• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching through the series, for the second time, a few days ago. I have to say, the show was pretty good--not nearly as good as some of the other shows I've seen, but still good.

spoiler[But, I didn't like how a lot of things were poorly explained and, in some cases, flat-out unanswered. Like, for example, what happened to Jan Valentine? He suddenly vanished and never came back. Did he actually die from when Integra shot him? I mean, he was laughing as he vanished so it doesn't seem like he died. And what about the guy who took Victoria Seras to see Helena and died in the car explosion afterward? Who was behind that? And why? Not to mention, why did Incognito visit Helena and kill her? What'd she have to do with anything? She seemed like she was supposed to be somewhat of a big character, yet they didn't do a hell of a lot with her. They didn't explain much about her and they killed her off right away. And why'd Incognito come out of nowhere to attack the Hellsing organization. It's like they pulled him out of their ass. And they actually think they can end the show the way they did? Ending before everything is resolved or concluded? WTF is that? They should've kept going until they found out who was behind the FREAK chips and after they ended that whole thing...or died trying. And what about Alexander Anderson? They couldn't put him and Alucard together for a final fight to kill him off or something? Or, if they didn't want him to die, they should've at least done something with him. They shouldn't just have him pop in and out for a fight here and there. He should've had a bigger role than that if they didn't want to just kill him off.]

I know I just complained like crazy about the show and bombarded you guys with questions (sorry about that), but I still liked the show. I just think it could've done so much better if they answered some of those questions and also extended the series to continue it (spoiler[the plot]), rather than ending where it did. Anyway, do any of you guys no the answers to some of those questions? Also, what did you guys think of the show? Do you guys know anything about the OVA series that's coming out? Is it a retelling of the story? A continuation of the story (from where it left off)? A completely new story (unrelated to the TV series)? Thanks.
Neko_Ryo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I can see why you have a lot of questions. I have alot as well. I thought the series was ok but the plot and story telling lacked. I can answer some. spoiler[I think Jan Valentine died. I am guessing Incognito ate her so he could achieve more power. I was also pissed that Anderson and Alucard never had a final battle. Towards the end I was thinking that Anderson was Incognito's master.] Also the Hellsing OVA is supposed to stick more to the storyline. I hope it is alot better than the tv series. Sorry i could not answer more questions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
In terms of the TV series, everything after the raid on Hellsing HQ is filler and never happened.

The OAV is a retelling of the entire story using all of the original manga material. From what I've seen in the first episode, it is an excellent rendition aside from rearranging some scenes.

From what I saw, I assume each episode will be 50 minutes and cover apporxmately one volume of the manga. I've only read through Vol.2 and have heard rumors that the franchise will end at Vol.10 or somewhere around there.

Vol.1 of the OAV is set for release this year on December 5. The art is a bit edgier and the animation is a LOT better. The music (which I love in the TV series) is also different; more of a mix of orchestral, techno, and rock, but pretty good in in itself. It will be presented in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound.

I suggest you start collecting the manga since there are so few volumes of it, or at least invest in the OAV since there will probably some really long gaps between each release between here in the States and in Japan. Vol.1 came out in February over there, and Vol.2 is just now coming out in August.

It'll be a while till they finish the whole thing at this rate, but at least it'll get good treatment Wink.

EDIT: Corrected some grammar.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The new OVA series is a retelling of sorts. It will follow the manga faithfully unlike the TV series. They will be more or less the same until after the Valentine Brothers' invasion of Hellsing (roughly the 1/2 point of the TV series) which is where the TV series started going on its own path.

Most of the questions you have are simply a result of Gonzo's poor storytelling and their half-assed story for the second half. The FREAK chips were not in the original manga nor were Helena or Incognito. As for Jan Valentine spoiler[he did indeed die.]
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah up until incognito they sorta followe dthe manga, then they did indeed oull him out of their ass. The OVA will eventually cover the whole manga (which isnt over yet.)

Quote:
And what about Alexander Anderson? They couldn't put him and Alucard together for a final fight

Oh yes, just recently happened in the manga in the midts of the main conflict, AKAspoiler[ vampire (and other freak) Nazi organization invading London VS Catholic army of doom VS one-man-army known as Fully Powered Alucard.] So awsome it hurts.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
In terms of the TV series, everything after the raid on Hellsing HQ is filler and never happened.

Actually, that's not entirely true. The flashback sequence in Episode 10 with spoiler[young Integra freeing Alucard] actually happened in the manga. Everything surrounding those flashbacks, however, was totally filler.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Actually, that's not entirely true. The flashback sequence in Episode 10 with spoiler[young Integra freeing Alucard] actually happened in the manga. Everything surrounding those flashbacks, however, was totally filler.

Whoops, completely forgot about that. Haven't seen the series in like 3 years, and I've re-read volume one of the manga and rewatched volume one of the OAV so much that it feels so natural now Razz.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so the TV show totally derailed from the manga after the Valentine Brothers incident (with the exception of Integra's flashbacks)? No wonder! That's when everything started to flop. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the OVA will be a lot better. I can't wait! Very Happy

Hm, now that you mentioned that, it makes sense that
spoiler[Incognito ate Helena.] I know you weren't sure, but that's a good reason. But, um, spoiler[how did Jan die?] I don't really get that. spoiler[ For one, he was laughing as he "died", which is odd, but, secondly, I thought gunfire was useless on the Valentine Brothers because Alucard couldn't kill Luke with simple gunfire like that.] Weird. spoiler[I don't think Alexander was Incognito's master, though, because he was against all vampires, and for him to be his master, he'd have to be behind the FREAK chips, which wouldn't make sense.]

Anyway, I'm happy that they're making an OVA that will stick to the manga (and it'll hopefully be better because of that), but in a way, I wish they'd retell this story so they can spoiler[fill in all the blanks that they left last time.] Anyway, thanks, everyone. Very Happy
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I think they were special bullets that integra shot Jan V. with(they lit up and he bursts into flames), for a crazy bad guy to die laughing gives a feel of erieness but he's 6 feet under now. Wink
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Now, I get it! Thanks, omar235. Very Happy
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Jan:

spoiler[ In the manga, after he gets shot up and questioned a bit, he tells Integra there's a machine in his body that's monitoring the conversation word for word, and he says "because the operation went to shit, ya' still think they'd let me live?" Then he snaps his fingers and a giant flame runs across his neck and incinerates his body.

It wasn't Integra's bullets that burnt him, it was a self destruct mechanism on the computer chip that made him a Freak belonging to an organization which was not mentioned in the anime (Millenium).]
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Wow! spoiler[The manga definitly covered the story a hell of a lot better than the anime, then. WTF? How could they skip something like that? Why didn't they leave that scene in? That would've made much more sense. I mean, it'd only add another minute to the episode to do it. I wish they'd make manga to cover the rest of the TV series. Then, it'd make a lot more sense.] I mean, I'm not really into manga, but I'd want to read it to get answers to some more of my questions and, not to mention, a better understanding of everything, overall. Damn. Anyway, thanks, Tony K. Very Happy

I can't wait for the OVAs! I'm sure they'll be so much better! Razz
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, with all these spoiler tags its so tempting to read them. Must... control... myself. I have watched the first 9 or 10 episodes of Hellsing, and though aspects of the whole Vampire stuff is quite cool the story just wandered off and I still haven't felt inclined to watch the end of it. Is it just me or does the art work get sloppier and sloppier as the series goes on? Once the story and the artwork got dodgy at the same time I really didn't see the point in finishing... Maybe I should check the OVA/Manga out.

Also, it seems a bit hard to carry a story with a main character (Alucard) who is just so spoiler[ stupidly unkillable, whenever anything almost troublesome came up he just unlocked some more power and everything died. ] And I know that in theory Seras is the main character, but she doesn't even really have a part (At least not as far as I watched...)
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I always considered Alucard the main character, but come to think of it, you're right. Victoria's the main character. I can see why I didn't notice that. Again, you're right. They didn't make her to be as big as she should've been, being the main character and all.

And yes, I found it really cheesy how spoiler[Alurcard is like "fully" immortal or something]. That basically kills the story because you know spoiler[the Hellsing Organization will always win]. I also think it's stupid how Alucard has to always say that stupid thing to unlock different energy levels and crap (my attempt at quoting Alucard, even though it's wrong: "Situation A, Releasing energy control to level 1, Fight until the target is silenced"...LOL!). I also think the cheesy dialogue between him and his rivals is stupid. I mean, it's perfectly fine for them to tease and mock each other, but not like that. That's so cheesy. LOL!

But, anyway, I'd suggest you finish the TV series. I know the manga and OVAs are supposed to be much better, but it's not horrible. Besides, there are some pretty cool fight scenes in the last 4 episodes, not to mention, flashbacks of Integra's past. It's not that bad. It's pretty cool, just not as good as the OVAs and manga. I suggest you check it out anyway, especially since you're already 9 episodes into the series. Wink
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
WTF? How could they skip something like that? Why didn't they leave that scene in? That would've made much more sense. I mean, it'd only add another minute to the episode to do it. I wish they'd make manga to cover the rest of the TV series. Then, it'd make a lot more sense.

Well the Millenium organization is never mentioned in the anime, sot it would not have made much sense.

Quote:
And yes, I found it really cheesy how Alurcard spoiler[is like "fully" immortal or something. That basically kills the story because you know the Hellsing Organization will always win]

Hehe, he isn't it just takes a lot spoiler[and he has been "defeated in the past" and always by humans.]

Quote:

I also think it's stupid how Alucard has to always say that stupid thing to unlock different energy levels and crap

Thats for him to keep himself in check I believe, fully "unlocked" he is really not something you want running around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2