• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did I just witness Renge going into Jojo mode with her attack this week? Now that was a moment of pure awesomeness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Now that was a moment of pure awesomeness.

It was the most violent event of the two seasons so far. I am aghast.

But at least it is good to know Renge can stick up for herself if she has to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

lol, the anticipation of what Hikage was happy about and it turning out to be a McDonalds breakfast. Well thing are exciting the first time. Komari is like a generation or behind.

Renge: "You mean Distress." Lol, a weird Renge drawing, a portrait of her sister looking like deep meaning art. That picture was kind of cool.

And Hotaru's child like nature when she is at home. I said earlier that seeing Hotaru acting like an actual kid her age was good to see, and seeing it here where she shifts from public image to "baby at home" was really fun to see. I really did not expect Hotaru to be a favourite part of an episode over Renge drawing and getting angry, but it a fun part of her personality.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
About ep. 8, I started rewatching the first series, about episode 10 of Repeat I reached episode 10 of the first. For 10 an 11. I first watched original and then Repeat with nothing in between.
It is kind of amazing how well the two series dovetail episode wise in tone.
I loved the first, but I think the presentation has improved in repeat.
At lunch today I went home and watched original 12.
First thing after work I will watch the end.
I am already sad that it is ending.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow..............

I almost cried. Seriously, I almost did. That was just too touching near the end especially seeing the montage music played with all the characters under the Sakura Tree having the picnic.

Imo, this was the one of my favorite series of the Summer and possibly this year. Never going to forget either season. Rating it excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Damn they use Suguru in such hilariously subtle ways lol Wish Hikage would have taken a picture with him like she did with Konomi (I would have fanboyed so hard!), but it's nice that she took a picture of just him. Brilliant season. Favorite episode had to be the tadpole episode, but they were all great!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Finale)

Alright, before I start wrapping up the season I will see what I said about the last episode of the first season...... Interesting, my comments were on fairy Renge and Hotaru eating Komari's cooking, both elements that were quite directly referenced in this episode. And more so, had the same type of slideshow of this season. Actually the episode was filled with references to how these characters have moved this season, and it really is something that works.

I would really be at risk of repeating a lot, this season (repeat) repeated what the first season did with literally no loss. Does that sound bad? It is not, from what I expected being let down as repeating the same year, I saw little holes filled in that only made it more complete without feeling like it was repeating itself. Star parts of the season I think are a bit of focus on a couple characters who maybe did not get it at first, Natsumi is one and I would say Hikage too.

I think they maybe even improved in general in a few places. I have a love for the style of this show, it has a clear sit down and just listen to around you, no more evident then the scene in this episode that had Komari and Hotaru go and get drinks while Renge chased after a butterfly before Natsumi following her. I rate the show as Excellent, the same rating that I gave the first season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
it has a clear sit down and just listen to around you, no more evident then the scene in this episode that had Komari and Hotaru go and get drinks while Renge chased after a butterfly before Natsumi following her.

What I like about that scene and others like it is the incredibly solid sense of self confidence that it projects about itself. The action and story are as simple and serene as the artwork is exacting is elaborate. Suguru enters stage right and exits stage right somehow accomplishing more than lesser animes would use packed dialog for. Nothing more needs to happen and the director knows it.

Everything they set out to do they clearly do. They make it look easy and we all know it ain't. So what I would like to know is what are the points that would cause someone to rate this as less than Masterpiece?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So what I would like to know is what are the points that would cause someone to rate this as less than Masterpiece?

For me I think it was the discovery of an anime that kind of managed it, which I found was Barakamon. If I want to point to a masterpiece of slice of life, I will do it to that. Non Non Biyori does quite perfectly do what it sets out to do, but there is still something that stops me from saying Masterpiece.

Maybe a more varied cast?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Everything they set out to do they clearly do. They make it look easy and we all know it ain't. So what I would like to know is what are the points that would cause someone to rate this as less than Masterpiece?

A Masterpiece accomplishes something more than a thoroughly competent job and transcends its peers. If you personally feel it accomplished that then you rate it as such. I didn’t.

It will almost certainly rate as a top ten show of the year for me, probably top 5, but it’s no masterpiece. My only recent masterpieces, Cross-Game and Nichijou, have only been rated so retroactively after I fully appreciate the impact the show had on me).

I found Non Non Biyori a thoroughly pleasant show but I always knew what I was getting and where it would go, especially in this “repeat” format. I stopped actively looking forward to it about halfway through this season and would often even watch the thoroughly mediocre same-day show Actually, I Am because it at least had a forward momentum

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Non Non Biyori is back!

Seeing the cast again after all these years is yet so refreshing, especially Renge.

Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated returning show of this season. It was so nice to see all these characters again. Even though I first saw it a mere two years ago, the wait felt so much longer than that. I can only imagine what it was like for the people that saw it when it came out!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 1

Man this show is great. The episode was so funny that it legit made me snort and give me tears of laughter. I would say with the first episode it blew Yuru Camp away, both series having new seasons and have amazing chill atmosphere.

Just the comedic timing from simple things like the dolls made from toothpicks and tape, to just generally Renge being Renge. Especially when she had the toad that she should already know the new girl is terrified of, and Renge starts to walk it like it can walk on its hind legs, Renge narrating exactly that. Such a treasure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Another NNB lover popping in. So happy to have this show back. Looking forward to seeing the woman who runs the candy store again. And course, already enjoying the World's Laziest Teacher!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another NNB lover popping in. So happy to have this show back. Looking forward to seeing the woman who runs the candy store again. And course, already enjoying the World's Laziest Teacher!

I would have loved to have Kazuho as a teacher!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15