• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 3 Favorite Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Planeswalker_Estella wrote:
Is anyone really going to read this?

Yep. I did.

Quote:
Lone Wolf and Cub - The only reason why this is tied with YKK is because I couldn't understand the social commentary and philosophical pondering on bushido. To a someone not well versed in medieval Japanese culture and Bushido, much of the violence and sex with seem completly mindless and with no point. Because of that, I felt alienated from the main characters (but Diagoro was too cute). But besides that, the story is amazing and for how long it is (9000+ pages) in only 7 years, the originaliy of each story never failed and only got better as the series went on. The artwork is completely different from all other mangas out there because it is free from any influence by Osamu Tezuka and other people influenced by the godfather of manga and the art is closer to traditional Japanese wall scrolls. It is very cimematic and detailed. Too bad the pages that were originallly colored are in black and white. Another problem that I had was with the edition I read for Dark Horse published it much too small (just a little wider and thicker then an iphone). Overall, keep it away from kids.

Lone Wolf and Cub has also had very successful exposure to the mainstream media, and has remained popular as a jidai-geki drama in Japan. I remember watching some episodes of various incarnations of the series myself. That and add on to what is followed by various age groups actually, it's not just an otaku type thing.
Planeswalker_Estella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Planeswalker_Estella I read your take on Akira and I think I will have to check it out based on your glowing review of it. I didn't really like the movie that much and always thought they could have done much more with the premise.

If you could find a copy, it has been out of print for years now and is unlikely to be reprinted in its entirety in America again (in France yes though). The reason is because the Japanese publisher of it cut short the Dark Horse printings around of it around 2004 because they wanted to publish their own edition. The only 2 places to buy them are on Amazon from alternate sellers and ebay be beware, the popularity of it drives the price up and they are expensive to obtain (ex. people charging $100 for a new copy of volume 3). If you live in the Bay Area, I know the Alameda County libarary has copies of volumes 2-6 and the Pleasanton library has volume 1 (which is where I first read it). Of the other series on the lists, they are also hard to find in stores and best to buy them off amazon with the exception of YKK because that has never been published in English. To read it, you saddly have to resort to scans.

Quote:
Lone Wolf and Cub has also had very successful exposure to the mainstream media, and has remained popular as a jidai-geki drama in Japan. I remember watching some episodes of various incarnations of the series myself. That and add on to what is followed by various age groups actually, it's not just an otaku type thing.

I did not know that. I knew they had movies about it, but never really knew how popular it is in Japan. This is probably because most of my friends that read manga read mainstream works and the ones that don't read more Western comics then manga. So my perspective on the popularity of older works is skewed.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
If you could find a copy, it has been out of print for years now and is unlikely to be reprinted in its entirety in America again (in France yes though). The reason is because the Japanese publisher of it cut short the Dark Horse printings around of it around 2004 because they wanted to publish their own edition. The only 2 places to buy them are on Amazon from alternate sellers and ebay be beware, the popularity of it drives the price up and they are expensive to obtain (ex. people charging $100 for a new copy of volume 3).

The British edition of Akira published by Titan Books is still in print (including volume 3) and easy to find online for reasonable prices. Try amazon.co.uk or bookdepository.co.uk.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I did not know that. I knew they had movies about it, but never really knew how popular it is in Japan. This is probably because most of my friends that read manga read mainstream works and the ones that don't read more Western comics then manga. So my perspective on the popularity of older works is skewed.

Lone Wolf and Cub can be considered to be on the same level as Mito Komon and Abarenbo Shogun. These series will usually run quite a while, Mito Komon since the 1950s.
SailorMooncake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
1. STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW-
I really like this because of it's general, well, cuteness! I think Barasui kind of ruined it by adding Ana as a new main character in volume 2, just as I was getting used to the 4 already-main-characters. But anyways, It's clean art and hilarious twists to everyday life just make me want more!

2. MAMOTTE! LOLLIPOP!-
I've always liked shojo romance. And manga about magic. So a magical shojo romance really made my day. I was in junior school when I read it so I could relate to all the adolescent characters in it. I also liked the cover art with the candy in the background as well as the crazy storyline! So cute...

3.(the) MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA-
Haruhi is just amazing. A classic. I love it. Yuki was always my favourite. The anime was even cooler!
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
There's so much good manga out there that it's really hard to choose just three...but here's a crack at it:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
It's sort of the manga equivalent of The Lord of the Rings, except a lot more fun to read. It's also fairly profound at times, and is probably the best thing that Miyazaki has ever made (Spirited Away being a possible exception)

2. 20th Century Boys
More about the journey than the destination. Monster had a better start and Pluto had a better ending, but it still cannot be denied that 20th Century Boys still had some of the best cliffhangers ever, as well as an enormously memorable cast of characters (save for the last few to be introduced) Too bad it didn't end well.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist
I should really put Tekkonkinkreet here instead...but screw it. In addition to being the series that got me into manga, Fullmetal Alchemist also happens to be the best shonen series ever created, and that's enough of a reason to include it on this list as any.

There are a lot of other remarkable series out there (Tekkonkinkreet, Genshiken, Yotsuba&!, Touch!, Eyeshield 21, Akira, etc.) but the ones above are my favorites.
sakura z

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Better reasons. -TK]
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
My top series right now would probably be....

1. Fullmetal Alchemist

This series got me truly started on anime and manga, even though the first anime I really saw all of was Neon Genesis Evangelion. So unique that more than one series have barely avoided my viewing them as ripping off the story. (Baccano and Buso Renkin.) Perfectly balanced humor, action, horror, mystery, and drama. Most of you know anything I could say so I'll leave off there.

2. Pluto: Urusawa X Tezuka

I'm going to usurp the previous poster and place Pluto here instead of 20th Century Boys, mainly because I haven't read all of the 20th Century Boys saga, but also because I actually felt more connection to the characters in Pluto than in 20th. I felt that the emotional impact Urusawa was able to put into a single chapter was quite remarkable, as I was brought to tears at more than one instance, and as a story of robotic murder, this one blows I Robot out of the water in every way possible. 20th Century Boys drags itself out too long and the timeskip lowered it too much in quality, which is unfortunate. I have yet to read Monster.

3. Rurouni Kenshin

This one came about in a particular instance of irony. I never liked the art style and never bothered to pick it up, thinking the main character was a girl. I got a friend to read Fullmetal Alchemist, and my friend loved it, then the same friend got me to try this one. I was intensely skeptical, but as an artist I immediately fell in love with the seamless artwork and the mangaka's ability to make me fall in love with such now-cliche characters. His knack for creating characters after video game and comic book characters was almost like a recurring joke in itself, and I have to say that RK is the most enjoyable shounen I've ever read. I don't consider FMA to be shounen. Sanosuke rocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seaechiowai

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Maison Ikkoku. I don't think I've ever gotten sick of this manga and I've probably read it through completely twice. I just find the characters so interesting and I appreciate how it doesn't rely on a bunch of pop-culture refernces for laughs (which alienates me in most respects, seriously, I've never seen Star Wars...or heard of it until I was 12...). I can appreciate how its humor can be both witty and dark at times.

I read some of this and I think it's really good. I enjoy how believable, likable these characters are, even though it's old fashioned.
jetz wrote:

Yotsuba&! - I like it because it's easy and relaxing to read, and Yotsuba's just so cute! I always try to look for manga that are similar to Yotsuba&!

Yotsuba is badass. When you come across some you need to let the rest of us know, because I haven't been successful.
DaphHime wrote:
1) Excel Saga Sadly overlooked in the manga community. I love everything from the art style, to the characters, to the story. I like how, on the serfice, it's a simple comedy manga but it explodes to epic perportions in the later volumes. Not only does the story grow but so does Rikudo's art style. There is a huge amount of growth between volume one and the more recent volumes.

The early chapters of Excel Sagas were awesome. Particularly, the one where Excel and Hyatt sells phones, is probably the funniest chapter of any comics I read in my life. The series IMO had the best translator. I think it dragged out in the later parts a bit, and I think the visual style is a bit unfitting.
Kruszer wrote:

Ai Yori Aoshi- A wonderful series, from beginning to end made especially worth it by being an out of the ordinary harem series where the choice is obvious from the get go and the two just find it hard to get alone time. It kind of gets bogged down in mediocre harem in the middle but starts and finishes very strong with a sweet and very satisfying conclusion that I liked a lot.

I didn't even realize that the series was over. I read it up to like vol 11, and they took forever to put out new volumes so I forgot about them. Time to pick it up I guess. I hope something good happened to Tina by the end. Thanks for the heads up.
BoiHime wrote:

2. Real Bout High School:
Samurai Girl!! The manga is so much better than the anime will ever be. It's one of my favorites because Ryoko Mitsurugi is so much like myself, and I love a good manga with funny, interesting fights.

RBHS is awesome. I only got into it because of the title(real bout is my fav game), but visually it's the greatest.
yamata no orochi wrote:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
It's sort of the manga equivalent of The Lord of the Rings, except a lot more fun to read. It's also fairly profound at times, and is probably the best thing that Miyazaki has ever made (Spirited Away being a possible exception)

Yeah, I kinda agree somewhat with you. Of his comics I think Nausicaa was the most refined. I like it way much more than the film version for sure.

OK My picks:
Slam Dunk: It feels like it's absolutely free of filler chapters. Characters are so real, cool and also the quotes are amazing.
"Old man.. What was the highest point of your career?" "..." "When you competed in Olympics, I guess?" "But for me, this moment is my time!!"
From the begging to end, every book in this series is gripping. I can't wait until I get to finish the series in English.
Confidential confessions: I don't even care if these are fictions. These collection of mini stories are incredible. The one with suicidal kid and her friend personally hit close to home for me.
Great Teacher Onizuka
This final act of Onibaku series is the best one. The ending didn't really suit the series as a whole, but it did end the GTO portion of it well. Teachers worldwide go through a lot of dirt, Eikichi is one that I wish I could have had as a teacher.
[ARX7]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
1) Kami no Mizo Shiru Sekai (The World Only God Knows) damn funny about the kid who gets trapped in a contract with a demon and uses his gal-game knowledge to finish the contract.

2) GTO - comedy, shounen, school life. Easily my fave when I first finished the whole story and it doesn't get that much boring after reading it again for the second or third time.

3) Fairy Tail - it's something similar to OnePiece (everyone got their special skill/magic) but then I like it more.. dunno why Anime hyper
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't even realize that the series was over. I read it up to like vol 11, and they took forever to put out new volumes so I forgot about them. Time to pick it up I guess. I hope something good happened to Tina by the end. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, it ended a year or two ago. Volume 17 is the final installment in the series and ends the series very well in my opinion. You should definitely try to locate the rest.
mackleto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
1)Eden I've just finished the last chapter available... Characters are just too well done. There just isn't any you could go and say "Bahh" about, even those at backgrounds (something like what happens with Akira). It has some funny scenes (9 secs xdd) and some very, very sad moments; I felt like stopping reding after some characters deaths... but this is one of the good points of Eden. I don't like the religion topics that show up somentimes (the manga is not bout that), but that's the only bad stuff coming to my mind.

2)Air Gear
Drawings are just awesome, quite the art. The story and also the characters are well developed. It´s a great "trying not to be" sci-fi manga.

3)Vagabond
It's art is not half bad and the story is pretty good (it's history indeed). This is the best samurai-like manga I`ve ever read.

There are also others tha could fit the third place... Black Lagoon (not usual... I enjoyed more it's anime than the manga), Akira, Gantz, Shamo, My Balls(this one is great... on it's own way Xd), Berserk, HxH, Naruto, Blame, Beck (it's like first volumes and lasts weren't the same manga), Id,Old Boy...
hamaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Better reasons. -TK]
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
#3 Dr. Slump: Toriyamas classic comedy, its silly nonsensical, and really somewhat juvinile at times, but I love it!

#2 Case Closed (Detective conan): I have loved mystery series since I was a Kid, and Conan is by far one of the best, the characters, the story, the artstyle, its one of those little oddities that can be equally enjoyed by all ages.

#1 Black Lagoon: A great Seinen Action series, Every Volume is Like Reading an Action Movie

Honerable Mention to: Pandora Hearts, Soul Eater, and Slam Dunk .
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
1) Reborn what can I say? The story is pretty interesting and it's good action series...but the characters really make it for me. They never take the mafia concept to seriously and it's interesting to see just how much care was put into such a zany cast of characters.

2) One Piece: The best written shonen ever. The charcters are fun, the story gets deeper over time and the world in which it takes place is rich and Oda takes a lot of time exploring it, which leads to the thing that makes the series unique: it's entirely about the adventure. Sure there are villains and underlying conspiracies, but Luffy and his crew are pretty much just enjoying the adventure, and it helps in drawing people of all ages in.

3) Psyren: Another well written shonen, and the most underrated manga currently running in JUMP. The characters are pretty cool with quite a few abandoning a lot of the annoying tropes that go with their character type(ex: Tsudere is NOT in an argument with the main character every 5 seconds). The series also has a story that not only gets better over time, but flows extremely well and is actually a pretty smooth ride in terms of writing, and of course it has godly fight scenes that can actually compare to Bleach's(I'll give Bleach that much credit).

Others(my 4th and 5th)
Future Diary: It's a pretty chilling story with some insane characters. Given the premise of a series where people are competing to become God, it manages to avoid getting too cliched with things and keeps the story going pretty well. It helps of course that the series has Yuno, the greatest(and craziest) yandere ever as the main female character....

Fairy Tail: I like it mostly for the reasons I like One Piece, but the series holds something to it;s own. It provides a pretty wacky cast of characters and tells the tale of a pretty wild adventure. It's not the most original series, but it's one that does almost everything right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13