• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
Excuse me Banken, but this a forum, and the whole point is for the members to talk about the episode they watched. Being a huge fan of the subject matter is not necessary, I don't need to be told that I should just not watch it if I am not enjoying it as much as other. Just because you don't want to hear it does not mean that no one cares that someone is considering to drop the show because of how shounen it feels.

What I mean by terminology is that a character elsewhere may suddenly use terminology like a buzzword, the all of a sudden it becomes hot topic for another character to talk about, or incredibly important. It makes it feel quite in-organic.

For the record I have done some bike riding also, I haven't touched my bike in quite a while. I always think it so odd that I see characters without helmets since helmets while riding a bike are required by the law in Australia, probably mostly this country though. I can sympathise a little with the social aspect of riding with others, but hearing the technical side just annoys me, I have had to listen to friend's annoying explanations of it recently.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
If you had said "Gosh, this show is too shonen for me," I could respect that.

But the way you phrased it basically sounds like an ultimatum to the creators, "This should had better get less shonen or I am SO 'dropping' it." The show cares not that you are "dropping" it. Especially since you're pirating it anyway. And why not just say "stop watching it?"

Funny fact, "dropping" in cycling means leaving behind slower riders during a group ride. Happens to me EVERY TIME. lol.

(for what it's worth, try to keep in mind that the manga is from a magazine called SHONEN CHAMPION... which is to say, it's level of shonen have apparently won some sort of competition)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
My comments were not along the lines that they should get less shounen, but that I am realizing that it might be too much for me. I like some of the genre, well mostly Fairy Tail, but I am giving an honest impression of what I am watching.

I am sorry if the tone that I wrote came across as rather harsh, but that is not my intent. The intended phrasing was that my current opinion was that it might not be for me, so I should stop if I don't enjoy it. I don't have such a high opinion of my taste anything that did not match had little merit.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
This show is very shounen and has its sports tropes but I am still enjoying it a lot. Like I said I am not into sports and don't really care about the sports lingo what I care about is the characters.

Although right now I think I prefer Onoda's interaction with Imaizumi, Naruko is a fun character too. I find the friendship aspect of the series while a bit cliche, very charming.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I really like the passion for cycling that this series oozes with. A sports series is nothing without passion for the sport, and I find myself caring about cycling while I'm watching the show, IMO the mark of a good sports anime. (Big Windup! made me care about baseball, Hikaru no Go made me care about go, Chihayafuru made me care about karuta, etc.) I like the characters a lot so far too, especially the parallels being drawn between the otaku Onoda and the "bike otaku" Imaizumi. The show seems to be going for a message that it doesn't matter what you're passionate about, as long as you're passionate about something, which is a really nice uplifting message. Smile So far the show has never looked down on Onoda for his obsession, instead celebrating the fact that he is able to love something so much and so unironically.

With regards to the most recent episode, I had a lot of fun watching it. I already love Naruko in all his loud, obnoxious, overenthusiastic glory. xD He seems to be a really great guy and his friendship with Onoda seems like it'll be pretty heartwarming.

The show is very shounen-sports-anime, but I happen to have a soft spot for a lot of those tropes and this series is executing them well so far, so I'm having a blast with it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote

spoiler[I think this anime is underrated.
Naruko sure loves cycling with all his heart.
You could feel the passion in his words.
Looks like Naruko's little plan stirred up serious interest.
It was about time for Onoda to make his choice.
Things are about to get really interesting.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Naruko ftw! He's likely one of my favorites from the show now with his energy. I wonder how well these first years will do though to impress the others in the club. Should be fun..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I got a kick out of Sakamichi's approach to spoiler[the rollers. It'll be fine, I'm used to falling over.] Very Happy

Why are high school cafeterias always like Black Friday sales?
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
FWIW, those aren't school cafeterias, they're the school's store. Bread-based foods (curry bread, melon bread, etc) are popular and cheap, so obviously they sell out fast.

Once again, great directing of the series. A few nice changes that improve on the base material.

Originally,

spoiler[ The scene where he gets a flat tire and Miki's brother gives him the road racing book didn't happen. Naruko loaned him the book. I think this is actually better, since they're making a good effort to increase his presence. ]

But again, the subs are slightly off. For example, Naruko said "we need to get you on a road bike" not "you should ride the roads."

spoiler[

They also added the scene with Hakogaku. LOL at the original segment after the ending...
]

FWIW, it took me about 15 minutes to ride on rollers... another five minutes and I was riding them no hands. Starting is hard, staying up is easy.

I have been cycling in this area for three years and just now realized there was a purpose-built cycling road in the area. Sigh...

Last edited by Banken on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
FWIW, those aren't school cafeterias, they're the school's store. Bread-based foods (curry bread, melon bread, etc) are popular and cheap, so obviously they sell out fast.

So why don't they stock more to sell?
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Beats me. These sort of bread items go bad really fast (they're usually sold the same day they're made) so they can't afford to not sell out, I guess. Japanese schools are very poorly funded for a first-world country.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Finally race time!
Been looking forward to this.
It's a shame Onoda is still stuck with his mommy bike.
The race course is no joke, that's for sure.
Some of the possible members were overconfident and irrational.
Guess that showed just how much of beginners they are.
Onda was having a bit of a fit for a moment there.
Luckily things turned into his favor ^^]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6...

About time Sakamachi got a spoiler[new bike]. His mommy bike is useful for carrying stuff but really not for racing. Anyways, yeah. Hope this race finishes off well.

Lol @ the dialogues after the ED credit song btw. Hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, those tag scenes are always great. Very Happy

Aw, it really got to me when poor Sakamichi was spoiler[desperately scrambling for his bike to avoid being recovered.] I expect they'll find the first kid dead by the side of the road halfway up the hill.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
Well, that escelated quickly, spoiler[poor Onoda-kun turned into Eren Jaeger...]don't get me wrong, i'm still enjoying this, i just wished that characters were a bit less...um...passionate.

My prediction for the race: spoiler[Onoda will somehow catch up to Imaizumi and Naruko because he really, really, really wants to ride with them and tennis guy, baseball guy and "i am an experienced racer" guy will probably quit soon because their character designs are so boring that i can't believe they will become regulars.]

Btw, i really like the look of the senpai with the long, green hair though i wonder if this is very aerodynamic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30