• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I pointed out the same thing in my post above, Mr. Day Late and a Dollar Short. Wink

In this case I am guilty of skimming.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
So episode 21, anybody? I actually loved this ep (well, as much as I can love a Samurai Flamenco ep since the show went off the rails).
I really want this show to do something different and daring. spoiler[I want Masayoshi to realize that "love" is what he feels for Goto. If something isn't marketed as a yaoi or BL off the bat I'm sure a gay relationship (that's not played for laughs ala Moe) is unlikely, though. I'd be okay with them going for bromance. But the way they put Masayoshi on a quest to discover the true meaning of love, at the same time Goto gets kidnapped--they seem to be hinting that they might just go there. And this show is crazy and does whatever the hell it wants, so who knows where they'll go next? As long as they don't actually kill off Goto. That would suck.]
So, is next ep the last ep? This show was nuts, that's for sure! I don't regret watching it, but I do think it wasted a lot of its potential by spending time on interdimensional alien plot when it could have just focused on its amazing core cast of characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Oh God that spoiler[ending....I hope he's not dead.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I really want this show to do something different and daring. spoiler[I want Masayoshi to realize that "love" is what he feels for Goto. If something isn't marketed as a yaoi or BL off the bat I'm sure a gay relationship (that's not played for laughs ala Moe) is unlikely, though. I'd be okay with them going for bromance. .]

I was thinking the same thing, spoiler[especially since everyone kept emphasizing that "love comes in different shapes and sizes". But i guess they'll probably go for bromance in the end...] Well, i guess i'll probably be fine with almost any ending: if this show has taught me anything, it's an almost ZEN-like acceptance of whatever happens. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
if this show has taught me anything, it's an almost ZEN-like acceptance of whatever happens. Laughing

This so much Laughing

I'm with everyone hoping spoiler[Masayoshi finds "love" in Goto. It'd be great for an anime show that's not explicitly BL to go that route and it'd feeld just right given the kind of relationship they have.] I doubt they'll dare go that way, but it'd be neat if they at leastspoiler[ acknowledge it as a bromance]. So long as spoiler[Goto doesn't end up with Mari or Ishihara, I'm game.] It'd also be pretty neat if his spoiler[psychotic break] was magically cured with the power of Flamwenco or something.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Oh Goto, you're not a very good police officer, are you? Sad
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
Zen-like acceptance all the way. Very Happy

Also, I'm completely on board with Masayoshi finding love spoiler[in Goto, and as part of official canon. Anime and fiction in general need more queer canon relationships, and those two have had such a wonderful chemistry right from the start.]

As for the ending, I'd normally say, no way spoiler[he's dead]. Ending an episode on a cliffhanger like that isn't exactly an inventive thing to do. The actual daring thing would be really spoiler[killing someone off] like that. And with this show, who knows... I hope to whoever's listening that this will turn out as business same as usual, of course.

I still have no idea how this show might end or what will be the big explanation, or, in fact, if there is going to be one.

So, why did Sawada Haiji's parents vanish spoiler[after he died? Did they die, too? Did he kill them? Is he still in a coma while constructing all of these events in his head, Samumenco and pals included? Is there a Fight Club like storyline hidden somewhere?]

I need to watch at some stone gardens.

Also, Goto needs some training. spoiler[Getting shocked and handcuffed by a dead middle schooler is not cool.]
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

Also, Goto needs some training. spoiler[Getting shocked and handcuffed by a dead middle schooler is not cool.]

Do police officers usually get special training spoiler[for handling dead middle schoolers? Laughing]

To be fair, spoiler[Haiji kidnapped his dead girlfriend, so poor Goto probably couldn't think straight...]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Do police officers usually get special training spoiler[for handling dead middle schoolers? Laughing]

It's a mandatory three-year course in any police academy. I'm sure spoiler[Goto skipped on all those classes to spend time with his dead girlfriend,] and now it's come back to bite him in the ass.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
I am on-board the whole Zen acceptance thing, although I wish I did not have to be.

Episode 21

Of course the final chapter in this show would spoiler[be..... love]! *moves head dramatically*

I knew there would be something to do with spoiler[that coffee], but I was shocked to see spoiler[both girls unconscious and foaming at the mouth], that was scary. The episode even more pushed the idea that Haiji is just like the Joker, especially since the Joker is often shown having a sort of sick love for Batman.

Wonder how this will finish.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
"Go-chan, how are you doing? I'm fine. Just kidding i'm dead."
"Can you give up on me already? It's getting pretty annoying"
"Actually it' pretty gross. I can't rest in peace if you keep acting like a psycho."

You know i think it's pretty terrible that i laughed for 5 straight minutes at these texts.........Haiji is such a classy dick.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Ok, so here's an odd question, but could Samunenco be a high functioning sociopath? I mean, he does seem a bit out of touch with human emotions. Is it possible that he completely lacks them, but was so imprinted with hero shows that his natural reaction is to "do good," as those shows portrayed it, without actually understanding the emotions involved?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Good episode all around. Especially liked how several of the main characters are starting to realize they're all delusional to some extent. I was kind of hoping something might develop between spoiler[Masayoshi and the manager lady, but either way I enjoyed her talk about love, and how it can turn into obsession and even hatred.]

It's been a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to the wrap up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, those of you hoping for a spoiler[Goto-Masayoshi love match] shall get your wish, but not in the way you'd like. See, spoiler[Goto WAS killed by gunshot, but Masayoshi will deal with his grief by pretending Goto is still alive and sending him mushy texts on his phone...] Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28