• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
That cosplay summit sounds like a mess, I'm rather glad that the US pulled out. It just sounds like trouble to me, after the stories from what happened last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to TV Aichi's site, "a regrettable mix up in the planning towards the US representative's preliminary contest" caused US representation to be "postponed."

Man, don't you just love the Japanese media! Try decoding THAT sequence of euphemisms!

I don't blame the US team in the least if they simply did not want to participate. Last year's World Cosplay Clusterfark was a shining example of fandom gone horrifically wrong, and Aichi TV's handling of the issue was inexplicable.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
When is there not drama surrounding a cosplay event? Cosplayers are more prone to drama than any other group of anime fans I know--I can only expect giant drama bombs every year out of something like the WCS. ;p

(Tangentially, if you look at the Brazilian page linked earlier with all the pictures, I'm surprised that even after all these years, at something as Big as the WCS, people would still bring Sailor Moon costumes and random school uniform'd characters.)
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think they can basically forget about any American representation for the forseeable future after that crappy decision.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't understand this at all. There's probably alot of history that needs explaining.

A Rose of Versailes team won 2nd place this year and another Rose of Versailes team was disqualified last year.

This year is this year. Last year is last year. So, maybe it's now "safe" to cosplay as Rose of Versailes characters. Creator changed her mind. It's not like it's the only anime series out there with period designs (Le Chevalier d'Eon and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette are current releases.)

Besides, if the creator and/or owner of said characters says no then that decision should be respected. It is within their rights after all.

What's the big deal about U.S representation? If no big con sponsored the U.S side, then why complain to the Summit? Shouldn't the complaints be directed to the U.S anime conventions instead?

Please explain the back history .
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
This year is this year. Last year is last year. So, maybe it's now "safe" to cosplay as Rose of Versailes characters.

Or maybe it had something to do with this year's team being pretty and Japanese? But heaven forbid TV Aishi try to rig the contest or anything... Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
But the first place team this year was Brazilian. So, that theory isn't holding up.

We definitely need the back history and more info on why Anime Expo didn't participate this year and could another con had replaced Anime Expo's sponsorship this year?

Implying a rigged event without proof isn't nice.
Earl_of_Poison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mlund

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But the first place team this year was Brazilian. So, that theory isn't holding up.

We definitely need the back history and more info on why Anime Expo didn't participate this year and could another con had replaced Anime Expo's sponsorship this year?

Hey, I remember the big ruckus from last year. The background pretty clearly showed that the contest was both rigged and misrepresented. You can read up on the threads as much as you need to to get 2 out of 1 + 1.

I'll just hold my tongue about my opinion of the WCS. I think their behavior speaks for itself.

- Marty Lund
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

There's also the fact that TV Aishi essentially left the American team, at the studio after all was said and done. They had to get a cab themselves in order to get to the airport, and were told prior that they would be picked-up and driven to the airport. After several hours of waiting, they realized they were essentially alone in a foreign country.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
From the information in this thread, it does seem like were only against the US team not not from other countries. The way things were set up for the US team just seems very fishy from them. And the excuse last year, I don't know. If this happens again, then there is no excuse, they'll rig it for anyone put the US team to even try.
BountySniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I don't understand this at all. There's probably alot of history that needs explaining.

A Rose of Versailes team won 2nd place this year and another Rose of Versailes team was disqualified last year.

This year is this year. Last year is last year. So, maybe it's now "safe" to cosplay as Rose of Versailes characters. Creator changed her mind. It's not like it's the only anime series out there with period designs (Le Chevalier d'Eon and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette are current releases.)

Besides, if the creator and/or owner of said characters says no then that decision should be respected. It is within their rights after all.

What's the big deal about U.S representation? If no big con sponsored the U.S side, then why complain to the Summit? Shouldn't the complaints be directed to the U.S anime conventions instead?

Please explain the back history.

Actually, THIS year an Italian Team was also disqualified for entering as Rose of Versailles, so sorry your theory about the creator changing their minds is not correct.

As for the prelimminary qualification for the US, it's pretty suspicious that they didn't try another convention to host the event...they only asked Anime Expo. There's what HUNDREDS of other conventions they could hold it at?

This is pretty much evidence that TV Aichi does not play by their own rules AND that this contest is just friggen JOKE. It's only value is entertainment for Japanese TV they don't give a damn about being fair and they certainly don't give a damn about cosplayers.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the US team gets disqualified and the Americans start jumping off the walls? What's up with that? So now it's cool to bash folks from the country that won and the folks who put the show on? I'd prefer to see more of the details before I start bashing everyone without actually knowing what happened.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Wow, the US team gets disqualified and the Americans start jumping off the walls? What's up with that? So now it's cool to bash folks from the country that won and the folks who put the show on? I'd prefer to see more of the details before I start bashing everyone without actually knowing what happened.

Its pretty-much spelled-out in the various links posted.

Essentially, in 2005 at Anime Expo, a very very well-done group won the spot for US group, cosplaying from "Rose of Versailles". The TV Aichi contest promoters, claimed that the creator of the series did not approve of cosplays, so they asked them to provide them with other examples of their cosplay. The winning group then hands them a portfolio of their other cosplays. A short while later, the TV Aichi promoters inform them that none of the cosplays in the portfolio art "acceptable" and that they have chosen several other cosplayers from the "singles" category to form a group. The judges at Anime Expo apparently argued against this, but the TV Aichi promoters simply changed the rules on-the-fly so they got their way. In essence, the WCS is more of a cosplay casting call than any sort of real competition.

This group goes-on to compete at the WCS in Japan, and feels they are mistreated during the contest, although that part is arguable. After the contest is over, TV Aichi then abandons the US team in the middle of the city. They were supposed to be given a ride back to the airport, but after several hours of waiting, they were forced to get a cab themselves (without a translator) and subsequently head home.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
OK, does anyone think that this "news item" isn't news, but rather rumour and conjecture? It's one thing to say who won WCS 2006, but another thing to say "World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions". Questions from who? The fact is, this year a Rose of Versailles group won an award. Last year a Rose of Versailles group was disqualified from the US finals. There is no actual link, other than the subject matter. To connect the two without any evidence, proof or quote is not news.

If there was a "Deep Throat" at Aichi TV that said that there was a connection, then that would be news, albeit investigative news. In this case, this is just two or three isolated pieces which then invites people to connect the dots. It's fine for people to discuss this in forums, because we are then talking about opinions. Just don't post it as news.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5