• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well, they are more interesting than the main characters. Although I still have to remember that the mental models killed people.

Also seemed to have an explanation of why she was only in her underwear while the coat was outside. She apparently somehow used it to her clothes as "crushable structure", something complex but would imply reason why they would be gone. I like how comfortable she looked with the coat on.

The animation is starting to look nice too in how it mimics a standard anime style but with CG.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[In the manga most of the maids in the Osakabe mansion are robots while in the anime, they're human ]

spoiler[The maid seemed suspiciously non human in the way that she acts, maybe the reveal in the next episode is that she also doubles as a combat droid and buys time for the unlikely trios escape.]

Possibly. spoiler[Then again, Haruna and Kirishima detected there were only a few life forms living in the mansion which would mean the Osakabes and their maids.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
"Shazam!" Laughing

I almost got loli diabetes from the eppie, but I enjoyed that immensely.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When AIs are housed in humanoid bodies, "I exist to serve you" takes on a whole different complexion than when it's a disembodied voice. Buffy-bot, anyone? The movie "AI"?

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Quote:
What I was getting at was a comparison to other series this fall - with Yaya the machine doll ecstatic to serve her master as his dutiful but jealous waifu, the girls of Coppelion questioning their humanity and others treating them as tools, and the actual servant Miusel in Outbreak Company who's life's ambition is serving Shinichi wither he goest. And then there's the servant of that kid in Yozakura Quartet whose name I don't know, but who silently accepts whatever indignities he dishes out. And the protector fox familiar in Tokyo Ravens. And Akatstuki in Log Horizon, although she's working completely on her own terms, so she doesn't bother me so much, and I mostly like her. There just seems to be an abundance of subservient females this fall, and Iona's Hal-like approach to her existence is how I'd rather see it done if you need to have a cute girl at the MC's beck and call.

Of those cases, I would give Myucel a break since she has very legitimate, non-sexist reasons for wanting to stay with Shinichi wherever he goes. What Shinichi has done for her would engender loyalty and devotion from anyone, male or female.

As for episode 5 of this one: wow, that was a direction I did not expect this series to go in. The character-building is nice, and it seems to be part of a clear effort to humanize mental models by bringing them in more direct contact with humans, but there's still something about this series that does not quite come together right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Of those cases, I would give Myucel a break since she has very legitimate, non-sexist reasons for wanting to stay with Shinichi wherever he goes. What Shinichi has done for her would engender loyalty and devotion from anyone, male or female.

True, but she was like that from the beginning. After he was kind to her, it just became more so. I'm not arguing that there are no in-universe reasons for her behavior, just the character type has never set well with me. I'm hoping she will grow into more independence, though I don't expect her devotion to wane.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Also seemed to have an explanation of why she was only in her underwear while the coat was outside. She apparently somehow used it to her clothes as "crushable structure", something complex but would imply reason why they would be gone.

Doesn't explain the fetching flower decoration on her thong... ;D
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for episode 5 of this one: wow, that was a direction I did not expect this series to go in. The character-building is nice, and it seems to be part of a clear effort to humanize mental models by bringing them in more direct contact with humans, but there's still something about this series that does not quite come together right.
A little work towards humanizing the humans themselves might help. I'm already seeing the strains of that tedious 'humans are the real monsters' message that appeals to the lazy moralizer.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
You could be right but at the moment I don't really think they are going to take the lazy route, provided this were to get more than 12-13 eps so they don't have to rush, since I think the story is too big for just 12-13, especially to keep the battles as lengthy and relatively slow paced as they deserve for this kind of combat, when positive human effects on the AI's also appears to be one of the themes, so I think humans and those our crew meet will be both good and bad. Therefore I don't think it'll be "humans are monsters".

I agree on the other thing though, I'm looking forward to them hopefully giving our crew more interaction/humanizing time, some more details on how they met at the academy would be good too even though it's not directly related to the story, I'd love to see even more onscreen comradery moments in the future since those are some of my favorite in these types of crew shows and I've enjoyed their teamwork in battle. This is one area I've kind of enjoyed but that I think they should be even stronger on than they've done so far, given the potential in a show like this for this stuff. And I like our crewmembers so I'd like to see them get to shine a bit more as this continues.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Key wrote:
I've had the same impression as Gina. Something has felts at least a little different about Iona since the beginning, and how matter-of-fact she is about having a master is a good way to describe it.

Aren't the mental models supposed to be like some kind of AI. I see them to be similar to HAL 2000. HAL had the ability to learn, as was shown in HAL's termination scene. Iona was ordered to serve Gunzou Chihaya. Is that really any different than HAL 2000 being ordered to serve the Discovery's crew and maintain the ship.

It just seems sad when we boil all these things down to master/slave relationships in anime, when we wouldn't do it for live action sci-fi movies.

Not saying you are personally doing that Key, and perhaps the problem is that Iona doesn't look like a Terminator unit.

But if that terminology is to be used, is Iona really a slave to her Captain (master). Iona was programmed to serve Gunzou Chihaya, but who really knows what else was programmed into her AI. Are there other 'shadow' orders that will change the current dynamic, when certain situations come about (like what happened to HAL 2000).

For all intents and purposes, currently Iona is acting more like AI running her ship, and all her former mental models seem to be running wild with emotions, excepting 400 and 402.

Agreed.

Loving the hell out of this show, also the lengthy move for move battle scenes indicative of this kind of naval (and sometimes in space shows as well) combat have been nicely gripping and gorgeous to watch.

I hope the show keeps it up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also seemed to have an explanation of why she was only in her underwear while the coat was outside. She apparently somehow used it to her clothes as "crushable structure", something complex but would imply reason why they would be gone.

Doesn't explain the fetching flower decoration on her thong... ;D

Because it is sexy. Duh!

her mental model has apparently taken an interest in understanding humans on some level, categorising phrases and words with what they mean. It almost seems odd that she would wear such a cold large jacket, although with seeing how comfortable she is with it I can conclude that she feels protected with it on like the hull of a ship. The fact on the inside she wears a sensual pair of underwear might actually say something about her character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The fact on the inside she wears a sensual pair of underwear might actually say something about her character.

I think it says more about what the makers of the show think about the character of those of us watching it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Just blew through episodes catching up on this series, and watching on a 120hz motion interpolated screen really helps the shortcomings and jerkiness of the CG by adding approximated frames in. This series is surprisingly entertaining, I love the ship's personalities and the combat situations, but when the show isn't focused on that it can drag on with stuff I don't care about.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Lol, I didn't know spoiler[teddy bears could fight] like that! Reminds me of Yoda...

Anyways, decent episode. It mainly focused on spoiler[Makie/Kirishima/Haruna which was cool since I wanted to see how their relationship will go. Good thing it did go well of course because they are friends now yay.]

The CGI threw me off a little but I liked the overall action of the episode. Oh and nice to see a cameo of Takao at the end there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Rarely has a spoiler[teddy bear been so combat effective], Sousuke would be impressed.

I don't know if it is just me, but when Iona spoke this time no emotion, I automatically thought of Miss Monochrome and started snickering.

It was a nice episode, I had come to like Haruna quite a bit.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 6. Great episode! Haruna vs the Japanese Army was exciting. And i love some of the original material the anime added.

And now another post on what was different in the manga and the Ars Nova anime:

*spoiler[In the manga, the attack by the Japanese Army was beginning when Haruna spoke with Tōjūrō, who unlike the anime where he was sick, Tōjūrō was disguised as Makie's butler Lawrence. (Makie was given false memories that her only family, her grandfather, was a member of the I-401 when in reality, her butler Lawrence, is actually her grandfather.)]
*spoiler[In the anime, the maids were humans who surrendered. But in the manga, the maids were robots who were fighting off the Army under Tōjūrō's orders but are destroyed.]
*spoiler[The attack on the Osakabe Mansion was ordered not by Kamikage or his rival Kita as the government only spied on Haruna. The attack was independently launched by an impatient Army unit who wanted the army to gain recognition in capturing the mental models since the government is focusing on the Japanese Navy. Nevertheless, Kita takes responsibility for the Army's actions since he didn't keep an eye on them acting this rashly. Also Makie still doesn't know that Haruna and Kirishima are mental models, she only finds this out until much later.]
*spoiler[Haruna didn't have trouble fighting against the Army as she was beating them easily. However, because she was also protecting Makie, she couldn't focus on eliminating the threat at the same time.]
*spoiler[The Army original mission was to capture Haruna but as the battle between her and the Army grew longer, Central Prime Minister Mitsumine and Kita discuss a plan B, eliminate Makie. Mitsumine didn't like this but felt it was a necessary evil to prevent the vibration torpedo falling into the Fog's hands so he gave Kita the permission for the army to go to plan B.]
*spoiler[And this where a major changes the anime diverges. Haruna contacts Maya whose off coast for Radar support to detect Army units locations. At the same time, the Northern Prime Minister Makoto sends a Cyborg Commando squad to protect Makie and Haruna since she's Makie's older sister. The commandos defeat the army and explains to Haruna and Makie their under orders by Northern Prime Minister Makoto to rescue them and evac to Sapporo, Hokkaido.]
*spoiler[Makie follows the commandos after Haruna begs her to follow them for her of safety. Tōjūrō is killed when he stops an Army sniper from shooting Makie which Haruna, Makie and Kirishima witnesses.]
*spoiler[Haruna goes berserk over Tōjūrō's death where she hacks Maya's ship and almost launches her missiles to destroy the Japanese Capital cities but a very important character, which i won't reveal, communicates with Haruna and calms her down. All of the mental models detect this person before that person disappears.]
*spoiler[While Haruna and Kirishima leaves the Osakabe Mansion by the I-401 in the anime, they leave by boarding on Maya's ship and heads to Hokkaido after the Cyborg Commandos tells Haruna and Kirishima that Makoto wants to have a talk with them. Also during this time, the I-401 is still on route to Iwo Jima before they encounter U-2501 of the European Fleet of Fog.]

The anime has already diverged much from the manga's plot so what happens next will an original story.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Damn not only are they over powered on the sea, they can destroy the army on land too. So why haven't they been ordered to attack humans on land yet?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Damn not only are they over powered on the sea, they can destroy the army on land too. So why haven't they been ordered to attack humans on land yet?

The Admiralty Code. The one who gives the orders to the Fleet of Fog which includes not attacking human settlements on land except collateral damage which was explained a few episodes ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10