• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Game Show with Todd 'n Dave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Great episode this week, I like it when there's nothing anime to talk about you'll just go ahead and talk about something else in the same vein, that's cool.

About Duke Nukem Forever: I don't think it's Duke Nukem that has people excited, I just think people are tired of the super-serious tactical FPS's. I think people wanted something more like the original Doom. Not just a string of corridors with cut-scenes dotting it. It's a real shame it's not coming with DNF.

I though E3 was ok this year, Microsoft was BS, Nintendo was more BS, Sony was aight, they have a lot of good titles on the PS3 coming out, and a lot of the titles on the PSV looked pretty solid. The game I'm most looking forward to is SWTOR, even though it doesn't have a release date yet. I thought they sort-of just threw it in the press conference though "MASS EFFECT 3! oh and this other game by bioware, you can buy or not, we don't care." They made up for it by showing a ton of footage this year though.

I agree with Zac about ME3, I don't really care about the updates, theres not much they could possible screw up to get me to NOT buy the game.

About Anime being a sort-of side hobby: I wouldn't say anime is my favorite hobby, or the one I spend the most time on, I think i would consider all my hobbies equal. I don't spend anymore time gaming than i do watching anime, TV, movies or reading comics.
daveriley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
Regarding survival horror, there are a few good games outside of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill franchises. Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly is one of the best true survival horror games of all time, in my opinion (that's probably why it's being remade for the Wii, or maybe the Wii U now). Capcom's Haunting Ground/Demento is also an underrated gem.

Fatal Frame 2 is exactly what I was thinking when I said "some Fatal Frames." That game has about the best ending in all of videogames, let alone survival horror. The first game in the series is strong (the tape recorder moment is high on my list of video game scares), the fourth is okay. The third is pretty miserable, and plays it a little too close to Ju-On/The Grudge for my tastes.

I haven't played Hunting Ground, but I have played Clock Tower 3, and I know those are frequently compared. Clock Tower 3 is not the best game, but I wish more games would make you play someone's who's utterly helpless (q.v. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories). Sometimes it's hard to make things scary in Resident Evil (when you have a grenade launcher). Even in Silent Hill, where weapon stakes are decidedly lower, you generally have a fistful of shotgun shells at all times. It's nice, and more in keeping with the format's cinema roots, to have a game where you can do nothing but run and hide. Deadly Premonition tried it at points and, like with most things Deadly Premonition tried, it was pretty stupid. Still, the concept of having to hold your breath so the killer doesn't hear you is pretty amazing. Maybe someday someone will make a good game in that style.

But thinking of Clock Tower just makes me go further down the rabbit hole to Rule of Rose, at the time I thought it was pretty execrable, but reading wikipedia makes it sound less miserable than I remember. Time heals all wounds, I guess, which would also explain my masochistic desire to plug in Odin Sphere again, just for funsies.

And thinking about games where you're helpless makes me think of Lifeline. If you'll allow me, dear ANN readers, just let me indulge myself a little longer. Lifeline was that game for PS2 about the girl trapped on the space station that nobody liked but me. You played as some jerk trapped in a control booth and had to command Rio entirely through a headset, no buttons! What a game! I mean, sure, most of the time she interpreted 'open door' as 'use one of my extremely limited health packs' or 'shoot monster's right foot' as 'run around in circles until he tail lashes me to death', but whatever! That game was intense! And super fun! [When the voice commands actually worked] you could string together a chain of 'dodge, shoot right eye, shoot left eye, dodge, shoot center eye' you truly felt like a pro. Games that inspire that sort of emotion are rare, and should be praised, even if they're pretty terrible, as Lifeline is.

Last edited by daveriley on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Did you pay attention to Sony's conference, Zac? They specifically said that you don't have to use the touch screen for Uncharted, It's just another way of playing. Anyways, I'm not entirely sold on Wii-U. The controller looks way inconvenient, and Nintendo's online strategy sucks.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, for the record, I'm not the type of person that summons so much anger to give professionals a hard time about stuff because I didn't feel as satisfied about what I read/watched/listened to. And I got no beef against Zac personally to begin with. I like listening to the ANNCast more than either of my friends who are anime fans do. But after listening to this podcast an hour in so far (which I was excited to hear an episode dedicated to video games and E3) and then watching G4TV's Feedback podcast on E3 just 20 minutes in so far, ...the difference in attitude between the two couldn't POSSIBLY be more like night and day!

Holy... WOW! I mean, look. I'm don't want to make an elongated, raging rant or anything because I don't want to sound like I have a problem. But all I'm asking is if a few people are going to dedicated 90 minutes of their time making a podcast episode talking about video games and a major video game event as nerds, as gamers, then at least try to a sound a bit enthusiastic and engaged in what you're talking about! I'm not saying talk about how awesome everything Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft presented in their press conferences is. Believe, even though I'm not much a gamer due to income not being able to keep up with the latest games and hardware lately, I can understand how lackluster the press conferences were this time around. I'm all for giving criticism. But again, as nerds who are definitely more of gamers than I am, just try to care about what you talk about like you imply you would and sound a less like gaming these days is utterly stupid and a waste of time.

Anyway, since I only have a Wii right now, I was mostly interested in Nintendo's press conference and I was talking to my friend about the Wii-U thing the other day. My friend was trying to make it sound like Nintendo is being clever and has a grand master plan and explaining the bird in the garden and Nintendo's strategy by not giving a console for the new controller in order for the audience to use their imagination. And honestly I feel that while I do appreciate Nintendo wanting to be innovative with their gaming, I just want to see more iconic games for the Wii to look foward to other than Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword while I still have time to dedicate time for my Wii and not have to be even further behind the times. Like for crying out loud, please give me a new Star Fox Wii game to want to play at least before you decie to abandon the Wii console!
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering how anime and gaming are two hobbies that have a pretty large participation overlap, I like hearing which games anime fans are playing. I tend to consider myself more an anime fan than a game fan, but I do cycle between them (and other hobbies). Sometimes you feel like seeing a tightly-controlled story, and some times you just want the simple pleasure of a character jumping every time you press a button.

On "the move to phones over handhelds for portable gaming": It's true, that's the way people are going. But do these people have any taste? These are the people who are satisfied with app games because they don't care about games enough to want anything better. There is a fundamental difference between most phone games and a decent portable or console game. Phone games are, for the most part, made to be played to kill 5-10 minutes. They're not meant to be experiences that are engaging in the long term. A good portable system or console game, though, can offer a rich, fulfilling experience, and I'd rather pay $40 for one really good portable game than buy 40 99-cent apps that collectively get played for 3 hours and then never enter my thoughts again (except when I need to clear space for something else). I think the sad thing is that smartphones have created a huge market segment of gamers who don't care about or want meaningful game experiences. They want $1-3 games, and anything of a level of quality that would demand more money is largely ignored (save for a few breakout hits like Infinity Blade, which are the exception and not the rule).

Nintendo said back at GDC that smartphone gaming is devaluing gaming, and I agreed with them. The way things are going is detrimental to the future of games that aren't the 'nutritional' equivalent of a candy bar.

As far as the "B Games" discussion, that's one of the most depressing things about the industry right now - that it's either AAA titles (often pumped full of DLC) or hoping for an indie hit. The "single-A" games and B-games that have tended to comprise the bulk of my gaming library in the past have fallen on really tough times, and those are the companies that are hurting the most. A lot of Japanese development falls into that sphere, not because they're not making some quality stuff, but because many of these studios just don't have the deep pockets of the big NA publishers. The way this current console generation was rushed into did a lot of damage because of escalating development costs, and I'm always worried that once the storm has abated, a lot of the developers who made games I liked in the past won't have ridden that storm out safely.

My main hope right now is in the fact that from here on out, the "graphics battle" is one of diminishing returns, so hopefully there'll be more widespread adoption of middleware in development (and in response, graphic engines and tools will become more diverse) to bring down costs. I mean, lots of games still come out at 720p. No need for a race to be bigger and better when we're not using everything we've already got. If it gets cheaper and more manageable to make nice-looking games, then the playing field opens up and we get more interesting games - expansion, instead of the consolidation that's happening now.

Also, apropos of nothing, my favorites on display at E3 were: Asura's Wrath, El Shaddai, Soul Calibur V, Zelda: Skyward Sword (yeah, yeah, I still like Zelda games), Bioshock Infinite, and of course anything Vanillaware is working on, mainly for their artistic stylings. There's also the Atlus stuff like Catherine and Cursed Crusade I'm interested in, but I need to learn more about those before I throw in.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Gran Turismo is still Sony's largest franchise. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (the demo) sold more than 3 million, and in weeks GT5 pushed over 5 million units. It'll likely crawl to 8-10 million by the end of the generation. Which is about what GT4 sold, but obviously far from the peak of GT3's 14 million.

Forza's entire franchise sales aren't even 14 million.

As for Summer Wars, it's a nice movie and all, but it's ruined if you've ever seen that Digimon movie.
progSHELL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
At 41:28, I heard something wonderful. Now, I will for ever and always picture Zac as "Hey Now" Hank Kingsley.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I gave up on LA Noire during the arson cases. I'm just not sure why you would put what feels like the biggest case in the middle of the game and then knock you back to a bunch of small time stuff. But really, the writing in that game is just bad overall.

The PSP: Kinda Okay!

I thought Muramasa was passable. Looks fantastic. A bit on the simple side and not enough boss fights though. The in between gameplay was fairly bland and repetitive. I've been halfheartedly meaning to play Odin Sphere.

I remain disappointed by ME2. It strips out a lot of the bad stuff from ME1 but it doesn't actually replace it with anything. Some of the individual stories are great but there's virtually no central plot. I was also really bothered by the disconnect between the first game and this one. The need to cover multiple possible choices made in the first game forced them to wipe the slate in a way that felt unnatural and jarring. I'm afraid that this will probably be the case with ME3 too which is very worrying. I just don't think I want to play that game if they don't being back any of the squad members from ME2.

The wolf parts were the one weakness in TP. Otherwise I think it might be the second best of the 3D Zelda games.

I don't really buy the "Zelda is repetitive" complaint. I mean, the 3D ones are so different from the old 2D ones. So really, they're only up to four of the current style of games. That puts it right on par with pretty much any other popular game franchise in terms of repetitiveness. Plus, at least they introduce a pretty significant new twist into each new game.

Luigi's Mansion is short. True. I'm not sure how that makes it bad.

I'm not sure why I don't like Mario Galaxy. I just don't seem to enjoy em as much as I enjoyed Mario 64 or even Sunshine.

Yeah, I'd peg it at roughly 5 worth watching things per year. That sounds about right on average the last few years.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Back to watching the whole podcast.

Zac owns a Kinect? Now I am imagining Zac at home playing with a baby tiger.

Xenogears was a massive disappointment considering that it was hyped up as the next Final Fantasy and find a story where you got a sci-fi story that was insanely slow, and had Allen one of the blandest major characters ever. The guy needs to learn how to condense his games into something more along the lines of Golden Sun which showed how to split it's games plot.

King of Fighter was never that popular, that's why it never revived.

Summer Wars had a horrible ending. First it starts with the heroine and the main villain playing a card game that has no real tension to it, then it goes to them trying to open the door to defeat the villain which goes on too long. The final insult was when the ending tries to claim that Summer Wars was a love story even though the two leads stopped interacting with each other in a meaningful way 20 minutes in. Natsuki interacted mostly with the jerk from America, and Kenji interacted with the video game guy.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Xenogears was a massive disappointment considering that it was hyped up as the next Final Fantasy and find a story where you got a sci-fi story that was insanely slow, and had Allen one of the blandest major characters ever. The guy needs to learn how to condense his games into something more along the lines of Golden Sun which showed how to split it's games plot.

It wasn't that bad of game. Sure it has its problems but it is one of the better RPG's i've played.

Charred Knight wrote:

Summer Wars had a horrible ending. First it starts with the heroine and the main villain playing a card game that has no real tension to it, then it goes to them trying to open the door to defeat the villain which goes on too long. The final insult was when the ending tries to claim that Summer Wars was a love story even though the two leads stopped interacting with each other in a meaningful way 20 minutes in. Natsuki interacted mostly with the jerk from America, and Kenji interacted with the video game guy.

So the fact that spoiler[if they lose that part from the satellite that is going to come crashing down on them] is not tension enough for you. There was always a love story aspect to the movie it just wasn't always the main part of the movie. I though it ended fine to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

So the fact that spoiler[if they lose that part from the satellite that is going to come crashing down on them] is not tension enough for you. There was always a love story aspect to the movie it just wasn't always the main part of the movie. I though it ended fine to me.

It was the fact that Koi-koi simply isn't an exciting card game to watch, what ended up happening is that Natsuki just yelled "Koi-koi" a lot. When she lost, they re-created the whole "everyone in the world unites to help" which came off as kind of stupid because of how the movie portrayed America compared to Japan.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Odin Sphere was good. You just don't get it.

I'm most likely still getting a Vita just cause I really want to play Monster Hunter with my friends.

Also along with piracy restrictions bringing games over is pretty much a fraction of the stupid anime seems to have to wade through. The fact that stuff's available as soon as its original release, or even simultaneous releases, pretty much built their audience to this point.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling I'm one of very few who are completely and totally stoked for El Shaddai. I'm actually considering buying an Xbox for this.

Guess that's just the Bible history fan in me, though.

The Wii U was very meh for me. A lot of E3 was Meh for me. I recorded all 3 days from G4, but I ended up fast-forwarding through a lot of it. If the Wii U can provide me with a good Pokemon or Kingdom Hearts gaming experience, then I'll consider buying one. Until then, I'll stick with what I have now.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have got to throw in on Mass Effect.
Male Shepherd was good, but female Shepherd was a lot better.
I was a little jarred with the transition from 1 to 2, but overall 2 is a much better game.
Sorry to say the same did not hold for me in regards to Dragon Age II. I was shoehorned into a story that did not fit my notions of the universe. It blew.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Holy... WOW! I mean, look. I'm don't want to make an elongated, raging rant or anything because I don't want to sound like I have a problem. But all I'm asking is if a few people are going to dedicated 90 minutes of their time making a podcast episode talking about video games and a major video game event as nerds, as gamers, then at least try to a sound a bit enthusiastic and engaged in what you're talking about!

Ok, you just managed to nail my problem with this episode of the podcast! I was trying to figure out how to express how I thought this was one of the weakest episode of ANNCast so far but also express that it isn't because the topic was gaming. The problem is just how depressing everyone managed to sound Confused I listen to Fast Karate because someone listed it as a worthy podcast to check out on ANNCast (it's been a while ago now), so I realize Dave is kind of laid back in general and I don't think he was really un-interested during this podcast verse it just being who he is. The problem I had was Dave is usually a bit more excited than this and Zac and Todd weren't helping out at all, so all three of them came off like they'd been taking allergy medication that made them drowsy Rolling Eyes Laughing . I don't mind discussions about gaming at all (most Anime podcasts do it) but when you manage to make video gaming sound less interesting than say Olympic Curling, you've really missed the mark with the topic Confused [if this last part seems seems a out of left field, I had something else written here but the board crashed and after some thought I decided to tone it down and not mentioned a specific podcast and inserted the Olympic Curling stuff instead (similar point but less likely (hopefully) to derail the discussion)]

FWIW, I'm a anime fan who dabbles in gaming and I wouldn't mind a decent podcast on the subject every now and then. I'd just like to see one (whether or not it's here or someplace else) that isn't always ragging on all the newer game systems "just because" (or coming off like that's all they do) and would like to hear more about the games available and why those talking about them find them interesting for their fellow anime fans to check out [I own a Wii, PS3 w/ Move, PSP, DSl and DS3D and can't afford a Xbox w/ Kinect right now but am not sure it would matter if I could because I'd probably have the same issue I had with my Move (I keep hitting the ceiling fan and that's going to be a problem if it's turned on Rolling Eyes )] I just realized that's another thing this podcast didn't do a good job of doing - letting us know what each of them liked and why. I kind of knew what Dave liked because he does do that on his own show but I'm a blanking on, or if, Todd ever said what he liked and all I remember about Zac was his going on about what he didn't like and waxing nostalgic for his younger gaming days (which is cute and depressing in the same breath). I just feel that this episode could have been a lot better, though the state of mind of the panelists might not have allowed for that to happen Sad .

PS: My list of what I own is the order I bought the systems in, not what's currently getting played on the most Wink .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3