• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
If the rest of the shows are like this one, then I don't think I'd be interested enough to stick with it. If they take a left turn and he gets some real superpowered fighting stuff going, then maybe, but this episode was just dull. It was pretty, and funny in places, but it told the story as well as it could, I don't see what another 11 episodes would add to it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Could anyone enlighten me as to how the ED corresponds to the series? I sure am puzzled.

Other than that I find myself quite drawn to this one. I love the two leads a lot already. This was a quiet episode, but it had such a pleasant atmosphere that I really didn't mind. Although I do believe we're ready for some development on a bigger scale here. The OP song is quite charming, though.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Could anyone enlighten me as to how the ED corresponds to the series? I sure am puzzled.

I think it's just a case of "Well, we have an idol group in the series, so of course we have to have their 'group' sing the ending" and "Well, if they're singing the ending, then why don't we just have the ending feature them?"

Presumably that group will be more involved in the series than just this episode, since they were in all the promotional material.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Hazama is really damaging my ability to watch and enjoy this show. If this show is supposed to be character centric, I'm probably not going to be able to continue because of how annoying he is.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
I wasn't too into the first episode but the second episode changed my mind especially the second half. Even though it seemed a bit silly at first with the whole spoiler[umbrella ordeal, I find Masayoshi's actions and words to be honest and noble.]

That spoiler[biking chasing scene] was pretty intense imo. I bet if he keeps this up, he'll eventually gain international attention; not that he hasn't gained attention already in the media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Hazama is really damaging my ability to watch and enjoy this show. If this show is supposed to be character centric, I'm probably not going to be able to continue because of how annoying he is.

I honestly love Masayoshi's character. He's a handsome 19 year old superhero who is naive enough to get himself into some sticky situations with super evil villians (read: yaoi fanfic LOLOLOL). What's not to love? Twisted Evil

Lol, his character makes the whole anime. Were you expecting some half-assed superhero from reality? Kind of like Goto? I personally want to see this develop into some more dramatic situations. ;D I can't wait to see Masayoshi's face when there's a reality check; Not everything goes according to plan. Sometimes when you're "leveling up" you encounter a "surprise" monster that is out of your hero level range. Twisted Evil DAMN WHERE THE HELL ARE THE REAL VILLAINS WITH GUNS AND GRINS?

Animes where the characters learn something that is invaluable and the animes do a good job of running with it WITHOUT making it cringe-worthy are one of the animes I appreciate the most. Chamber and Ledo from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is one of them. The last episode was very well done in my opinion.

The Hakari Sunshine moments from episode one made me cringe (both Masayoshi's apartment and the phone booth part) but I cringed because I have to give him credit for having the balls to be a "hero of justice" in that reality, LOL. And the cringing is a good thing. I don't find many animes that I cringe while I watch certain parts of it and STILL want to keep watching.

Embarassed I NEED MORE ;D!

Edit: Typos Embarassed

Last edited by Sobe on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

I think it's just a case of "Well, we have an idol group in the series, so of course we have to have their 'group' sing the ending" and "Well, if they're singing the ending, then why don't we just have the ending feature them?"

Presumably that group will be more involved in the series than just this episode, since they were in all the promotional material.

The idol group joining the model in fighting for justice. That's going to be brilliant. The poor police man will have his hands full getting them out of trouble.

Sobe wrote:
Animes where the characters learn something that is invaluable and the animes do a good job of running with it WITHOUT making it cringe-worthy are one of the animes I appreciate the most. Chamber and Ledo from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is one of them. The last episode was very well done in my opinion.

That's exactly the vibe and potential I am getting from this show as well. Hopefully we will not be disappointed.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Are you going to acknowledge my argument that the show actively painted a target on irresponsible smokers? Or are you just going to ignore it out of moral superiority?

This show only discussed irresponsible smokers as misdemeanor along the lines with jaywalking. Totally different from the point I was making.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
@Sobe
I knew what I was getting into when I started the show, I just wasn't anticipating just how annoying Hazama was going to be.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
So this is a buddy cop version of Skip Beat? Hell yeah, bro!

Something about this show just charms the socks off me. Hazama's sincerity, while naive, is infectious. I'm interested to see where the show takes him. In addition, the chemistry between him and Goto continues to grow in a direction that doesn't feel forced or contrived; the dinner scene this episode felt like two good friends having a talk. Also, Goto is an adorable drunk.

Well, this is certainly a keeper for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

This kind of reminds me of someone. You know, that kid from Tari Tari; Wien. For that reason it kind of makes me think a little of seen it already.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the second eppie, I'm basically still feeling the same way I did after the first: kind of bored, but willing to see where this is all headed to. I dug Hazama's manager: sexy, snarly and with short hair.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I feel this one starting to grow on me just a little as of ep 2. Typically, I really dislike characters who exist for the sole purpose of following around and annoying the protagonist. Here, though, Hazama isn't being exactly that kind of pest; the public nuisance he's making of himself lands on Gotoh's desk indirectly, and it's funny seeing the longsuffering cop caught in the middle. Also, Hazama has enough charm and enough other things going on in his life that he's coming across as a more rounded character than I was afraid would be the case. Still a bit borderline on this one, but having enough fun to keep watching.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I read the wiki article on "Real Life Superheroes" (thanks, Mr Adventure!). Maybe if Hazama was trying to help the homeless or raising awareness for the environment or animal rights I'd be behind him, but he's picking on drunks, yelling at kids, and annoying middle-aged ladies. Hey, Samurai Flamenco, you know what's worse than putting out the garbage too early? Putting out the garbage too late! I think that lady had the right idea telling him to take care of it.

Otherwise, the show is fun. The scenarios are ridiculous and Hazama is obnoxious (we're supposed to find him obnoxious, right?) but it has a low key sense of humor that shines in scenes like the one at the restaurant.

Ep 2: spoiler[Does anyone want to guess what Mari the idol singer was up to when she stopped Hazama? I think she caught him singing that theme song under his breath and connected with it.

Who wouldn't guess that Hazama was the superhero after seeing him on that talk show that featured his Youtube vid? Someone's going to figure it out. Probably Mari, hopefully not his manager.]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ep 2: spoiler[Does anyone want to guess what Mari the idol singer was up to when she stopped Hazama? I think she caught him singing that theme song under his breath and connected with it.

Who wouldn't guess that Hazama was the superhero after seeing him on that talk show that featured his Youtube vid? Someone's going to figure it out. Probably Mari, hopefully not his manager.]

I suspect as the show goes forward spoiler[other people will start to take inspiration from Samurai Flamenco and become 'heroes'. I suspect Mari also has strong memories of the super sentai show(s) Hazama is taking inspiration from, which is why Mari stopped him when he sang the song out loud.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28