• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, October 7-13

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
So Re: Cutie Honey gets a BD release in Japan but has yet to see a damn release over here. So when the hell are WE gonna get one. Expected ADV to pick this up years ago, but we see how that all turned out.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Its nice to see symphogear at 12.8k, It seems it'll reach 13k+ next week.

It seems S2 has a good chance of getting a 10k~ average.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what that Cutey Honey even looks like, since it's pre-HD digital. Still, sold pretty damn poorly and I guess Gainax's losing streak continues.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder what that Cutey Honey even looks like, since it's pre-HD digital. Still, sold pretty damn poorly and I guess Gainax's losing streak continues.

You've never seen any clips of this OVA? Let's just say it was pretty frenetic considering that Hiroyuki Imaishi worked on it. It's colorful, slick, fast paced and has all the risque humor that Gainax is known for in following Go Nagai's lead. But compared to the live-action feature it was based on it does take a somewhat different turn of events but still pretty close to live action source. But didn't know it had low sales.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it, but I wonder what it looks like on BD, because it can only be an upscale. It's probably not worth it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I seem to remember some people arguing that Free! wouldn't sell because fujoshi/female fans in general don't buy as much as male otaku, and they certainly don't buy BDs...

Yet here we are, with Free! BDs blowing everything else out of the water. Victory is sweet. Or chlorine flavored. Or something
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Hmm, I seem to remember some people arguing that Free! wouldn't sell because fujoshi/female fans in general don't buy as much as male otaku, and they certainly don't buy BDs...

Yeah, funny how quiet those people are being right now. I keep looking at these threads whenever a Free! volume comes out, and not a peep.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That wasn't the argument at all. After all, Tiger and Bunny sold 20k+, Kuroko no basket sold 20k+ and the first season of UtaPri sold well above 10k. There was clearly an under-tapped market for female-targeted/pandering anime.

The argument that was presented back then was that KyoAni had, with its newly found artistic freedom, turned its back on the fanbase that had enabled KyoAni to have that artistic freedom. How in the world some people misconstrued that argument is beyond me, as it's quite simple to understand.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
no doubt they are still pissed and still feel Kyoani has betrayed them, but ranting about it at this point is probably a bad idea
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they definitely wanted it to fail.

Razz
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The argument that was presented back then was that KyoAni had, with its newly found artistic freedom, turned its back on the fanbase that had enabled KyoAni to have that artistic freedom. How in the world some people misconstrued that argument is beyond me, as it's quite simple to understand.

Uh, because that wasn't the argument they were making. People were claiming that it was dumb for KyoAni to target women, because women were objectively less lucrative to target than men. Outright refusing to believe that there was an untapped potential market of women looking for high budget anime catered to their taste, and, even if there were, their needs were already being met by shounen series.

I can pull up that hundred page thread and start quoting from it, if I have to.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Go ahead and quote me in that hundred page thread if it makes you feel better.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how the two things are mutually exclusive anyway.

They felt "betrayed" (which was, and still is, stupid) AND they thought it would do poorly, or at least they hoped it would.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
You were the one claiming that people somehow "misread" the argument in the first place. If that's your way of saying, "oh yeah, now I remember when people were being ridiculous" then that certainly saves me some time and effort.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo, I didn't say that was your personal argument, but it was certainly a prevalent one that some posters made.

And they were, objectively, wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5