• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Build Fighters TV (both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Gundam Build Fighters (TV) & Gundam Build Fighters Try (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, science fiction, slice of life, tournament
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: Sei Iori is a Gunpla builder whose family runs a hobby shop in a small town. He aspires to be a Gunpla Battle champion like his father, but despite his exceptional building skills, he lacks the combat abilities to compete with other contestants. Then one day, he meets a mysterious boy named Reiji, who helps him improve his confidence in participating in Gunpla Battles. Together, Sei and Reiji battle their way to the 7th Gunpla Battle World Tournament.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Much better than I had thought. The style of the series might not seem what I was used to from the original Gundam series but I like this so far.

The OST was pretty decent and I like most of the characters so far. spoiler[Sei's father seems to be a pro and later on, I can even say the same to Reiji. ] Character designs are okay I guess, reminds me a little of AGE. The action also had me interested as well. Yeah, I'm impressed.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This episode was filled with fanboy giggles and I loved it.
justinadams

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
despite the fact this show is HEAVY on the advertising side and it has the standard kiddish tournament style, i actually enjoyed the first episode.i am interested to see how the series, as a whole, turns out.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty nice unless you're a jaded fan (which compromises the majority of Gundam fans). Lots of things to pick up if you know the history and lore of the metaverse. There probably won't be much dying and angsting, but then again that should have been obvious from the moment the title was revealed.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
This feels like a "card fight" series except instead of a deck it is Gundam models, and I am can be a sucker for such ludicrous blatantly hammy series.
I doubt I will add this to my "must see" list, but it will be something to marathon run for an amusing time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
I guess the best way to approach this series is that it's a show about Gundam, and not a Gundam show. It'd be great for Gundam and gunpla fan masturbation if it weren't aimed at 8 year olds.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess the best way to approach this series is that it's a show about Gundam, and not a Gundam show. It'd be great for Gundam and gunpla fan masturbation if it weren't aimed at 8 year olds.

A Gundam series, that is made for kids, huh? Let me see when Gundam first became something for kids. Was it with AGE in 2011? Nope, I believe it was before that. How about with Gundam SEED? Nope, still going back. G Gundam? I mean, that show was very kiddy, but not quite. Was it with First Gundam? Yes, yes it was with first Gundam. A Gundam for kids shocks you? A Gundam series for adults(primarily) would shock me, since there are none and there probably never will be, since kids are the primary target audience, have been since 1979 and probably will be when the franchise gets stale and dull.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Unless children were just much more able to deal with and comprehend more serious concepts 30 years ago, I don't think 0079 was intended for primarily for 8 year olds. If both were, then kids today are seen as quite stupid. There's a complete difference in tone and direction of this and 0079, this is just any other Yugioh or Pokemon, but with no stronger story or characters to back up the toy advertising. Then getting into Zeta where things turn more bleak, that certainly wouldn't be produced for 8 year olds of today. I guess we'll qualify the older series by saying they were aimed at 14-15 year olds instead.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Japanese kid show standards are a lot different than American ones. Man, there's all kinds of messed up stuff in Kamen Rider...

Anyways, so what if it's a kid's show? Kid shows are some of the best entertaiment you can find. After decades of serious business war dramas, isn't it okay to have one series that is about fighting model kits?

I mean, I know people have this fear of being looked down upon for watching cartoons so they insist that only shows that they can tout as mature and sophisticated or whatever are acceptable. But are they so out of touch with their inner child that they can't appreciate a show that has the main character get starry eyed talking about the Wing Gundam?

Me when I was 12. ^
Mugley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless children were just much more able to deal with and comprehend more serious concepts 30 years ago, I don't think 0079 was intended for primarily for 8 year olds. If both were, then kids today are seen as quite stupid. There's a complete difference in tone and direction of this and 0079, this is just any other Yugioh or Pokemon, but with no stronger story or characters to back up the toy advertising. Then getting into Zeta where things turn more bleak, that certainly wouldn't be produced for 8 year olds of today. I guess we'll qualify the older series by saying they were aimed at 14-15 year olds instead.

There's nothing in 0079 or Zeta that isn't also in the various Yu-Gi-Oh, Kamen Rider, or Super Sentai series Smile Japanese kid shows just have much looser standards than American ones which are way more uptight about things like violence and sex.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Based on my rough recollection of the afterword to the English translated Gundam novels, 0079 was the result of a happy convergence of two things: 1) Tomino's interest in telling an SF war story, and 2) toy company sponsors' lack of interest in what he did with the show as long as he showed robots fighting in every episode. The series was nearly cancelled in spite of good ratings because the ratings were coming from the "wrong" demographic: high school and college students, who weren't buying the toys which were made for small children. What saved Gundam was the detailed model kits that came out later during its run. Those took off just in time to keep the show going and sold like hotcakes. The model kits have been an integral part of the franchise ever since.

So while Gundam was originally intended for children, it was complicated, they weren't terribly interested, and it was discovered by a somewhat older audience instead.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
You also omitted mentioning the three movie compilations, which certainly removed the "toy of the week" aspect in favor of a streamlined and coherent war drama, and that's where Gundam's popularity spiked initially, much like Yamatos.

Mugley wrote:
There's nothing in 0079 or Zeta that isn't also in the various Yu-Gi-Oh, Kamen Rider, or Super Sentai series Smile Japanese kid shows just have much looser standards than American ones which are way more uptight about things like violence and sex.

I don't remember colony gassing or annihilating whole continents in Yugioh or Duel Masters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't remember colony gassing or annihilating whole continents in Yugioh or Duel Masters.

Yugioh had plenty of murdering, though.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

YGO had a lot of war in it actually and actually the events currently in the current series are spoiler[a prince named Vector's global genocide eventually his genocide gets so deluded he starts murdering his own people fearing they might have been tainted and he eventually kills himself in the end when he's the only one in his kingdom left and he's too insaned to do anything else. Dude was pretty messed up] =P The entire Varian Invasion arc is pretty messed up. Don't really see anything wrong with showing Gundam for kids given what else is consider children's anime in Japan x_x
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Ok, the thing I don't get is, what kind of idiot would take a $15-20 model kit (I'm guessing as they looked to be 1/144 HGs) and throw it into a machine where it'll almost certainly come out wrecked? I've build quite a few Gundam kits in my day, and there's not one I would chuck into that holographic meat grinder. Talk about "buy to win," the only guys who stand a chance are ones that can afford dozens of models per month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3