• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Tops Box Office

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I think that comparing this to Spirited Away is prob going to be an unfair comparison being that this is Goro Miyazaki's first movie and Spirited Away is the one of the best loved elder Miyazak's works.

It's completely unfair to compare Goro to his father, hence Miyazak (elder) has so much experience where as Goro is just begining his life in animation. Great point Hikaru, when we come back in ten years or so I still think that the body of work of Goro won't equal that of his father......

Or he could surpass his father because anything is possible. He can choose to stay saddled by the father-son rivalry and expectations that he become a Miyazaki clone or blaze his own trail. The path of his career is up to him.

Besides, he's not the only one with the problem of a famous last name. I'm sure that the Fondas and Coppolas had their share too and survived.

I agree with hikaru. Although I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki's works, I'm hoping that Goro decides to follow his own path. As much as I'd love to see another generation of great Miyazaki-esque (Snr.) films, I'd much rather see Goro make his own accomplishments and style rather than being a Miyazaki version 2. I'm glad that the Gendo Senki did well despite poor reviews. Maybe the Japanese cinema-going public realised that they should watch the film as a "Goro Miyazaki film" and hence from a different perspective than Hayao Miyazaki's films.
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

This really puts those "reviews" right back in those idiots faces. Another shiroboshi for Ghibli.

The Star Wars prequels had huge box office returns too. Ocean's Twelve made money. Hell, Yu-Gi-Oh the movie did well on its first weekend. Ticket sales, especially ticket sales on the first weekend, say nothing about quality.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I don't know what movie you were watching.

Rotten Tomatoes and the disillusioned world agrees with me in saying that, "pirates II was too long and was merely a rehash, no, parody of the first movie with uninspiring special effects".

Undead fish-man? Cheesy octopi invasion? Please, Superman soared far over that sunked ship.

hikaru004 wrote:

Or he could surpass his father because anything is possible. He can choose to stay saddled by the father-son rivalry and expectations that he become a Miyazaki clone or blaze his own trail. The path of his career is up to him.

Besides, he's not the only one with the problem of a famous last name. I'm sure that the Fondas and Coppolas had their share too and survived.

Hayao's beef with Goro is that his son arrogantly wants to take the helm and step out of his father's shadow as an animator (which I find ironic, as he's working at Ghibli and the best place to start would be away from that studio).

Also, his last name isn't as famous or distinctive as one might suspect; it's ranked as "68th" out of 500 popular names in Tokyo (source). It's pretty obvious that Goro is using his father's name as a stepping stone, and the elder Miyazaki feels he's a bit too brash to "leave the nest" just yet.

The high performance of Gendo Senki is riding not on Miyazaki's name but of the reputation of Studio Ghibli. Any effect Goro had on the Japanese public may be reflected in the next Ghibli production, not necessarily this one.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek, that just drags up the old arguements which fueled bad publicity for this movie. If the studio selected Goro Miyazaki, then that's that. If he is being groomed as heir apparent, then that's that. No use griping over stuff that won't change.

If Goro Miyazaki had went and formed another company. I bet people would have said something bad about that too. That guy was screwed the moment he stepped into animation imo.

Also, Studio Ghibli is a brand name, in addition to being an anime studio. It's printed right on the Region 1 version of every Ghibli release that I have except Princess Mononoke. So having some increased attendance because of that is expected.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Rotten Tomatoes and the disillusioned world agrees with me in saying that, "pirates II was too long and was merely a rehash, no, parody of the first movie with uninspiring special effects".

Undead fish-man? Cheesy octopi invasion? Please, Superman soared far over that sunked ship.

And by saying Superman soared over that sunked ship you mean flopped at the box office and couldn't hold a candle to the box office of Pirates 2 than yes, you would be correct. Oh and Pirates got a 79% by users at RT as compared to Supes 81%, and Pirates 2 is rated higher on BoxOfficeMojo. So really it’s just you and the critics... lucky you! Oh, and Supes pretty much sucked, at least Pirates 2 was enjoyable to watch. Now we can continue to argue our opinions on movies that have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, great.

On another note, I can't wait to see Gendo Senki when it comes out over here, hopefully maybe I can catch it in a movie theater, hint hint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Pirates II was enjoyable, but I wouldn't call it a great film by any stretch. It was way too long, and the only part of the movie that was really fun was the cannibal island part. The extreme cheesiness of it all was what made it so entertaining. I think the movie would have been better if it was an hour and a half shorter and took place entirely on that island. (But this isn't about Pirates, it's about Gendo Senki. Sorry for dragging this even more off-topic.)
Kidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
(But this isn't about Pirates, it's about Gendo Senki. Sorry for dragging this even more off-topic.)

sorry but I have to add my 2 cents to this Pirates tangent. Get rid of Orlando Bloom and the film wouldn't seem so cheesy and long.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:

And by saying Superman soared over that sunked ship you mean flopped at the box office and couldn't hold a candle to the box office of Pirates 2 than yes, you would be correct. Oh and Pirates got a 79% by users at RT as compared to Supes 81%, and Pirates 2 is rated higher on BoxOfficeMojo. So really it’s just you and the critics... lucky you! Oh, and Supes pretty much sucked, at least Pirates 2 was enjoyable to watch. Now we can continue to argue our opinions on movies that have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, great.

I enjoyed Superman more than most because I did not see the 1976 film until later, but the general consensus with PII is that it was "too long", and was a "rehash" of the first movie.

What made the original wonderful was that it was surprising and "fresh"; the witty dialogue was surprising, Depp's role was unique and entertaining, and the plot was anchored in a serious and touching love story, which a fiesty barbery captain (Barbossa/Rush) who would make LéChuck proud.

The second movie was basically the same, escept with fish pirates, a yucky beasty, "driftwood" Orlando, excessive length, bastardization of character (Norrington- Gods!) and, oh, reused premises and dialogue. It's basically the same movie as the first but longer but with "cut and pasted" scenes and an inferior deliver/plot story.

That's not what I expect in a sequel. I wanted *more* than what was given in the first movie, not "a little worse".

Oh, and for a final note:

1) I hated Superman and his demi-god status from infallibility to carnality. I went into Superman Returns and came out a DC fanboy. Wow.

2) I'm a huge pirate fan, with all copies of Monkey Island, several One Piece manga tankobans, and a couple scattered costumes relating to pirates; heck, I even have Maddox bookmarked at the top of my favourites list! Anyway, I loved Pirates of the Caribbean...but, four (?) hours after going into seeing the sequel, I emerged full of rage, disappointment, and an urge to smash puny Disney.

America! What a summer!

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
I'm really curious now what the movie is like, considering the contrast between the reviews and the general response. I had fond childhood memories of Earthsea (and by God! Reading Earthsea as a child gives one terrible migraine, I remembered too well of that. Smile ) and would like to see it animated well.

As of Goro, the best thing that he could be is himself. I hope he'll strike out his own path somehow, someway. Naturally, carrying the Miyazaki name is a terrible burden and a potent weapon in the same time. I wonder though, how did Ghibli chose him? Out of talents, I hope? Confused
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
i didn't even know it was out yet. think he'll earn daddy's respect now?
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

I wonder though, how did Ghibli chose him? Out of talents, I hope? Confused

I think SUZUKI Toshio pretty much said - "here, you do it"...
wao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
I don't really get what's with people saying that jut because a lot of people went for the film, means that it's a *good* film. Sure, it makes money, sure it has publicity... but that could just mean a lot of people were curious to see what Ghibli under a newbie could offer. (Just ilke how you have so many great films that get undeserving sales because they aren't associated with a brandname or have little advertising.)
It's probably the *next* Goro film that will show how popular he is. Or heck, even if people think it sucks, I expect most would go watch it anyway, since Ghibli is one of those really ingrained Japanese anime traditions on par with thigns like Doraemon, or so it seems.

Maybe the DVD sales numbers will be more indicative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2