• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galilei Donna (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[She's just taking a nap]

I was getting pretty damn annoyed by a streak of little problems that happened over the course of a couple minutes though.

spoiler[A lab full of random crap all over... you couldn't find anything better to carry your goldfish in other than your cupped hands?... whoops... no water for the goldfish... you really should put that beloved goldfish of yours in something... remember your goldfish?... um, apparently not... no goldfish...
....okay, so you have a mecha... but there are still two guns on the girl... I wonder how they'll handle it?.... well, having the two cops suddenly and inexplicably tied up is one way to do it... the bad way, but definitely one way to do it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Hozuki held them up while Anna tied them up. I thought it was pretty clear. Ship with giant guns catches the cops in it's lights, cops wish they'd called in sick that day, cops are tied up while ship flies away]. Makes sense to me.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Power Armor was cool! I like that spoiler[it was taking damage and wasn't some indestructible armor].

spoiler[Parents dead, maybe]? Now that would be interesting if they have the balls to keep it that way.

Loli genius is cute, but you know...another loli genius? Rolling Eyes

Those tubes on the side of Anna's head are driving me crazy. She needs a haircut desperately. Where's my weedwacker?

While the whole Galileo thing is presented a little clunky (yes, yes we get it you are descended from Galileo!). I do think its gotten off to a decent start. Everything looks nice, the CG doesn't bother me, and they managed to keep the momentum going from the first episode. If the payoff isn't lame this could turn into one of the stronger shows of the season.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
Second episode just as strong as the first. Very easy show to like, and the plot hasn't fully kicked off yet. Surprise of the season thus far, at least for me.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
One thing that gets me is that twice now they have said that Galileo was a proponent of geocentricism over heliocentrcism, which isn't true: Galielo was a propenent of heliocentricism.

At first, I thought that it was probably a mistake, maybe on the part of the crunchyroll subs, but now I'm starting to think that this might be some kind of alternate history, and one source of the differences we see between this world and ours come from the fact that Galileo was a geocentricist, and that because of that he didn't catch the ire of the church over that matter, and therefore became much more influential. maybe this led to the actual existence of this tesoro Galileano.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Despite the clunky premise, I was pretty sure this one was a keeper after the first episode, and the second episode has only reinforced that impression - especially if that final scene stands with the meaning it appeared to have. Wasn't expecting much out of this one, so it has been a welcome surprise. (Kotoura-san still has my vote for the biggest surprise series of the year, though.) Between the action and the music it has the feel of a classic adventure story, and the characters are a likable enough lot so far.

I also could do without the touches of fan service in the ED, though. This has otherwise been a very clean title, so they feel out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also could do without the touches of fan service in the ED, though. This has otherwise been a very clean title, so they feel out of place.

This is Umetsus work,so you should be expecting fanservice to come.
Any show that has a dude firing bazooka at robot is amazing.Not to mention good production values,and very good use of shaky cam that never feels nauseating like it does in so many movies.Fight scenes sort of reminded me of (unexpectedly)Kids on the Slope,the entire fist fight in this episode was done in a single shot that had rotating camera for dramatic effect,which really reminded the fight in episode one of Kids on the Slope.
Continue to keep it real Umetsu.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
spoiler[Hozuki held them up while Anna tied them up. I thought it was pretty clear. Ship with giant guns catches the cops in it's lights, cops wish they'd called in sick that day, cops are tied up while ship flies away]. Makes sense to me.

Well, yeah, that's the only way to see it. But it was clumsily handled IMO. And I agree it probably didn't warrant spending much more time on it, but just a second more to show them dropping their guns would have at least shown that they were willing to give up instead of what could have stayed as a standoff.

But, as I said, it was minor.
The cops gave up.
At some point they put the fish in some water.
Minor things that can be implied. But at the point in the episode these things happened I started wondering if these dropped details were indicative of a larger problem of lazy story telling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Since she had superior fire power I would think the mecha had more weight than it was used for. Just pluck on a loudspeaker and give warnings to everyone that if they fire at her she will fire on them and she has the ability to do so, and she just wants her family back. It would have at the least created some unrest among the cops and at the most make the whole situation easy in getting help or worming out the actual bad guy.

I don't suppose we will have a revenge fest?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
I actually was sort of bothered by the goldfish thing too. It's not like I expect them to address the matter since it's really irrelevant, but I just wonder what was the point of making a whole scene (s) of spoiler[Hozuki being super worried about her beloved goldfish and then suddenly forgetting about it altogether]

Also, I actually hopespoiler[ the parents aren't dead] (maybe I'm the only one). For once, it would be neat to see a series were parents are active and participate in all the shit their kids get tossed into. I mean, it would be nice for a change to have parents getting involved with their children's adventures and not just being the ones who welcome you home/ never home because of work/ dead and inspiring/ forcing you into apocalyptic giant mechas
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
now I want to work at an Italian police station, in the hopes that I may come across an RPG in the armory
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
now I want to work at an Italian police station, in the hopes that I may come across an RPG in the armory
If you have to deal with Sky Pirates in giant fish ships and power armor it could be something useful to have in your armory. At least its a little more plausible than what was going on in Coppelion - spoiler["oh look we conveniently found (off screen) a stinger missile and a running jeep in this apocalyptic setting and just in time too"].

Hmmm...all this talk of fish makes my kinda hungry for like fish n chips you know?
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT! I wasn't expecting spoiler[their mom to be alive. That's going to be more crushing than if she had died considering that she now has amnesia.]

I really want to know the reason for Roberto's constant need to make paper cranes.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Giving him a quirk like that is simpler than giving him an actual personality?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought he might have accidentally wandered over from the set of Darker than Black, and that was his compulsion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19