• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans to Pitch New Yu-Gi-Oh! at Licensing Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
They didn't dub Pretty Cure ...

EDIT: That page is wrong about more than just Pretty Cure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

...course they "dropped" Pokemon for YuGiOh... Seems that they could only ever focus on one thing at a time.

Not dropped. Pokemon was taken away from them.

Lady Multi wrote:

(course then again, all the little kids I know watch Family Guy so I still don't understand why they need to edit ANYTHING...haha)

It's the timeslot --and thus target advertisers-- that matters.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
And Pokemon they did well with. For example, I've seen MewTwo Returns in Japanese and the English Dub.. Besides the obvious Americanized names of the main characters, everything was essentially the same.

I would argue against this, but my VCR is busted and I can't rewatch the movie to make notes.

However, one movie does not mean they "did well". They changed Revelation Lugia so badly that it's not even about the same thing.
pikayugi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Sunday Silence"]
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
It's amazing how anything 4kids-related can bring out all the crazy irrationality in people.

Look at their track record. Of course people are gonna act crazy, it's because it's been over two decades worth of:

Quote:

That's the way things are in real life.

Quote:
* "Doughnuts" and "Sub Sandwich Photoshop."

What Sand-which? And it doesn't really kill the show to call rice balls doughnuts. Equals Nitpick

Quote:
* Edits that make no frelling sense at all.

Examples or Screencaps?

Quote:
* Rearrangement of episodes to the point it makes no frelling sense.

Examples, exact date and show please.

Quote:
* The "token" nod to otaku had questionable results.

The what??

Quote:
* The "One Piece Rap."

It's been what.. 6-7 years?

Quote:
* What Merchandise?

The one in a store near you.

Quote:
* Allegations of misdeeds behind the scenes.

Hearsay, He said/She Said. Calls for Speculation and not relevant to the topic at hand.

Quote:
Instead of embracing Otaku with their disposable income, 4Kids dug themselves a deep enough hole that when they need income the most, they can't exactly cross that bridge and take advantage of it because they long ago burnt it. If their main purpose was to make money, telling a certain segment that "Your money is not welcomed" isn't good business sense.

30 year old Otaku are not part of the target audience that's called business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
30 year old Otaku are not part of the target audience that's called business.

It's called losing sight of your audience. The 6-10 age range is very transient and not having at least an eye people's interests as they grow up leads to late revelations like Toonzaki.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
And Pokemon they did well with. For example, I've seen MewTwo Returns in Japanese and the English Dub.. Besides the obvious Americanized names of the main characters, everything was essentially the same.

Except in the original movie, they cut out about 20+ minutes of footage involving Ai dying, changed Mewtwo's reason for wanting to capture people to dumb him down into an 'I am evil' villain' and tons of other stuff.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
pikayugi wrote:
Words

Kahn, is that you? I thought you retired and went to harassing Captain Kirk?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Except in the original movie, they cut out about 20+ minutes of footage involving Ai dying, changed Mewtwo's reason for wanting to capture people to dumb him down into an 'I am evil' villain' and tons of other stuff.

Have to disagree with you on the first part. The stuff with Ai is not part of the movie. It's part of a special that was, IIRC, added on the Japanese DVD. It was also later released on US DVD, I believe along side the Mewtwo Returns special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4