• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Sailor Moon held up for you?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
For a lot of people this is/was THE gateway anime. For those who claim this to be their first title, what did you think of it then, and how has it held up?

If there's anyone who's seen it recently, what did you think of it compared to any newer shows you've seen?

I remember watching the dub from the moment it started airing in syndication way back in 1995. I thought it was stupid at first, but it grew on me. I watched the whole broadcast every single morning for as long as it was on syndication. Once CN picked up the "lost episodes" I flew through those as well.

Besides being my first anime, it also holds the distinction of being the show that got me to prefer subs over dubs and recognize the difference between the edited TV version vs. the uncut Japanese version, as well as being my first ever fansub. It got my SM hating friends (who had only seen it on TV) to not only change their opinion of it, but get into it as much as me. I owe a lot to SM. It even got me laid. Not really.

Now? Well, if I could some how seperate it from the nostalgia, I would find that it has a solid story and I still find a lot of the funny stuff funny. Now, the animation is horrible, and the character designs are really inconsistent; there were like 4 different character designs, not counting Stars. And no, that's not because of it's age. It smacks of being extremely formulaic. If I were watching it for the first time, I think I would still get into it, but I wouldn't be able to appreciate it nearly as much as I do now, if for no other reason than for its legacy and the insane amount of hype it's built up over the years. I also think its flaws would be more apparent as well.

Your turn.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this when I was growing up, however I wasn't moved by it to actively watch it (that would be my older brother and younger sister.) and definitely not actively pursue the anime/merchandise or any other anime for that matter at that point. One could say I was in my TMNT/Transformers bit there.

As to the series frankly I don't recall much and I haven't really sought it out, as to me at the time it was just something on TV that I could watch with my older brother and younger sister, the series itself didn't grab me.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch Sailor Moon as a child, so perhaps I have a bit of a childhood stigma about it. I've heard that it is considerably different without the edits that were required for American television, but I'm not sure if it would have enough to interest me any more. However, what you said about the solid story might be enough to change my opinion. Do you mind if I were to ask a bit more of how you see it? I'm not trying to sound like I'm requesting a recommendation or anything; I'm genuinely looking for how you see the difference.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It was probably the BIGGEST first anime I've seen (since I did watch things like Dragonball, Samurai Pizza Cats, and even Maya the Bee, which I now know was anime), and the first series that made me want to go to Japan since it was made there. Watched it in dub up until the license cut-off. I didn't return to watch the new eps years later...

After discovering Anime Insider and finding out the dub cuts, I HAD to find the originals. A couple years later, ADV and Pioneer released uncut boxsets, in which I own, plus the movies.

To this day, I'm still a huge fan, wish someone one day would license Stars (and the manga, properly with no "Bunny"...), and I still think each of the seasons have some of THE best climaxes of anime!

(I have all the non-licensed stuff on my hardrive, such as Stars, the Ami movie, and the SuperS special... oh, and the dinosaur episode, in which has FINALLY been subbed in DVD quality! I'd buy them all if I could...)
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the first anime I ever watched before Toonami came out. I used love it back then and I still would watch it now. I wouldn't mind seeing it remade in the future though without the restrictions it had back in the 90's.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
For me, its still holding up very well. I just love the art in the show, the VA's(love Prince Diamond), and the storyline of most of the arts. Its still my main pinnacle of magical girl shows.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Well now. I feel a little left out. Where's the "Never seen it, never will" option? I know FUNimation took a poll last year for titles we'd like to see rescued, and this was one of them.

However, until it's saved, chances are, I'll never see it.

Besides that, I'm still all giggly over "Sailor Uranus".

Hey, just a thought: if they re-release it, think Sailor Pluto will be Photoshopped out?
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I had enjoyed Sailor Moon up until high school. I have since moved on from Sailor Moon, because I realized there were a lot of better anime out there. It was good while it lasted, but it doesn't compare to other anime I have seen. Plus, while I didn't see SuperS, I'm told the series started to detiriorate anyway, so I didn't think I was missing much.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I found that the first season dragged a lot for me and that Usagi is just as annoying as "Serena". I haven't seen the R season recently though I really want to watch the Dark Moon stuff because I never saw it end.

I watched S and Stars subbed only, never saw S on TV and those actually hold up very well. Sure, there is tons of filler and stuff but when it gets down to dealing with the plot, it does it very good, particularly in Stars.

I almost own all of S on DVD and would definitely buy Stars if it was available...actually, if the price was right I would buy the entire series, though mostly for nostalgia value.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen it, though I'd like to, if for no other reason than 'because'.

According to an ICv2 report in mid April Toei has been shopping 200 episodes for possible license, which I believe would be all Sailor Moon episodes.

I wouldn't know if any distributor has shown any interest, since there haven't been any announcements, but who knows? Maybe it'll get a new R1 release.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Besides that, I'm still all giggly over "Sailor Uranus".

Hey, just a thought: if they re-release it, think Sailor Pluto will be Photoshopped out?

Well, fortunately in Japanese they pronounce it "oo-ran-us", which is apparently the latin (and best sounding) approach.

And why would Pluto be needed to be cut out? 0_o

Youkai Warrior wrote:
Plus, while I didn't see SuperS, I'm told the series started to detiriorate anyway, so I didn't think I was missing much.

Nah, it was just the one season that people have voted as the worst out of the 5, but MANY loved Stars! Trust me, some shows just have... the one bad season in the middle of them...Then they get good again (and in my case, THAT is when they get cancelled Sad)
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the series that really got me into anime back when I first saw it on Toonami. I was obsessed with it from about ages 9 to 11, so I have a huge soft spot and a ton of nostalgia for it.

I do still really enjoy the series (enough to warrant collecting the DVDs and having a wall scroll in my room, among other things), though I could never really enjoy it again with the same intensity as when I was younger. One thing that makes it really fun to watch again is that my 10-year-old sister loves watching it with me now, and I think it's awesome to see her like it so much at the same age I was when I first saw it. So I'd say it's held up well for me; it is the quintessential magical girl series for me.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was my first anime. And will always, always hold a special place in my heart. For me, it is what all other Magical Girl series follow and wish that they could be.

Yes, there are some series that are better both in plot and animation. But, Sailor Moon and all of it's characters have a hold on my heart that will never be broken.

And, I too, voted on that Funi poll about series to be rescued and I hope with every convention that Funi will announce that they have obtained the license and are remastering and re-dubbing the entire series. AND releasing Stars as well.

A re-release of the manga with proper translation would be nice as well - come on Del-Ray!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

A re-release of the manga with proper translation would be nice as well - come on Del-Ray!

It wouldn't be Del Ray, but Kodansha since they are the ones who own it and are publishing (a couple) english versions of manga.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Plus, while I didn't see SuperS, I'm told the series started to detiriorate anyway, so I didn't think I was missing much.

Nah, it was just the one season that people have voted as the worst out of the 5, but MANY loved Stars! Trust me, some shows just have... the one bad season in the middle of them...Then they get good again (and in my case, THAT is when they get cancelled Sad)

SuperS just a....well-meaning mistake:
Didn't deviate from the idea or the characters, but we had a slightly "nicer" ChibiUsa now the main little-girl-marketable character (oh, joy Razz ), Usagi and the Scouts reduced to supporting characters, and a wilder fantasy overstylizing from the future Utena director.
(Yeah: THAT weird-looking.)

S, OTOH, is where the series finally "grew up" from the little-kid series in the Classic and first half of R. If you only remember the show as some kitschy cult object from afternoon syndicateds, then you probably already know the characters--Jump in on the subs, and you may be surprised. Cool
Didn't much care for Stars myself (felt like the final shark-jump season where a show tries to change the format by bringing in new main characters), but S was right at the peak where they left the shortcomings of the old show behind, but hadn't yet gone overboard with the new series.
The S dub was good enough ("cousins" aside), but any Moon is better in subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6