• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galilei Donna (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
People still try to communicate with dtm42 on these kinds of things?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Instead of making a snide and pointless remark, how about you instead convince me what potential you saw in the first few episodes? Because right now all I'm hearing is that there totally was potential, and the premise was somehow interesting, and that characters started off really good, but no-one can actually give examples and reasons to support any of these notions.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Why on Earth would I try to convince you about anything?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
^
Because perhaps it is more productive to have a discourse about the topic at hand than making thinly-veiled personal attacks born from having a massive chip on your shoulder?

Anyway, this is about you backing up your own assertions with actual examples.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
My assertion here is that you get incredibly obsessed with the most trivial things, and then continue to insist that they are incredibly important and anyone who doesn't agree with you must be blind in some fashion. But see, that's not really all that productive, either, because you wouldn't understand it. I was just trying to be helpful to the other folks here, reminding them that this discussion was over the moment you decided you had come to a conclusion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I liked about the first few episodes:

- a cool, visually interesting setting (Italy during a global winter);

- interesting dynamic between two estranged parents (an element I foolishly thought was actually going to be developed throughout the series);

- interesting dynamic between three sisters of differing temperaments and abilities;

- fast moving and reasonably well-choreographed action scenes;

- intriguing puzzle quest: find a number of different sketches secreted in different parts of the world that collectively would reveal something of great importance (supposedly). Again, in the first few episodes there was no indication that collecting these sketches would be incredibly easy and generally happen through dull contrivances. Anyone who claims that was obvious from the beginning is full of crap.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42

Why would you even want to have any sort of discourse over a series you've only seen two episodes of and judged it wasn't worth your time? oO
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti:

I followed the thread a little bit to see how Galilei Donna was going, especially after Samurai Flamenco went off the deep end and pushed the nuclear button. I wasn't reading every post of this thread, just skim-reading to get the general feel of what was happening. (I'm doing the same for the Coppelion thread, just to put that out there.)

Then I followed this thread more closely because I found it puzzling why people were getting outraged and hurt all of a sudden. I make a post saying that I'm perplexed or something along those lines and was then further surprised at the response I got. I didn't mean to get dragged in to a long discussion, that's for sure.

Yttrbio wrote:
My assertion here is that you get incredibly obsessed with the most trivial things, and then continue to insist that they are incredibly important and anyone who doesn't agree with you must be blind in some fashion.

The uncontestable fact is, I correctly deduced that the show was crap after just two episodes. That it took you longer - a lot longer - to realise this is the issue here. Could you have known? Did I just make a lucky guess? Well, given how obvious it was to me it wasn't a guess on my part, and I do believe that people weren't looking at the show critically enough from early on. Those so-called "trivial things" were actually very loud warning sirens that could easily be heard if one just paid attention.

I feel like most people heard that Galilei Donna was a noitaminA show, automatically assumed it would be brilliant and so stopped their critical reasoning processes until the show's failings became too much to ignore.

Yttrbio wrote:
But see, that's not really all that productive, either, because you wouldn't understand it. I was just trying to be helpful to the other folks here, reminding them that this discussion was over the moment you decided you had come to a conclusion.

This is not about me, it is about you actually proving that your belief of the show's potential had some merit. Given that you haven't put up a single line of reasoning and instead have resorted to personal attacks and trying to be "helpful" by derailing discussion, I'd say you can't think of anything and so are trying to deflect attention.

The only person not actually bothering to debate and be open-minded is yourself. Funny that.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm certainly finding this show to be very interesting. Maybe not good, probably not bad, but definitely interesting.

It seems to go about things in an unusual way, and I like it for that. The goldfish mechs, the resource commentary, the character interactions: it's all very unconventional, and I'm still intrigued and on board here.

Oddly enough, I was much less interested in this for the first few episodes, but I stuck it out for the hell of it and things got more appealing to me as time went on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Notice how dtm42 has asked for specifics about why there were those of us who thought this show showed potential, but he has neglected to provide specifics on why it was so "obvious" after two eppies that this show was headed for the shitter.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I make a post saying that I'm perplexed or something along those lines and was then further surprised at the response I got. I didn't mean to get dragged in to a long discussion, that's for sure.

Actually, what you did was make a post declaring that it was "obvious" this show was bad from the start and declaring that we were all "foolish" for expecting anything of it. And then, when I politely tried to explain what it was about the show I saw potential in, you proceeded to accuse us of being "overly optimistic" and insist that we "should have" seen right away that the show would "almost certainly not get much better". Honestly man, I don't know what to say to you sometimes. You seem like an intelligent person with interesting things to say but some of your decisions baffle me. I don't know why you would come into a thread about a show you aren't even watching and proceed to tell a bunch of people who you essentially agree with (there's little dispute that this is NOT a good show) that they're all fools for not agreeing with you quickly enough. I mean, are you just looking for a fight?
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Notice how dtm42 has asked for specifics about why there were those of us who thought this show showed potential, but he has neglected to provide specifics on why it was so "obvious" after two eppies that this show was headed for the shitter.

Which is why I'm not even going to bother since his mind is made up and I don't see any point in debating with a person complaining about a show he only watched two episodes of. Of course, he'll probably take that as winning the argument.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Actually, what you did was make a post declaring that it was "obvious" this show was bad from the start and declaring that we were all "foolish" for expecting anything of it.

Well, when the show gives you unambiguous warning signs straight away and you fail to heed them at all, what am I supposed to think?

ikillchicken wrote:
And then, when I politely tried to explain what it was about the show I saw potential in, you proceeded to accuse us of being "overly optimistic" and insist that we "should have" seen right away that the show would "almost certainly not get much better".

What is more plausible; that I have super amazing intuition and can see how a show will turn out from the smallest of clues, or that a whole bunch of people bought the noitaminA label hook line and sinker and didn't pay attention to obvious warning signs?

The answer is the latter, not the former. My intuition isn't that good.

ikillchicken wrote:
Honestly man, I don't know what to say to you sometimes. You seem like an intelligent person with interesting things to say but some of your decisions baffle me.

If you want to go there, and while we're on the subject, some of your decisions baffle me too. You're a witty and intelligent person who can make me laugh and make me think and you like a lot of the things I like. We both think Trigun is a masterpiece; hooray.

But then you show disgust for anime in the noughties, idolise old anime and put it up on a pedestal, and you made an extremely offensive thread recently where you said something along the lines of that anime had finally gotten good again. As if the current renaissance of anime only just occurred when you realised it this summer instead of years ago when it actually started.

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know why you would come into a thread about a show you aren't even watching and proceed to tell a bunch of people who you essentially agree with (there's little dispute that this is NOT a good show) that they're all fools for not agreeing with you quickly enough. I mean, are you just looking for a fight?

No, I came into a thread of a show I had some familiarity with as I had a different perspective on the show and on how the audience has viewed it than other people do.

It's not about agreeing with me or not. You guys didn't let me down; you don't owe me anything and you don't have to agree with me*. But you did let yourselves down; you feel angry and hurt now because you weren't paying attention earlier. It is about recognising the signs early enough to avoid disappointment.

Though that said, I don't understand why it is so hard for all of you to say "yeah you were right, we should have known but we didn't" and left it at that. I mean, obviously I was right all along that the show was a stinker because the evidence is irrefutable; only one episode to go and the show is indeed a stinker, just like I knew it would be. And the reason I knew is because there was evidence that told me. So why is it so difficult for you to admit that?

I mean, where the heck do you guys think I got the correct notion that the show was bad if not from the show itself?

phia_one wrote:
Of course, he'll probably take that as winning the argument.

Damn right I would. You wasted your time on this stinker and yet I did not.

I would like to point out however that I do know exactly what has happened in the show, thanks to threads like this one and on several blogs such as Random Curiosity. So any assumption that I don't know what has occurred is a completely false one.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Is he being a parody of himself, now, or is he serious? I really can't tell.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Is he being a parody of himself, now, or is he serious? I really can't tell.

That's yet one more thing you couldn't tell, even when the evidence was staring you straight in the face. You might as well add it to the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19