• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galilei Donna (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex isn't exactly known for doing sequels or reboots EVEN when the anime in question is a best seller or extremely popular.

Considering that the series hasn't been selling that well so far I'd say this is just a case of Aniplex screwing over both their workers and fans and we'll have to live with it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Aniplex isn't exactly known for doing sequels or reboots EVEN when the anime in question is a best seller or extremely popular.

AnoHana has a movie
Bakemonogatari has sequels out the wahzoo
Big Windup has a sequel
Black Butler sequel
The Blood universe is big
Blue Exorcist has a movie
Darker Than Black has a sequel OVA and series
Dog Days has a sequel
Fullmetal Alchemist got a reboot
Gurren Lagann got two movies and the tons of little extras like the Parallel Works
Hell Girl has two sequels
It takes two hands to count the installments of Hidamari Sketch
Magi got sequel despite sales dropping like a rock during the first season
OreImo got a sequel
Madoka has three movies
Working got a sequel

Movies, sequels AND reboots.

I'm not saying Galilei Donna is gonna get a sequel or a reboot, but you're just flat out wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That list doesn't even cover 1/4 of what Aniplex has been officially involved with. FMA is probably one of if not their most profitable titles so they already knew that they would make a bunch of money off of a reboot considering it was also sporting a huge budget to be able to keep up it's amazing animation for over 60 episodes and more closely followed the manga. If that's the only reboot that comes to mind added to the fact you are comparing it to THIS show no less really doesn't make any sense. If a series is selling horribly a reboot makes absouletly no sense whatsoever.

As for Magi the manga saw an amazing increase in sales so it's probably like a cross promotion thing.

Bakemonogatari is one of the best selling LN's atm due to the anime's popularity and the disc sales are amazing too. Obviously you'd want to keep that up unless yer dumb :I.

Durarara!! and SAO both sold extremely well and have plenty of source material to go off of yet there is no sequel (i'm not counting the 2 hour special they are doing because it will likely have a large amount of old footage).

Really it's hard to tell with Aniplex because it almost seems completely random with the way they go about choosing what deserves a sequel or not. In the end though they are a company that likes to make money as most places do. So they probably didn't see this series as being worth a 2-cour since for some reason and screwed everyone over because of it. Almost feels like they were just cutting their losses here.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
You know, if the last three episodes were handled differently, I probably would have bought this series if someone licensed it.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
After all, this show:
1) great visual art of design;
2) super annoying and fake dolly-lolly voice of main heroine and transgenerational incest;
3) weak, embarrassing, facepalm writing.

It is too bad that graphical talents and quite interesting concept were ruined with such profound mediocrity of storytelling. No wonder the ANN rating is so bad.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
2) ...transgenerational incest;

That's a bit strict, don't you think? If it's legal to marry a second or third cousin, I think it's alright to fall for your father 25 times removed (I've no idea how to calculate generations over 500+ years).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
That was a really dreary ending. Where was the climax? I could have missed it, but I never felt any effective tension or excitement, much less any peak or release thereof.

I really hated that courtroom scene. It seemed really arbitrary and unstructured. I know that the Italian and Japanese (since I don't believe that the people who made this would bother with anything more than superficially Italian) legal systems come from different traditions and operate under different rules than the American one, so it's not like I expected something out of an episode of Law & Order, but the way it proceeded felt like an unbearably transparent plot expedient. The structure and rules, even if they're pretty loose, are what makes a courtroom scene dramatically effective, but I couldn't find that in this example. It offered nothing. I expected, in this context, that the eldest sister would at least be allowed a triumphant moment, but her part in this episode was a piddling waste of time.

Did the middle sister even do anything worthwhile? She was supposed to be the athletic, martial artist among the three, but I can't remember her even throwing a punch. I'm sure she did, at least once, but this series made such a nothing of her that I can't remember. She should've punched the judge or maybe Hozuki.

It may have been called Galilei Donna, but it did the narrative equivalent of lewd acts with a minor on Hozuki, leaving the other two with jack to do.

Also: Roberto sucked and I hated him. I just didn't care about Anna. I don't recall getting any explanation or sense as to why she was at all devoted to him, not even a stupid one.

The worst thing was that it made me think that the parents starred in a much more interesting show off screen. They all but disappeared after the second episode, but the series wanted us to cheerily accept that they had their own adventure that pretty well solved the story while we were stuck watching Galilei Donna. Galile Genitori might have sucked too, but at least the characters would have been adults who never mewled, "Ka-nee! Ha-nee!" JESUS GODDAMN CHRIST I HAVE NOT THE WORDS TO EXPLAIN HOW ANNOYING THAT WAS FOR ME! Seriously, every time Hozuki whined out for her sisters it was Satan's gnarled infinite fingernails scraping across every chalkboard in the deepest pits off Hell.

I truly believed that it was Sōbi Yamomoto who would ultimately betray me this season, not Yasuomi Umetsu. Truly, I am ashamed.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
2) ...transgenerational incest;

That's a bit strict, don't you think? If it's legal to marry a second or third cousin, I think it's alright to fall for your father 25 times removed (I've no idea how to calculate generations over 500+ years).

Besides that, I don't recall Hozuki and Galileo actually having sex. A romance between an adult male (I assume that he was an adult) and a thirteen-year-old-girl is creepy to me, but as far as I recall, it was a chaste relationship. It was stupid and tedious, but chaste. Even if they had 'engaged in coitus', it would have just been creepy because *achem* HOZUKI IS A THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD-GIRL, not because it was in some very distant, convoluted way incest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Besides that, I don't recall Hozuki and Galileo actually having sex. A romance between an adult male (I assume that he was an adult) and a thirteen-year-old-girl is creepy to me, but as far as I recall, it was a chaste relationship. It was stupid and tedious, but chaste. Even if they had 'engaged in coitus', it would have just been creepy because *achem* HOZUKI IS A THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD-GIRL, not because it was in some very distant, convoluted way incest.

It seemed to me that he was about her age. He didn't look like a full adult to me.

Also, Galileo was born in 1564, and to a descendant living in the 2070s for whom he was an ancestor, there have certainly been enough generations inbetween that their genetic similarity shouldn't be any greater than any two modern people from his town in Italy.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
You know i really hate it when people try to dance around the subject with stuff like that.

It's like when you see someone who is clearly a loli or small child but the anime says "she's actually 25 years old so it's fine!"

That kind of crap always disgusts me because it's just a cheap justification to put someone who looks like a young child in a romantic and sometimes sexual situation.

Same thing here in Galileo's time it would probably be acceptable to marry someone of Hozuki's age. I'm thankful the anime did not dwell to much into this scenario and it never led to a kiss or anything distasteful of that nature, but i still felt like it was a rather unnecessary and uninteresting addition to the already terrible narrative.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Sounds like dropping this series a while back was the right choice. What a shame.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my impression was the relationship between grandfather X how many greats and Hozuki was chaste, but it still doesn't mean the goo-goo eyes and love poetry wasn't conceptually weird.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Sounds like dropping this series a while back was the right choice. What a shame.

I only kept watching so I could edit the page it has in the encyclopedia. If it weren't for that, I'd have dropped it hard after the hospital hobos episode.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
To all:

Whether the relationship was sexual or not (this time, it does not seem so), it is not the point. They did not get to that, but it is transgenerational incest (platonic) anyway.

And yes, as others mentioned, she is sexually immature girl, so feelings from sexually mature boy (however young) towards prepubescent girl is paedophilia. It is clinical definition (it does not require acts of sex to happen per se), there could be no opinions about it unless you would redefine the meaning of the word. However close their age supposedly is, the only real factor is feeling towards prepubescent person.

Contrast example: as soon as I got sexually mature, I could never think of being romantically engaged with sexually immature people. This kiddie love thing was gone forever because I am not into paedophilia. However, in this story the Galileo guy has those inclinations.

I forgot to list this, but this is another creepy aspect of this story; thanks for the addition. Authors can arguably go with this because the story did not contain sex, but it still is disturbing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
You're discounting the era. Juliet was only 13 (like Hozuki, who is not prepubescent), and Paris said of her, "Younger than she are happy mothers made." When the average life expectancy was 35 or 40, people married almost as soon as they hit puberty, and 13 was considered an adult. So it's not really fair to judge Galileo by modern standards and label him a pedophile. Even today, 13 year old girls (14 for boys) in New Hampshire can be legally married with parental consent and a judicial waiver, and several states have similar allowances for 14 year olds.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Piece of advice: Don't watch this show with an aeronautical engineer. Seriously, I just had an argument over whether or not Galileo was a physicist for Christ's sake, he claimed he wasn't... Seriously.

And don't even get me started on the whole "But what about the Reynold's number?" thing. Oh god. This hurts....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19