• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
The season's going to end before they make it to the first checkpoint!

@DuskyPredator His training reminded me of Araki in Knight in the Area. I guess the idea was that he'd build up his muscles and heart by carrying around all the extra weight, and then when he shed the pounds (overnight, usually) it'd be like removing ankle weights.

Seeing this pop up again, albeit in a somewhat more realistic form, makes me wonder how the Japanese think of fat and metabolism. Maybe sumo has clouded their view...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

This series can be really inconsistent at times. Some episodes saying that what was so important is like how Onoda's legs have gotten so good that he can get a lot of cadence, but then this time saying that apparently the core muscles are so important. I actually question if it is actually being accurate as I would think he would be heavier, and it seemed to go against other things the series set up.

Hakone captain: "his weapon other weapon is how spoiler[single minded objective he can be]."
I call bullshit, he spoiler[spent most of the time turning around and talking to the people behind him, cycling without hands, and talking to his abs, and also yelling about abs]. He is a lot of things, but spoiler[goal focused] is not one of them. I would not be surprised if he suddenly decided to take pictures or oil himself up while in the middle of the race. And again with I am pretty sure Japanese schools being pretty strict, couldn't he also get in trouble for exposing himself?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, that Izumida is a bit too obsessed with his muscles.
I don't think everything is just about muscles.
spoiler[Naruko and Jin were going full out, but still... not enough.]
Looks like muscles do help after all ^^
Jin's story gave us a nice background about him.
Lots and lots of hard work and persistence.
The same goes for Naruko as well.
spoiler[The rest were still in a group, keep a consistent pace.
Glad they finally did that checkpoint.]

It sure was an intense ride!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
"The last 250 meters only takes a few seconds." No, apparently it takes more than 20 minutes. And sorry hon, but lungs don't work that way. Pressing them doesn't give you more oxygen. Very Happy

Snark aside, I really did enjoy the backstories, especially Naruko's. But I have to think the race officials are kind of incompetent not to have foreseen that possibility in that stretch.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
Praise the lord, they finally made it spoiler[to that first checkpoint!] I'm not sure i would have been able to survive another ep. of spoiler["abs and lungs"...]

Young Naruko was the cutest, though. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

*Before the episode* I hope that I don't have to hear about abs again now that the character has gotten serious, it was super annoying.
*After the episode* ....... Damn that character, rarely do I wish I could physically injure a character who has not done anything actually wrong.

Well the backstories were good, so points there. But it is like they were racing Frieza with how long this race was going. Plus I am trying to figure out if the car slowed down to match the sprinter's speed, when the sprinters will require new water bottles at the next stop.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Being in the lead feels great!
Ononda and his team got to experience some satisfaction of that.
Naruko was a bit down, but quickly recovered.
Izumida was puzzled by the determination.
Guess he never thought about things like Jin.
It's climbers time to shine now!
Toudou made quite an appearance as well.
Looks like it's gonna be Onoda, Makishima & Toudou in the mountains.
Damn, that incident was unexpected this early in the race.
Things just got seriously complicated.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Stop whining and start moving, you freaking spaz!]

spoiler[oh well, as Shunsuke said, he works harder when there's someone in front of him. So he's set.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ok, creepy lizard guy was already creepy enough. Did not need.

Heh, my biggest worry was that Onoda spoiler[caused the accident], which would make him feel just terrible. Apparently he just spoiler[got caught up in it] (and I hope we never find out different).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
oh right, wanted to be the first to make the guess....

spoiler[Creepy lizard guy's team caused the wreck to split the other teams, wreck everyone else's chances. because, ya know, evil cheating guy.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Actually i'm hoping that - spoiler[even with his shounen main character powers - it will take Onoda a while to make it back to the front because i want to see an epic "Toudou aka the most beautiful climber ever vs. Maki-chan mountain battle".] Pretty please?!Smile
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 25

This series can be really inconsistent at times. Some episodes saying that what was so important is like how Onoda's legs have gotten so good that he can get a lot of cadence, but then this time saying that apparently the core muscles are so important.

In real life, high cadence is easy on the legs but hell on the lungs/heart.

Low cadence is hard on the legs but easy on the heart/lungs.

For what it's worth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 26

So one team spoiler[shows that their sprinters are in front, and everyone just lets them go in front of them]? And do we have a time stamp of how long it might have taken for spoiler[sprinters to fall back], or how long it took spoiler[Onoda to fall into last place and start riding again]? Or what about the fact he spoiler[fell off and did not have a helmet on his head], are they like treating them like fashion accessories?

It does look Imaizumi has a new hobby.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one bored to death with this setup? The exact same scenario has happened like 4 times on the series:spoiler[ Onoda is unable to keep up, he gets a panic attack, he fucks up even more (how much can it take to fix the chain? 20 seconds at much?), and ends in a hopeless situation]. It happened on the first years race, on the training camp and I think in his race against Imaizumi too. Every time Onoda starts hyperventilating I just roll my eyes at this point.

But apart from that I'm still loving this series so long as Abs guy doesn't get another spotlight episode ever again (I could walk 1 Km in less time than it took me to watch them pedal through the same 1 Km at 50Km/h, if that makes any sense).

So looking forward to spoiler[Toudou vs Makishima] though
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
About five seconds if you know what you're doing. Onoda doesn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 30