• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi Wraps up One-Pound Gospel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
GATSU wrote:
She might as well finish Ranma 1/2 while she's at it.

i thought she did.

She did, but it's not the ending some thought it would be.

Can someone give me a spoiler of how this series ends? I'm jsut curious and I never intend on watching/reading the whole thing just to find out. Thanks.

spoiler[as someone said eariliar. Takahashi used an end where people can imagine what happens to the characters. Ranma's curse doesn't go away, and JUnsenkyo gets all messed up and ruined. ]
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ataru: It's not like the UY anime's much different from the manga, except for it being funnier. Makes me wish Oshii would have directed Ranma, so it didn't get old, but Takahashi probably didn't like him upstaging her.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Makes me wish Oshii would have directed Ranma, so it didn't get old, but Takahashi probably didn't like him upstaging her.

Laughing

Uhh.. Oshii quit, Takahashi didn't boot him. He also quit around the episode one hundred mark (of one hundred and ninety-five episodes), which is before the series would really start to 'get old.'

And keep in mind that she doesn't choose the directors for her anime series. If Oshii had wanted to direct the Ranma 1/2, they would have let him. And the Ranma 1/2 anime sucked because of all the bad fillers and alterations, not because of the source material. Same with the Inuyasha anime.

Honestly, I've never been impressed with Oshii's work anyway. Outside of his direction of Urusei Yatsura, I've never enjoyed a thing he's done. So in my opinion it's Takahashi's brilliance in the source material there that allowed him to shine there, certainly not the other way around.

Anyway, I care about One Pound Gospel, and I'm sure more people would if it weren't out of print in the states and had gotten a reprint when Viz reprinted Mermaid Saga and Maison Ikkoku. And keep in mind that Takahashi has been writing this series off on and on since it started. The most recent chapters were 2001 and she published others in 1998 and 1996, so it's not as vintage as people seem to be claiming.

And yes, the woman can write endings. Her zany comedic series (that being Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura) have decidedly inconclusive endings, but that's just the tone of the series. It's not like Ranma and Akane are actually going to get married. They're sixteen. Same with Lum and Ataru.

Go read Maison Ikkoku, or some of her short stories. I'm not worried for InuYasha. It's a more serious work, so I'm sure it will have a fulfilling ending.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Quote:
I'll still read it, but if it sucks, bleh. Takahashi is good with her stories, she just SUCKS with endings

You've obviously never read Maison Ikkoku. Wink

Nope, never read Maison Ikkoku. Don't really plan to, either. The plot summery didn't interest me enough. However, I have read all of Ranma, up to current of Inuyasha, aswell as having read all of One-Poud Gospel that Takahashi has released. I've also dabbled a bit into Urusei Yatsura.

So, while it seems your point is to point out that I have not read Maison Ikkoku, my point is that I believe I have read enough of Takahashi's stuff to be able to give an accurate opinion of her style.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
I liked Maison Ikkoku until Viz re-released the manga with the Japanese-only chapters. Godai came off more like a jerk like Ataru[I mean I like Ataru in comedic terms, but I sure as hell wouldn't relate to him in a drama.] around Kentaro, and I lost respect for him. And Kyoko came off a little annoying when she was playing hard-to-get in that ice-skating chapter. Plus about halfway through the series, it stops being funny, and starts being depressing. Redundant characters-a sign of things to come in Ranma-like Nikaido don't help, either.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Dranxis wrote:
Quote:
I'll still read it, but if it sucks, bleh. Takahashi is good with her stories, she just SUCKS with endings

You've obviously never read Maison Ikkoku. Wink

Nope, never read Maison Ikkoku. Don't really plan to, either. The plot summery didn't interest me enough. However, I have read all of Ranma, up to current of Inuyasha, aswell as having read all of One-Poud Gospel that Takahashi has released. I've also dabbled a bit into Urusei Yatsura.

So, while it seems your point is to point out that I have not read Maison Ikkoku, my point is that I believe I have read enough of Takahashi's stuff to be able to give an accurate opinion of her style.

What he said was that you have not read Maison Ikkoku, but his point was presumably that, as it happens, your opinion is inaccurate due to selective data.

I tend towards agreeing with you, though... while Takahashi may be capable of writing satisfying endings (i.e. Maison Ikkoku), this does seem to be more the exception than the rule. Her use of 'open' endings is obviously intentional, but the line between extremely 'open' endings and no endings at all is pretty blurry, imho... some people may like them, but I'd really prefer something where less threads were left dangling impotently. Still, it's nowhere near a fatal flaw with something as hilarious and randomly episodic as Urusei Yatsura/etc.

One-Pound Gospel doesn't fit into that category, though... I was actually just saying to someone about a week ago that Takahashi should create one more volume to finish the series off Smile. Always a pity to leave a story hanging, and anyway, not everyone reads only what's been recently released. Future generations may care Wink.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

I tend towards agreeing with you, though... while Takahashi may be capable of writing satisfying endings (i.e. Maison Ikkoku), this does seem to be more the exception than the rule.

How is it more the exception than the rule? The only conclusion I think that can be pulled from an assesment of her endings is that when it comes to zany comedies, she tends to like open endings. This is the case in her short stories as well.

However, regarding her short stories and manga that are not total crack- they consistently have conclusive endings. Unfortunately fans tend to just draw their conclusions from Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Maison Ikkoku- thus citing Maison as the exception. This is understandable, but it creates an inaccurate perception.

Two out of her four MAJOR series have fallen into that 'crack comedy' category. Of the two that do not, one is still going. If InuYasha indeed has an open ending along those lines, despite being a drama and One Pound Gospel has one despite being not that zany- I could believe MI is the exception as far as multi-volume manga by her. But I highly doubt that they will, especially InuYasha. It's just too intense.

To say that MI is the exception is just not true because it fails to take into account the many many short stories she's written with highly conclusive endings. Firetripper, Laughing Target, most of the stories in the Rumiko Takahashi anthology anime, etc. all feature conclusive endings.

Now once she finishes One Pound Gospel, here's hoping she picks up Mermaid Saga again as the series she works on 'on the side.' *crosses fingers*
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ataru: It's not like the UY anime's much different from the manga, except for it being funnier. Makes me wish Oshii would have directed Ranma, so it didn't get old, but Takahashi probably didn't like him upstaging her.
True, but I'm still bitter. *L* I think he was pretty tried after UY, but it would have saved the last half of Ranima. As for MI, atleast it WAY much better then most slice of life romance manga that hit the States in the last couple of years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Ataru:
Quote:
As for MI, atleast it WAY much better then most slice of life romance manga that hit the States in the last couple of years.

Definitely. The last manga I read which grabbed me as much as MI initially did was Mars. It's just that I got tired of her after Ranma, while Inu Yasha just made me forget why I liked her in the first place. The latter series is actually better than the former, but it's nothing really new, either.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's just that I got tired of her after Ranma, while Inu Yasha just made me forget why I liked her in the first place.
If she doesn't retire after Inuyasha, I REALLY hope her next series pulls her out of the slump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DanielJr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
One-Pound Gospel doesn't fit into that category, though... I was actually just saying to someone about a week ago that Takahashi should create one more volume to finish the series off Smile. Always a pity to leave a story hanging, and anyway, not everyone reads only what's been recently released. Future generations may care Wink.

Exactly what I was going to say. Though I haven't read 1lb Gospel, I can testify that new Takahashi fans will definitely care. I'm just hoping this manga gets a full anime adaptation. It would very sweet if they could adapt another Takahashi anime with a full ending like Maison Ikkoku. (My favorite of her works.)

How long is the 1lb Gospel manga anyway?
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
DanielJr wrote:
It would very sweet if they could adapt another Takahashi anime with a full ending like Maison Ikkoku. (My favorite of her works.)

While were at that, can we get the ending to Ranma 1/2 and Yatsura animated as well? That and animate the rest of Inuyasha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2