Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
theknight



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I just got a popup on the frontpage the url is


http://ar.voicefive.com/​bmx3/​projects/​p43116640/​invite/​invite-​redirect.​htm?​&​recruitFrequency=​1&​pid=​p43116640&​prad=​4004&​ar_c=​1&​methodology=​3&​inv=​inv_300x250&​grp=​2&​location=​http:​/​/​4nn.​cx/​104/​8469.​816.​en-​US.​aframe?​http:​/​/​www.​animenewsnetwork.​com/​sponsor/​click.​php/​8469/​816/​1256859808/​943244/​1/​12511878&​referrer=​&​path=​http:​/​/​ar.​voicefive.​com/​bmx3/​&​branding=​undefined&​version=​3.​0&​site=​501&​title=​&​delay=​0&​dom=​1&​site=​501&​1256859819764
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8564
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
That's not supposed to happen!

If it happens again, can you tell us what the "ads by" line at the bottom of the page says ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Vastin



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Hey there, I just subscribed this evening and for the first time started seeing video ads for adult toys while watching anime that is otherwise perfectly family friendly.

I know it isn't technically invasive, but I have kids just old enough to wonder what that stuff might be, so I'd really rather they didn't show up, okay, thanks?

I saw a section in the profile stating that I had no advertisers blocked, but 1) couldn't find the control to actually block any & 2) trying to block adult advertisers one at a time is likely to be a losing battle.

Is there some check box somewhere to keep the adds here kid friendly at least?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 3271
Location: Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Vastin wrote:
I saw a section in the profile stating that I had no advertisers blocked, but 1) couldn't find the control to actually block any & 2) trying to block adult advertisers one at a time is likely to be a losing battle.

Below each ad there's a small link to "block ads from [this advertiser]". That doesn't include video ads (we'd have to charge more than $20 per year for that). As for the adult ads, I'm really surprised about that, and I think Chris and Justin will be too. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vastin



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Vastin wrote:
I saw a section in the profile stating that I had no advertisers blocked, but 1) couldn't find the control to actually block any & 2) trying to block adult advertisers one at a time is likely to be a losing battle.

Below each ad there's a small link to "block ads from [this advertiser]". That doesn't include video ads (we'd have to charge more than $20 per year for that). As for the adult ads, I'm really surprised about that, and I think Chris and Justin will be too. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen Shocked


Yeah, definitely adult in nature. If I see another I'll make note of the vendor and let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8564
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Someone else brought this up via e-mail. We think we've blocked all the adult video ads now, but if you see anymore, let us know.

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12982
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
I just saw this now.



"Ads by Robert's Anime Corner Store & FUNimation Entertainment" is what it says at the bottom of the page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Vastin



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Someone else brought this up via e-mail. We think we've blocked all the adult video ads now, but if you see anymore, let us know.

-t


Yeah, I just ran into another one this evening. When I went into the menu for Heroic Age(s) at address:

animenewsnetwork.com/video/5103/#play-2

Before anything got rolling, a video ad grabbed the main view AND shut down the menu on the right. The add was for something unremarkable. After it ended however, a voice over ad for adult toys ran while the selection menu was still inaccessible.

I don't know if it was a separate ad or if it was hidden inside the first as a form of trojan. Trying to find it again, as I didn't make note of the original ad. <sigh>

I have seen several adds that grab the right hand side of the screen and cover it with something - is that normal?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vastin



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
One Stop Sales LLC

This is the vendor that's posting the adult toy video ads. Just saw a full one today, it also grabs the menu section of the screen with a cover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bayoab



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 830

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't narrow down the source of this, but I just got hit with a drive-by PDF exploit attempt. "Ads by Gorilla Nation" on the bottom of the screen and something just attempted loading a PDF with the (randomized) title "60431C94d01.pdf".

Edit: Found source:
statbstat.com/news/pdffile.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6710
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
I'm having a problem with the Funimation video ads. While I'm reading an article and there's a Funi Video Ad in the right side column that has finished playing, I can't click anything. I can't click links in the article, I can't click the ANN tabs at the top, I can't disable the adds, nothing. The only way I can do something without closing my Opera tab is right click what I want to see and open it in a new tab. And it's only when the add is done playing; I can still click links while the add is playing. It's also just the video adds- I have no problem with Funimation banner adds and I don't want to block them completely because I actually do like reading them. This started a couple days ago, but I couldn't figure out was wrong until just now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8564
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm having a problem with the Funimation video ads. While I'm reading an article and there's a Funi Video Ad in the right side column that has finished playing, I can't click anything. I can't click links in the article, I can't click the ANN tabs at the top, I can't disable the adds, nothing. The only way I can do something without closing my Opera tab is right click what I want to see and open it in a new tab. And it's only when the add is done playing; I can still click links while the add is playing. It's also just the video adds- I have no problem with Funimation banner adds and I don't want to block them completely because I actually do like reading them. This started a couple days ago, but I couldn't figure out was wrong until just now.


Can you tell me

1) Does this happen with all Funimation video ads, or just one in particular
2) What Operating system are you on ?
3) What version of Opera are you using ?
4) What version of Flash are you using ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6710
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
1) I don't know if it's every ad (I don't know how many you have), but once I noticed what was happening, the Strike Witches and Soul Eater part 2 ads were the ones I saw.

2) Windows Vista

3) Opera 10.51

4) According to the Flash Test on Adobe's site, I have 10,0,32,18. I don't know if that's right or not, though.

UPDATE:
It just happened again at 7:45pm EST (same browser and same computer) when I tried to go through the Spring Preview and it was a Negima!? add this time. It also wouldn't let me click while it was playing unlike the others where I only couldn't click when they finished.

UPDATE 2:
It happened again with a S.A.V.E. ad at 8:28pm EST. So, I guess it's safe to say that it's every Funimation ad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6710
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem as above, but this time with Rightstuf rectangle banner ads that pop up at the top of site. I managed to block the Funimation ads and everything was clear until a couple days ago when Rightstuf ads started making the site unclickable.

It's the same computer and same browser, by the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8564
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Someone else reported this exact same problem (but in Internet Explorer) by e-mail. Turned out it was their Flash install that was the problem. Uninstalling and re-installing Flash fixed the problem for them. Hopefully it will for you to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 22

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group