• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV to Release Utawarerumono

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone (yet) wanted them to keep the original name, just to go with an actual translation. Or at least come up with something that didn't sound so generic and lame.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Venire wrote:
The english name is about the worst possibility you could come up with. It doesn't even have any relevance to the show itself. I won't support product-raping in any way, so with this name I'll leave Utawarerumono in the shelf, which is a shame considering how good it is.

aka, I like my free anime and will look for any reason to tell myself it is alright to not support the industry. God some people fail miserably.

As for the name, I don't mind it one bit, what I would have been pissed off about is if they had left it the same. Utawarerumono, say what? It absolutely amazes me how many people get their panties in a knot over name changes, it's pretty ridiculous is you think about it. You people seem to care more about the name than the fact that it has been licensed, will be released with dual audio, subbed, uncut and for a reasonable price.

The hole in your logic is assuming people who don't DL anime don't complain about this kinda stuff. I have no problem with name changes by and large, but this is almost a sign of laziness, or more likely, a planned strategy to generate outrage and thus, buzz about the show. ADV's admitted to using the latter tactic in the past. It's just kinda tiring.
fmarxnge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm glad they aren't using the Japanese title (and I figured whoever got it wouldn't) as it is extremely difficult to pronounce.

How is it hard to pronounce "Oot uh wah ray roo mone o"

This is so basic and I find it ironic that your username is Japanese. Do you need help pronouncing that as well? Laughing
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
fmarxnge wrote:

I draw the line at 5 syllables myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
fmarxnge wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm glad they aren't using the Japanese title (and I figured whoever got it wouldn't) as it is extremely difficult to pronounce.

This is so basic and I find it ironic that your username is Japanese. Do you need help pronouncing that as well? Laughing

For some reason, Utawarerumono is just hard to do without looking at. I have no trouble with Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien or Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, but this title is just a pain for some reason.

And while people with a bit of experience in Japanese titles may not have that much difficulty (though more than most titles I think), the average fan that doesn't go on forums and/or watch fansubs is going to see the title and say "Uta-what?"

And its generally a bad thing if your potential customers can't pronounce the name of your product. It would be marketing suicide.
roanhammer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I figured the licsensor could pull a Sukisho, and shorten the title to something like "Utamono", or maybe even "Uno".

Well, maybe just the former.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually it's more along the lines of "Oo-tah-wah-reh-roo-moh-noh", with the reh and roo sounding somewhat like "leh" and "loo" (but not quite).

I agree that it's somewhat hard to pronounce; it's almost a tonguetwister.
Shii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
aka, I like my free anime and will look for any reason to tell myself it is alright to not support the industry. God some people fail miserably.
Sounds like someone's got a beam in their eye that they feel insecure about.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tongue twister is good way to describe it. And that's generally a bad thing for something you are trying to sell.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't think anyone (yet) wanted them to keep the original name, just to go with an actual translation. Or at least come up with something that didn't sound so generic and lame.

I wanted them to keep the original name. I'll admit, it took me a bit before I was able to pronounce "Utawarerumono" properly, but it's the name I've come to know and love the series by. A name is what gives someone or something identity, and Utawarerumono is defenitely not "Shadow Warrior Chronicles". I mean, who are these shadow warriors that are being chronicled?

If anything, couldn't ADV just have with gone with the literal translation of "The One Being Sung"?
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:

The hole in your logic is assuming people who don't DL anime don't complain about this kinda stuff. I have no problem with name changes by and large, but this is almost a sign of laziness, or more likely, a planned strategy to generate outrage and thus, buzz about the show. ADV's admitted to using the latter tactic in the past. It's just kinda tiring.

The hole in my logic? I am saying it is one: down right stupid to say you are not going to buy something that you like, because Venire said he thought it was good aka he has seen it fansubbed, because you don't like the name they choose for it. Two: if you aren't going to buy an anime that you haven't seen just because you don't like the name... you get my point. And I never said people that don't download anime don't complain, the second part of my comment was directed at everyone else that had posted in the forum, people which stated they have never seen the series.

Shii wrote:
Sounds like someone's got a beam in their eye that they feel insecure about.

What?

If you are saying what I think you are, that I am some kind of closet fansub watcher that doesn't buy any anime, maybe you should look at someone’s public list first. Apparently it doesn’t also piss you off when people that have already viewed a series for free find the stupidest reasons for why they shouldn’t buy it once it comes out in the US. If I misunderstood this comment, I apologize in advance.

Last edited by Jabberwock on Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
What a stupid name change... Will this cut into its Australian popularity? XP

(It's a good series. OTOH, I don't have much money and a LOT of anime I'd buy before this one...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vanMould

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Try listening to the ending theme. "Madoromi no Rinne" by Eri Kawai. The name is pronounced in the chorus. Either that or you can just take the syllables apart and ad an 'h' to the end of them, just like Frentymon said.
"Uh-tah-wah-reh-ruh-moh-noh".

As I'm swedish, I got the pronounciation right from the beginning Razz
Webki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, damn. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles"? Looks like I'm importing a certain series straight from Japan...
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:

The hole in my logic? I am saying it is one: down right stupid to say you are not going to buy something that you like, because Venire said he thought it was good aka he has seen it fansubbed, because you don't like the name they choose for it. Two: if you aren't going to buy an anime that you haven't seen just because you don't like the name... you get my point. And I never said people that don't download anime don't complain, the second part of my comment was directed at everyone else that had posted in the forum, people which stated they have never seen the series.

For your second part, it's perfectly legitimate to not buy an anime you haven't seen just because of the name, if you have nothing else to go on. Most people don't have the kind of income to buy everything, so they have to choose what they buy through whatever criteria they see fit. This isn't a promotion for those people to download, but merely saying that when money becomes involved, especially when you don't download, you gotta go by whatever you can to narrow down the titles you spend your money on. ESPECIALLY nowadays when so much comes out at once (damn was it easier back in the late 90's). I'm still buying the series, cause it's a good series. But if you actually think "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" is a legitimately good title, you have no taste, or are 12 years old. Name changes are for the best when they make it something, you know, less tacky and lame than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6