• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 3 Favorite Manga

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsutsugamushi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad people are still posting on this topic. I discovered manga 2 years ago and had an intense "where have you been all my life" kind of reaction, reading everything I could get my hands on. (The good thing about stumbling across this subculture later in life is having some disposable income...) Now I'm starting to have a hard time finding new series that measure up to my favorites. After reading these posts, I've got a bunch of new series to try out.

Favorites are:

Hikaru no Go: Brilliant plotting and character development. It could probably be about making your way through accounting school and I would still be riveted, that's how good the storytelling is. Side note: Did anyone else feel like the anime added a unsuitable BL undercurrent that isn't present in the manga (all those smouldering gazes between Hikaru and Akira set to dramatic music kept making me think, "just get a room, already!". And clearly none of those boys should be getting in Ogata 9-dan's car.)

Loveless: 'Cause I don't mind a little (OK, a lotta) BL undercurrent when it's supposed to be there. The art is that fascinating combination of sexy and menacing, but never veers in to exaggeration. It maintains its tone through and through, which means an immersive reading experience. I personally also like the obliqueness of the sacrifice-fighter system (does Yun Kouga even know what it's all for?). Every time I reread it, I understand a little more.

NANA: Realistic characters. Realistic situations. They are adults. When they meet someone they're attracted to, they don't wonder for 17 chapters if they can ever confess their true feelings. They just hop in bed. And then it gets messy and uncomfortable, and sometimes serious consequences happen, just like in real life. I love manga for the escapism, but I love it best when the world I'm escaping in to feels authentic.

I also have a question. It looks like Revolutionary Girl Utena was originally a manga, then adapted in to an anime. I never hear about the manga. Is that because the anime is much better, or because the manga is hard to find?
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
tsutsugamushi wrote:

I also have a question. It looks like Revolutionary Girl Utena was originally a manga, then adapted in to an anime. I never hear about the manga. Is that because the anime is much better, or because the manga is hard to find?

I admit I haven't read the manga, but the general consensus seems to be that the anime and manga don't really compare and that the anime is much better. Which makes sense--Ikuhara is highly regarded in the anime community and he considered Utena to be his magnum opus. Though that shouldn't stop you from trying it out if you're interested in it, of course! Smile
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Most big Utena fans absolutely loathe the manga because it doesn't have all of the subtext. I really liked it personally, but I enjoy Utena most at the level of "girl who wants to be a prince" and find the subtext to be a nice bonus, but not that important to me. So, if you enjoy the anime because of all the subtext, allegory, Jungian moments, then you probably won't like the manga. If you like it for the basic premise, you might enjoy it. It does lose quite a few characters though.

Additionally, if you're a big fan of the Black Rose arc you might be disappointed. I'm pretty sure that's completely skipped in the manga. Which might be another reason I enjoyed it--I don't particularly care for that arc in the anime.
Vanin1derland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Not in any specific order since it's difficult to order them in favourites but here it goes:

1. Hetalia: Axis Powers - I prefer the comic strips over the anime because there is more humor in them and things seem to be more clear and obvious *cough* sexuality *cough*

2. Kuroshitsuji - SO much better than the anime, I gurantee you that! The anime basically kind of bastardized the series. Stories go more in depth and they make a whole lot more of sense.

3. Alice 19th - Short series but amazing for only a manga that lasted for only 7 volumes. Inspiration came from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, as said by the artist/writer, and it's a very unique storyline with unique characters.

I feel as if maybe I'm not too much of a manga veteran but these are 3 of my favorites Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Vanin1derland wrote:
SO much better than the anime, I gurantee you that! The anime basically kind of bastardized the series. Stories go more in depth and they make a whole lot more of sense.

This is my line of thought for why i prefer manga over anime in general, 9 times out of 10 the anime adaptation of a series will have had to re-arrange or omit certain plot details or cut things out of stories totally.

its like with Berserk, because it was a TV anime they couldnt show guts being raped as a kid but they left in the trait he developed of hating being touched and also some of the sexual stuff that came into play later. I can see why it was left out but although its a small omission it plays a big part and its just one example of the kind of thing that gets lost in transition. Other times the ainime is made before the manga is done and they will develop as different entities like with Trigun.

Not sure how much of either of those scenarios play out in relation to kuroshitsuji but it seems to happen to all manga one way or another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13