• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsume Yuujin - season 5?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Any body besides me want another season of Natsume Yuujin?

I'm soooo glad that they've had this on crunchyroll and I'm even more ecstatic that the first 4 seasons have finally been licensed by NIS America for release sometime in 2012; although I myself haven't heard any concrete dates for these. (but when they are released I'll be the first to buy em)

Anyway back on topic; I love how every season ends on a great up-beat note, yet at the same time you dive deeper and deeper into Natsume's past to reveal more and more characters and stories.

What does everyone else think about this series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
how far along the manga material did they get when S4 ended? i still haven't even finished S1 yet and i don't read a whole lot of manga so i'm curious if they can even manage a S5 currently or if it'd be something to wait for should it happen
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Someone told me the ending had been announced. I'm guessing it was just speculation since I can't find anything on ANN.

It's a great series. Wouldn't mind having over 100 episodes of it out there.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
As far as the USA releases GN 9-11 and from what I've seen from synopses at rightstuf.com GN 12 seems to have a synopsis of the "damaged letter to the kind hearted yokai" episode from this season.

So Volibear maybe right; they might just have to wait for the mangaka to create more manga volumes before more anime seasons can be produced. All I know is that there will be a week of sushi and uden binging when the series/manga is over; as this is by far one of my favorite series ever. And that's saying something since I've been a fan since around 1996 (a mere 10 years old) --- [please dont calculate my age Dx]

anyway; I'm hoping to find out more about natsume's past soon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2011-12-06 (English volume 10)
2012-01-04 (Japan volume 13)

According to ANN.

If you notice the patterns:

Season 1: 2008-07-07 to 2008-09-29
Season 2: 2009-01-05 to 2009-03-30
Season 3: 2011-07-04 to 2011-09-26
Season 4: 2012-01-02 (to +3 months most likely)

So if they're going for a fifth I wouldn't expect to see it within the next 2 years,
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
I would like to see more Natsume. It's so nice and cute, but the anime covers 51 chapters of the manga, which has currently 61 chapters, so I suppose that even if there are plans for another season, there will be a longer break.
Quote:

As far as the USA releases GN 9-11 and from what I've seen from synopses at rightstuf.com GN 12 seems to have a synopsis of the "damaged letter to the kind hearted yokai" episode from this season.

The anime doesn't cover stories form the manga in a chronological order, for example: the story about a youkai in the form of an elderly woman is the first episode of San, in the manga is after the the little Natsume story that has been used for the last episodes of Shi, so the first episode of the third season covers chapter 48, whereas the last three episodes of the fourth season cover chapters form 44 to 46. Chapters 49-51 from volume 12, episodes 6 and 7 of the fourth season, contain the story in which Nyanko-sensei transforms into Natsume and goes around his school, hence two Natsumes on the cover. Wink

Of course, most of the time it's not a big deal that the stories are mixed up.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
I hope that if there is a season five it will be used to advance the story. Natsume's backstory was most enjoyable but it has been told, spending more time on it is pointless and wasteful. The slice-of-life aspects were enjoyable but now they're getting a bit tired.

I'm still a huge of the franchise which is precisely why I don't want to see it fade away or become stale. The exorcist arcs were interesting and hold much promise, I hope we see more from them. I'm not saying I want Shounen-style battles or anything like that 'cause I don't. But I want to see something happen, something that will keep things fresh and lead to further growth of Natsume and other characters.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I hope that if there is a season five it will be used to advance the story. Natsume's backstory was most enjoyable but it has been told, spending more time on it is pointless and wasteful. The slice-of-life aspects were enjoyable but now they're getting a bit tired.

I'm still a huge of the franchise which is precisely why I don't want to see it fade away or become stale. The exorcist arcs were interesting and hold much promise, I hope we see more from them. I'm not saying I want Shounen-style battles or anything like that 'cause I don't. But I want to see something happen, something that will keep things fresh and lead to further growth of Natsume and other characters.

I agree that there is no need to dive deeper into Natsume's past. It's done and I don't think that there is anything to add. Fortunately, Midorikawa also seems to think that there is no need and she dives deeper into Reiko's back-story and makes preparations for something big connected with Matoba.

So I believe the manga is heading in the right direction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I mean, just because we're finished with Natsume's past doesn't mean we are finished with Reiko. She obviously managed to get pregnant despite being a loner, I'd like more on that. Then there is how she died; we know she died young but how? Also, Madara knew Reiko quite well, but we don't yet know the specifics.

And the exorcists, yeah, they are crucial to expanding the story. Natsume's continuing involvement with Nittori and his clash of ideals with Matoba are good avenues to explore.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So if they're going for a fifth I wouldn't expect to see it within the next 2 years,

Yes. There are actually two Natsume seasons split in two. Next Natsume season would air during summer 2014 at best.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

I agree that there is no need to dive deeper into Natsume's past. It's done and I don't think that there is anything to add. Fortunately, Midorikawa also seems to think that there is no need and she dives deeper into Reiko's back-story and makes preparations for something big connected with Matoba.

So I believe the manga is heading in the right direction.

I guess I wasn't understood up above; as I see where you wouldn't want to learn more about natsume's childhood; but reiko's past is part of what I consider "natsume's past" as she is part of the past that we the viewer don't know about.

So I'd be the third to say I really don't care to see more about natsume's childhood, but what led upto that childhood would be great to see.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'd absolutely love to hear news of a season 5, but I'm actually glad that there have been pretty major gaps between the seasons and that the producers have been waiting for there to be manga material to adapt (even if it IS out of order - could have fooled me, since I'm not nearly caught up with the manga). Just when I got to the point of really jonesing for another season, the third season was announced, so I expect to be waiting for a couple of years at least.

I'll just have to spend the meantime watching the DVD releases Smile

I will agree with others in that, while I've loved the insights that we've gotten about Natsume's past and his growing relationships with others the past few seasons, like everyone else I'm really hoping to learn more about Reiko. There've been so many tantalizing little tidbits sprinkled here and there that I can't help but wonder what was going on with her.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind another 2 years, it's better than filler.

Also, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with everyone on Takashi's past. I want more stories about him growing up. I think they are important to understanding his character and motivations. They also make him more rounded and human. They may be dramatic and bittersweet, but I really love them. The chibi-Takashi episodes really were my favorite parts.

I also think that Madara is not telling the truth when it comes to being locked up at first. I have a feeling that he cares for Takashi more than he admits and there is some connection with Reiko that had him watching over Takashi long before the "initial" episode's meeting.

Please tell me that S2's Kai was not a filler character. I will be so heartbroken if he is, because I was so hoping they would go visit him sometime. Also, the little fox-cub was funny and delightful, so I hope he wasn't filler, too. I want to see more of him. Plus, I just love the fox-cub bgm that is used whenever his character is featured.

As for the Matoba clan, especially the one-eyed dude. I hate them all. Really. I can't fathom why anyone likes them. They are a stark contrast to Takashi's gentle nature and really stir up some anger in me. I rage every-time I see doujinshi featuring that yakuza-wannabe x Takashi. I don't get it.
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Also, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with everyone on Takashi's past. I want more stories about him growing up. I think they are important to understanding his character and motivations. They also make him more rounded and human. They may be dramatic and bittersweet, but I really love them. The chibi-Takashi episodes really were my favorite parts.

I also think that Madara is not telling the truth when it comes to being locked up at first. I have a feeling that he cares for Takashi more than he admits and there is some connection with Reiko that had him watching over Takashi long before the "initial" episode's meeting.

Please tell me that S2's Kai was not a filler character. I will be so heartbroken if he is, because I was so hoping they would go visit him sometime. Also, the little fox-cub was funny and delightful, so I hope he wasn't filler, too. I want to see more of him. Plus, I just love the fox-cub bgm that is used whenever his character is featured.

As for the Matoba clan, especially the one-eyed dude. I hate them all. Really. I can't fathom why anyone likes them. They are a stark contrast to Takashi's gentle nature and really stir up some anger in me. I rage every-time I see doujinshi featuring that yakuza-wannabe x Takashi. I don't get it.

After reading this, I came to realize that you are right about takashi's past. I would like see a little bit more about his past so that it can elapse from his childhood to highschool (I think he's in HS right now); so something from middle school or the transition in between there would be nice.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I think at this stage his character and motivations are quite clear. We know he is a lonely kid who is slightly brash and sullen and who distances himself from people. He buries his emotions and smile so as to show some semblance of normalcy and composure. Throughout the all those stories he slowly opens up and in the last three episodes of the fourth season becomes reconciled with his past. What else has been left? As for what happened to him before he came to the Fujiwaras, we know he was passed around by his relatives from his father side and that he was in an orphanage for a short time. As far as his past is concerned, I don't think there is anything important to add.

There is still enough room for development, but at this stage it's connected with the conflict with Matoba. It seems Takashi may be forced to say the Fujiwaras that he can see ayakashi, because Seji Matoba, the one-eyed dude, uses this that he hasn't to blackmail him into cooperation.

Quote:

Kai is not a filler character. However, the little fox-cub partly is. I mean only the first story with the little fox-cub is based on the manga. The later ones are fillers, but why do you mind? It's not like they are bad fillers.

Quote:

Yeah, Madara certainly cares about Takashi more than he admits; he is not fooling anyone at this point. As for his connection with Reiko, it is a certainly an interesting avenue to explore.

Quote:

As for the Matoba clan, especially the one-eyed dude. I hate them all. Really. I can't fathom why anyone likes them.

That's because he is delightfully hateful. Twisted Evil He is calm, smart, and level-headed (in his own wicked way, but nonetheless.) To cut a long story short, his characterization is very good. He is one of the best antagonist I have seen. As for the rest, well Nanase is a filler character in the fourth season. In the manga she hasn't appeared for around 30 chapters, I don't care about her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1