• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Walkure Romanze (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
Of course they didn't. If they had given it any thought the girls would have been riding in pants, which would have removed a lot of eye candy. Bouncing up and down on those garter straps would raise long narrow blisters.

I put this in the same category as Girls und Panzer. Who can come up with the most ridiculous school activity. At least they aren't actually killing each other.

In real jousting, the lances are not suppose to break. The idea was that if you couldn't penetrate the armor a square hit would throw him out of the saddle. Then you could beat him to death with a mace while he tried to stand up. When the lance did break, the splinters could be deadly. I think some royal family lost an heir that way when a splinter went through the visor. That might be fiction though, its been 40 or more years since I read about knights in armor.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
beating someone to death with a mace was allowed in a jousting match?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In real jousting, the lances are not suppose to break. The idea was that if you couldn't penetrate the armor a square hit would throw him out of the saddle. Then you could beat him to death with a mace while he tried to stand up. When the lance did break, the splinters could be deadly. I think some royal family lost an heir that way when a splinter went through the visor. That might be fiction though, its been 40 or more years since I read about knights in armor.
I'm pretty sure that in sport jousting, lances have always been designed to break.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
@getchman

Sorry, I was speaking of the middle ages when jousting was real. They occasionally used it for "trial by combat". You or your champion proved your innocence by killing your accuser. A fairly pure example of "might makes right".

@Yttrbio
I wasn't aware that jousting existed as a competitive sport. Where is it held?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Most of my experience on the subject comes from the movie A Knight's Tale, with Heath Ledger.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Yttrbio
I wasn't aware that jousting existed as a competitive sport. Where is it held?
Today, probably at a Renaissance Faire. But the "joust" as described in the show is a fairly obvious adaptation of Renaissance tournament jousting, which certainly existed, and was an opportunity for nobles to show off without killing each other.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
The historic version of competitive jousting was held in the renaissance era 1500-1600s, Theatrical jousting started in 1970s setting up the real world concept for modern competitive jousting which starting up in the 90s. (source Wikipedia)

you can of course watch youtube vids for open proof that the lances are designed to shatter even in competitive jousting, modern jousting armor are designed to be stronger and lighter than the versions produced in the renaissance era, even so the girls in the anime would probably have to me much more athletic than the series would be implying, but I hand wave such concepts because Manga and anime have more than enough sports themed productions that are usually over the top and seldomly displays honest understanding on how the portrayed sport would actually perform.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
...but I hand wave such concepts because Manga and anime have more than enough sports themed productions that are usually over the top and seldomly displays honest understanding on how the portrayed sport would actually perform.

Are you telling me that teenage boys cannot consistently throw ~100MPH fastballs without damaging their still-developing bodies? That boxers cannot take dozens of haymakers to the face without suffering brain damage? That rocket-skates cannot create hurricanes and afterimages, among other magical abilities? That basketball players cannot manipulate time so they can have entire conversations in under a second? Are you actually telling me that tennis players were not the ones responsible for the dinosaurs being killed off?

I-I thought all those sh-shows were real-life d-d-documentaries. I d-don't k-know what to b-believe in anymore.

*huddles in corner*
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I am aware that even in the middle ages most jousting was done for sport and display. However it was still dangerous by nature. The really nasty stuff was reserved for the battlefield which jousting was supposed to replicate.

As I said above, I don't think this show has much to do with reality. Neither the time frame or local matches real life. It is fun to try to figure out what would be necessary though. In real life, they would have sponsor logos all over their armor, just like a race car.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As I said above, I don't think this show has much to do with reality. Neither the time frame or local matches real life. It is fun to try to figure out what would be necessary though. In real life, they would have sponsor logos all over their armor, just like a race car.

As the setting seems to be an overly prestigious academy, I am of little doubt that everyone at the academy hales from an overly rich family or is connected to Government officials.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@FenixFiesta
Not everyone is rich, both Mio and Takahiro seem to be working for a living. I realize Noel is working as a Tartlet for kicks and giggles but Mio seems to need the money. There are private schools for the overly rich but they tend to avoid ostentatious display which would rule out jousting.

The time period is almost as mixed as the location. On one hand you have a girl transmitting live to the school broadcast system through some sort of Bluetooth device. On the other, the guy who runs the stable looks like he stepped out of a Dickens novel.

That stadium is not solely for the school which has its own facilities. I got the impression in episode 6 it was for national/international competition.

Again, this is not reality based. You just have to take it as it comes. I consider this a refreshing change from all the anime schools where the students seem to be trying to kill or maim each other.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
based on what Takahiro said in ep 6, I think he is at the school on a scholarship on the condition that he actively participates in jousting either through the knight program or as a begleiter. the cafe is off campus so naturally room and board cant be included so that explains why he works there in the evening. How Mio got into that school, I have no idea
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, some schools have special provisions for locals. Though that wouldn't explain why Mio is living at the Tart shoppe and working as a Tartlet. Maybe she is on an academic scholarship and is top of her class. Nothing we have seen would rule that out. I suppose it is possible to be intelligent and a bit of an airhead at the same time. We probably will not find out unless it becomes a plot point.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

The chafing just gets worse and worse.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow...episode 7....

That ending though.
I think this episode also might foreshadow Celia vs. Akane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8