this seems decent enough to give a shot. The first episode didn't really hook me though. On the other hand it did have some amusing moments.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
It is sad that many professional reviews compare Log Horizon to SAO when it is a very different type of show. SAO was a dark show that took itself very seriously. Log Horizon is more fun, has a sense of humor, and is the least sexist show in the virtual reality genre. So far it looks like Log Horizon will be a fun adventure.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
least sexist show in the virtual reality genre.

.hack//SIGN perhaps?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Yay, it's a 2-core series~

I hate to sound like a total ignoramus, but what do you mean by core? Is that like television seasons? I've seen this term a couple times the past few weeks, but never before in my years of anime website viewing (or at least I never noticed it until now).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I hate to sound like a total ignoramus, but what do you mean by core? Is that like television seasons? I've seen this term a couple times the past few weeks, but never before in my years of anime website viewing (or at least I never noticed it until now).

means it continues on for another batch of releases (25 episodes to be premiered), examples include Attack on Titan and Season 2 of Railgun.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
@David.Seth A "cour" (the most common spelling I've seen) is roughly a dozen episodes (can also be 13, sometimes other numbers).
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

The term is actually cour. It refers to an 11-13 block of anime. The term is usually only used for series that are going to be 1 year or less. It's basically a way to refer to how many calendar seasons a series will last while avoiding confusion with tv seasons. e.g. A 13 episode series getting a sequel series will often have it called season 2. The same is true of a 26 episode series getting a sequel. So if you said a new series was going to be a two season series it could cause confusion. If you say it was going to be a 2-cour series instead, the meaning is clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 47