• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL (OAV + TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: FLCL (OAV)
Season 02: FLCL Progressive (TV)
Season 03: FLCL Alternative (TV)
Season 04 (Prequel): FLCL: Grunge (TV)
Season 05 (Prequel): FLCL: Shoegaze (TV)

Source: Original (created by Kazuya Tsurumaki)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: Gainax
Season 02: Production I.G.
Season 03: Production I.G.
Season 04: MontBlanc Pictures
Season 05: Production I.G., Nut

Genres: action, comedy, drama, psychological, science fiction

Themes: aliens, coming-of-age, mecha, parody

Plot Summary:

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 26, 2000 (Wednesday)
Available on: YouTube

Season 02: June 2, 2018 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 03: September 8, 2018 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 04: September 9, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Adult Swim

Season 05: September 30, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Adult Swim

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 6 episodes
Season 02: 6 episodes
Season 03: 6 episodes
Season 04: 3 episodes
Season 05: 3 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

The only reason I saw this anime is because they were having a anime showcase 2 days ago on AS. And I have to admit this is the weirdest/funniest anime I have ever seen. But there were things that confused me and I hope fans of the anime will explained these things to me:

1. Do this robot/alien actually like this grade school kid.

2. What makes this kid such a babe magnet,first he has a high school girlfriend and now he has a alien/ robot that like him.

3. This anime was only a mirco anime.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
First what do you mean alien/robot, Haruko is not a robot. The high school girl (mamimi) liked Naota's older brother thats why she was always spending time with him and why she gave him the nickname, she missed his older brother who went to America. The anime is an OAV, which usally have only a few episodes sometimes 4 or 6 or 8.

Edit: if you meant the robot that came out of his head, though it never says, I wouldnt say that its a girl. It follows him around because the power of atomusk happens to be in him (actually I think atomusk hisself is in it.)

Last edited by omar235 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
The only reason I saw this anime is because they were having a anime showcase 2 days ago on AS. And I have to admit this is the weirdest/funniest anime I have ever seen.

Perhaps, but it's certainly, in my opinion, not the weirdest. In fact, under the twisted jurisdiction of my mind I'd like to say it actually makes a wonderful sense after a while.

For an on-TV anime series that is actually weirder, much weirder, watch bobobo-bobobobo-bobobo. You can't get weirder than non sequitur.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
1. Do this robot/alien actually like this grade school kid.

She's not a robot. And it's hard to answer such questions definitively in anime. My interpretation is no, she's just manipulating him.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
2.What makes this kid such a babe magnet,first he has a high school girlfriend and now he has a alien/ robot that like him.

Again, she's not a robot. And that high school girlfriend is actually his brother's girlfriend (or at least, she view herself as such). Mamimi's a nice girl with serious mental problems, she basically call Naota by the nickname she used to give to his elder brother. A replacement, possibly.

Calling him a babe magnet in the harem tradition isn't exactly correct.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
3.This anime was only a mirco anime.

Question It's an OVA. It's actually longer than many OVAs. School Rumble OVA is only 2 episodes long, for example.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a wierd anime for a long time, until I got into the REALLY wierd ones. Check out Cat Soup, then try and call this the "wierdest ever", I dare you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
FLCL may be confusing but its not really a weird anime per se, it is a bit random, but like the shows suggested above; its nothing compared to them.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this anime is an OVA. It was only 6 episodes long.

First off, Haruko was an alien who was spoiler[just using Naota to get the strong robot thing (the red one that wore the cape I think, it's been a long time since I've seen it and I fell asleep on Saturday) out of his head. Unfortunately, it ran away or something so she was going to go on a journey around the galaxy to find it (again, it's been a while, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).]

Second, Mamimi was his older brother's old girlfriend, who had a serious mental attachment to his older brother. She has trouble dealing with his departure, so she uses Naota as his replacement. She even gave him Naota's older brother's old nickname "Ta-kun". spoiler[The fact of the matter is that Mamimi didn't really like Naota, which is what you find when he tries to kiss her, and take her out to lunch ad such (memory's shaky, please refresh if it isn't accurate).] This all led me to take away a life lesson of "not to live in other people's shadows". I hope it helps you out!
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The didn't run off it stayed at naota's house, but everything else is accurate.
papa john

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
these are questions everyone would love to know the answear too, but nobody will ever know for shur but heres my opinion.

queston 1,

id have to say she does like him.. even if its only for his abilty to open a "n.o." field or whatever its called to start with. he does do allot of growing up in ways and he does sorta "become a man" by the end of the short series. but he still is to young. a popular theme in some anime is "waiting" where one character isnt of the acceptable age and so the other waits for them to become of age. kinda romantic in a way eh?

question 2,

part one: ah what can i say it is anime.

part two: that wasnt his girlfriend, it was his brothers girlfriend, but she's vary confusing at times... and she kinda plays with him.. she seems to treat him more like a "friend with benifits" then anything.. Razz

question 3, i think its only 6 or 7 episodes long

check out magical shopping arcade abenobashi its weird in the same way. normaly if someoene likes flcl they like abenobashi. I've only found one or 2 people that didn't..
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
bobobo-bobobobo-bobobo is weird shit , you can't get around that. It's defently weirder than FLCL

One of the things I really like in FLCL is the extended metaphore between spicy/sour/hot foods and Haruko, which is pointed out by the inspecter guy in episode 4 (for those who are slow, it's that even though Naota says he hates her, he's "addicted" to her.) Like NGE, also a gainax work, it has several hidden messages, litterary elements, and focuses on emotional things rather than the pure comedy the show presents.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Weird is not the word for this anime. I'd say it is more like "Hideous."

I saw this anime a year ago, based on everyone's interpretations it seems as if I had understood everything, and my view is still quite reasonable. This anime is absolutely repulsive. I can never ever see it again. Also, the crazy manipulating girl that swings a guitar around like a bat, does not make me laugh one bit. This anime is not funny one bit. I say you stay away from it. The definition of hideous is exceptionally reasonable for this anime. Maybe perfect?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yay! My 400th post! I remember it like it was only yesterday when I joined ANN. Time flies when you're having fun talking with people who share a passion that you do.

Either way, on with my post:

Darc_knight wrote:
Also, the crazy manipulating girl that swings a guitar around like a bat, does not make me laugh one bit.

Honestly, I think the first time that Haruko hits Naota is the funniest. In English she screams "Lunch TIME!!" which was pretty funny when I watched it in English on Saturday night. But in the Japanese version I watched, she screams out "Itadakimasu!!!" which is even funnier because it's more of a formal saying (like saying grace before a meal) and she hits him on the head. To not find that funny is hideous itself. The sheer randomness of the situation made me laugh out loud for several minutes.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I never laughed out loud while watching it but I do remember nights in my room while I sat the chuckling for a good 5 minutes. Ahh just think about makes me smile Smile
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Honestly, I think the first time that Haruko hits Naota is the funniest. In English she screams "Lunch TIME!!" which was pretty funny when I watched it in English on Saturday night. But in the Japanese version I watched, she screams out "Itadakimasu!!!" which is even funnier because it's more of a formal saying (like saying grace before a meal) and she hits him on the head. To not find that funny is hideous itself. The sheer randomness of the situation made me laugh out loud for several minutes.

she says lunch time? I thought it was launch time O.o

the more you know; that just makes it funnier.
Landau_TST

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
I'm just about to watch FLCL. I heard its VERY random haha

If you like just as much randomness, Excel Sagas good for that too Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Anime Wench

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that I think FLCL is the strangest Anime I have ever watched. I think it is very confusing and is just a little too far fetched for me. I don't care for the way Haruko goes around smacking people in the head with her guitar. I watched it when it was on Adult Swim a year or so ago. I didn't try to watch it again when it was on recently because that's too late in the night for me to have to tax my brain to try to keep things straight Smile The one bright spot about this Anime for me, though, is that Haruko is played by one of my favorite female VA's, Kari Wahlgren.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4