• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to ask a question that I've always wondered... how does a rice ball taste good? Or bad? Or... anything?

I've had good rice balls. They often have a little flavor to the rice, or something wedged inside, and the way they are prepared can effect the consistency.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Holy Crap, I'm paying attention to the opening, and there are so many spoilers...

1) First shot of the opening shows Shiroe, Kei Shirogane (Shiroe's player), and spoiler[Roe2].

2) Mysterious purple-haired chick with glasses (multiple places)

3) A shot both of spoiler[Nureha] on spoiler[her] own, as well as spoiler[her] with spoiler[the purple-haired chick] and spoiler[a group of LH guild members].

Plus, there's tons of stuff like Sou fighting, Akatsuki dying, the raid bosses, etc.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Great episode this week. spoiler[A lot of action, movements, skills shown (even a new skill for Akatsuki!), and teamwork. I had a lot of fun watching the episode and thank God they managed to take that menace down.]

The spoiler[pajamas party aftermath is cute too. :3]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Did this episode deliver or what? It was, as Dessa said, utterly amazing. Very Happy

After a few episodes of build-up to this raid, it certainly didn't disappoint. Akatsuki's spoiler[new teaching looked awesome and was really helpful in clouding her attack pattern. The mechanics of 'Kiting', whilst swapping in other smaller teams to distract and damage was interesting and very well-done.] It did feel just like a raid.

So Akatsuki has a spoiler[new Katana in 'Haganemushi Tatara'] from Tatara, so maybe she is finally ready to raid 'proper'. The pyjama party was really cute too, with an unexpected call from Shiroe. Smile

So next week we're returning to spoiler[Shiroe on Christmas Eve and to see his point of view with their death]. It should definitely be interesting.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
This season started a bit slow, even slower than the first. But the payoffs, as in this episode, are so worth it!

A ton of neat concepts and ideas really set this show apart for me, as if what if a game became reality?

It is my most anticipated watch of the week.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
So I watched the first four episodes of the English dub (AniMaine dub debut screening) and it has quite a few questionable changes. First off they always call Shiroe 'Shiro' and completely ignore the e. Every other word out of Naotsuga's mouth is either bro or dude, he's a total muscle head now. Worst is Nyanta who has gone from proper gentleman to total pimp. He always calls Serara baby (and Shiroe once, too), usually says yo instead of you, and tells Demiques to "check yo self".

It's a shame because the rest of what I heard sounded pretty good, but these two talk too much and totally sap the fun out of it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

Best of the season maybe? Akatsuki's new skill spoiler[was cool with all the clones]. But I really don't like the decision to spoiler[turn off the circle, so far they have been able to rely on it as a way to keep order, but now they would need a guard to protect from invaders or even each other]. That is pretty much a spoiler[police force that will have to also be paid and kept organised].

Emerje wrote:
So I watched the first four episodes of the English dub (AniMaine dub debut screening) and it has quite a few questionable changes. First off they always call Shiroe 'Shiro' and completely ignore the e. Every other word out of Naotsuga's mouth is either bro or dude, he's a total muscle head now. Worst is Nyanta who has gone from proper gentleman to total pimp. He always calls Serara baby (and Shiroe once, too), usually says yo instead of you, and tells Demiques to "check yo self".

It's a shame because the rest of what I heard sounded pretty good, but these two talk too much and totally sap the fun out of it.

Emerje

That sounds terrible. Naotsugu is meant to kind of be a dopey yet chivalrous pervert, who really was a normal guy. And Nyanta is a gentleman with a thing for acting cat like.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the fallen Guard dude was somehow manipulated to turn murderous, thus necessitating them turning off the magic circle that protects the town? Even if the Guard hadn't found the sword, he still would've had teleport and empowered armor.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Just listened to part of the dub. At first I thought, "No, this can't be the real thing, this must be a fandub." Then I finally heard some familiar voices and just facepalmed. Even when the acting was decent, the script sabotaged them. It's really terrible.

I think the ADR director (who has directed Full Metal Panic! and Kino's Journey) heard "trapped in an MMORPG" and thought "Ok, gamers are the target audience, let's go with a military fps sensibility here, heavy on the bro-speak..."
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the episode now, but reading the comments is making me glance warily at my BD set.

Although, I will point out, many of the characters do call Shiroe "Shiro".
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I was very satisfied with this episode. We have been building for Akatsuki's development for a very long time, and so it was a great choice to have so much of the episode dedicated to maximizing on her personal growth. Also, like last week, this week again put all of the girls front and center, and had them all perform masterfully. It is really wonderful to see a show treating its female characters with such dignity. The tactical aspects of the "raid fight" were executed almost flawlessly too, from the "kiting" technique, to the fact that people were warned not to "aggro" him and thus draw him off Akatsuki, as well as how the lead tactician talks about how he might actually deviate from normal behavior of a raid boss (since it's not a game anymore) so they have to be extra careful. There was a lot of thought that went into orchestrating that episode-long battle. Certainly, all of us can wish that this show had the animation budget of one of the more high-profile shows, but Log Horizon still delivers solid content episode after episode. I'd give the end of this arc an A-.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
It was a fun episode, but I really don't get why they spoiler[shut down the magic circle when they did. They had him on the ropes, they could have finished him off regardless. Even if he did manage to teleport away, they managed to nearly break his sword, which wouldn't heal, and they could probably track him down. Losing the protection of the circle is not going to end well, presumably they will get invaded by the other adventurer faction and have no NPC back-up.
]

Also, I know this is an MMO nitpick of mine, but between this and SAO, and given how varied their spell catalogues seem to be, you would think that at least one class would have a good "tracer lock" spell that would allow them to follow him even if he does teleport away.

Quote:

So it's like one of those parody fan-dubs then? Someone showed me the Free one and it was pretty amusing.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm watching the dub right now, and while I am finding it lacking, it is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Shiroe
Shiroe's voice goes back and forth. At some points, it's utterly perfect. At others, it seems a bit too deep. At others, it's not too deep, but it's gravelly, instead of a smoother voice that fits him better. It seems to be evening out as the episode is going on, so I'm hoping he improves as it goes.

Naotsugu
Naogsugu's voice is well acted, but the voice is a bit too deep for him. Furthermore, I'm not liking some of the dialogue changes with him. At times, they make him more crass than he is in the sub, at others, they tone it down.

Akatsuki
I'm loving Akatsuki's voice. It fits her perfectly. It's not too young, but still has a pretty youthful sound. She's not high pitched, she's not too low. And her voice acting fits perfectly. She does a great job of getting that formality to her manner of speaking, without making it sound awkward.

Marielle and Henrietta
Both of them were utterly perfect.

I'll pause here, because I want to address a couple of points.

Point 1: Names and addresses
In the subs, many people do refer to Shiroe as "Shiro-[honorific]". However, as was said earlier, everyone is calling him that. I can see where people can be upset by that, but I can also see where it doesn't bother others all that much. I think they're treating it as a silent "e", that many English names use when they have an "e" at the end.
Marielle, however, everyone is using her full name of, instead of the shortened Marie/Mary. ^^;
Also, as a random note... In episode 2, when Shiroe tells Akatsuki she doesn't have to call him "lord", she tells him he can stop calling her "miss"... except he hadn't called her that at all!

Point 2: Dialogue Changes
I touched this a bit with Naotsugu, but there's a lot of dialogue changes. Some of it is the same general dialogue, but with a different "flavor". "Sir pervypants" instead of "this strange pervert." Naotsugu's "dude" addiction that was mentioned in an earlier post. The insults also seem much more juvenile.

Then there's the utter "this makes no sense" dialogue changes, where the new dialogue, while fitting in fine, is completely different from the original. Or, even worse, they'll add in lines that are out of place, such as Naotsugu asking what a PKer is. Another of my favorites was changing "they read too much manga" to "they watch too much anime".

A rather damning dialogue error, was when Shiroe and Naotsugu first find Akatsuki, Shiroe describes Akatsuki as someone he'd been in "raiding parties" with. Except that it's actually a plot point that Akatsuki has never been in a raid, so that creates a direct contradiction.

Since I haven't run into Serara or Nyanta yet in episode 2, I'll go straight into a 3rd point that's come up:

Point 3: Narration vs Dialogue
I can't pinpoint exactly how they're doing it in the sub, but there's a different quality to Shiroe's voice when he's doing narration of game element explanations, rather than speaking to someone else. The dub doesn't have that, and it's a bit confusing on if he's speaking to another player or to the audience.

Nyanta and Serara didn't speak in episode 2, but other than the dialogue changes, you can tell that the voice actors are at least growing into their roles. The negative comments on the voices don't exactly get nullified, but there's a little less awkwardness to the performances.

Hey, we have more voices!

Serara
Serara is adorable, and fits her. Honestly, I'd expect it to be slightly even more highpitch.

Nyanta
The voice itself isn't too bad. However, the acting, the direction, and the dialogue is horrible. He does sound like a stereotypical black guy, and the use of the word "baby" and such make him sound like a pervert. I think the person who called him a "pimp" in the dub was pretty spot-on.

Other Characters
Heard a bit of Crusty and Misa, as well as some other people from the Crescent Moon Alliance and other guilds, and their voices don't sound too bad. Seems like theirs won't be too bad. Kanami's voice is pretty good, too. Sou's is a bit off, but I'll need to hear more of it than one flashback scene.

Overall
Other than Nyanta's voice, and some jarring (or outright plot hole-inducing) dialogue changes, it's at least a serviceable dub. It's not outstanding, but it's in no way "bad", since there's far worse dubs out there. Hopefully, there'll be improvements in the second set, as well as the second season.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about the dub (there was only so much I could write while poking that post above into my tablet at the convention). The dub has some high points and showed signs of improving. Making small dialogue changes to match mouth flaps or make some obscure Japanese comments a bit more palatable doesn't bother me. However, what they did to Nyanta is a 4Kids level rewrite of the character and I just can't accept that, it's too drastic. I'll never understand why they decided to make him sound like a character from the Boondocks.

This is what my ideal Nyanta would sound like in English. It's a food related video clip, too. Wink I like the way he drags out the last syllable of his sentences, already sounds like he's making Japanese cat noises. Would have been a great voice to model off of I think.

Emerje
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I stuck out this otherwise boring season. That episode was wonderful.

Good for Akatsuki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 47