• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Details New Wii U Console for 2012

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I think its pretty neat. The tech demos looked nice. I kinda wish they had some real first party games to show off, but hey that's good for now.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well...there's not really much to say about the console just yet, but it does seem like an interesting innovation, but then it;s Nintendo. Sadly the casual market doesn;t seem to be completely going away but at least they will be doing something for the hardcore market, and they actually have some third party developers on board so I don't think it;ll be a Wii repeat shovelware wise.

Also glad to see it'll have 1080p graphics so the graphic junkies will shut up.

I guess next year will be when we see the actual games.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm seeing it as a DS for your TV. Isn't it something that they didn't even hint at a price?

I'm not impressed myself... The 3DS intrigued me...but not this... Sad I expected something "New" not a Wii w/ HD vid and a controller that makes it a DS....

**Sigh** here some the DS to Wii porting.....
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
....This is the new Wii system that Nintendo was working on? So basically this just a portable version of a Wii that can be either played with or without a TV?

Can't say I am really impressed Nintendo, as this really isn't anything new to be honest.

I am going on a hunch and guessing this portable Wii still can't play Blu-ray or really offers a wider selection of virtual Wii games.

I can't imagine this being very cheap, especially since you would probably need a long cable to connect this to a TV.

But seriously Wii U? Wouldn't it make more sense to call it Wii P considering it's portable? Unless the U stands for union or something around those lines, I don't get what the U is supposed to symbolize or make a reference towards.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
....This is the new Wii system that Nintendo was working on? So basically this just a portable version of a Wii that can be either played with or without a TV?

Can't say I am really impressed Nintendo, as this really isn't anything new to be honest.

I am going on a hunch and guessing this portable Wii still can't play Blu-ray or really offers a wider selection of virtual Wii games.

I can't imagine this being very cheap, especially since you would probably need a long cable to connect this to a TV.

But seriously Wii U? Wouldn't it make more sense to call it Wii P considering it's portable? Unless the U stands for union or something around those lines, I don't get what the U is supposed to symbolize or make a reference towards.

There actually is a console for it, Nintendo didn't show it because they based the entire thing on the controller. I think Nintendo is regretting this because they clearly didn't expect that Vita would have similar abilities.

Nintendo's conference appears to have been rushed, they didn't have first party games for Wii U, and the third party games are ports of games you can get on the PS3 and X-Box 360.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Nintendo loyalist when it comes to handheld systems, but there'd have to be a Wii U exclusive licensed automobile driving game franchise on par with Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo for me to buy the system, since it's the driving games that are the deciding force in which consoles I buy.

Also, I hope the Wii U will give you the option of using a normal-sized controller, because that controller with the tablet screen looks bigger (albeit, probably lighter) than the original Atari Lynx, and I couldn't imagine holding that for hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

P isn't a homophone for the 2nd person pronoun. I assume it's Wii U, as in, "We You."
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I assume it's Wii U, as in, "We You."

I assumed adding the "U" changed the phonetics, because I can only read it as "Eff U", which seems to be Nintendo's attitude since introducing the N64 to the world.

Personally, I feel it's about time Nintendo retire from the home console market and stick with what they know best: handhelds.

It sucked to read Luigi's Mansion 2 will be coming out on the 3DS. This would have made a tremendously awesome game on the Wii with its controller.

This pretty much just affirmed Nintendo's home market is strictly about hardware. Of course, when they can sell a $15 piece of plastic shaped like a steering wheel, who the hell needs to develop games? Just port over the same game introduced on the N64 used and polish up the graphics.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
I assume it's Wii U, as in, "We You."

I assumed adding the "U" changed the phonetics, because I can only read it as "Eff U", which seems to be Nintendo's attitude since introducing the N64 to the world.

Personally, I feel it's about time Nintendo retire from the home console market and stick with what they know best: handhelds.

It sucked to read Luigi's Mansion 2 will be coming out on the 3DS. This would have made a tremendously awesome game on the Wii with its controller.

This pretty much just affirmed Nintendo's home market is strictly about hardware. Of course, when they can sell a $15 piece of plastic shaped like a steering wheel, who the hell needs to develop games? Just port over the same game introduced on the N64 used and polish up the graphics.

Well the fact that they actually made an effort to get third party developers on board does show they learned SOMETHING from the Wii. Of course we still need to see more hardcore games, but seeing as the games weren;t really highlighted yet it's hard to say much of anything about the system.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
That looks like one of the most uncomfortable and cumbersome controllers ever made. My biggest complaint about handhelds is that they're not ergonomic and hard to hold, especially for a long time, even more so if you have big hands like me. Give me a PS3 or 360 controller, something I can actually grip!

And yeah, Sony's Transfarring system beat Nintendo to the punch, even the PSP can do it, hope they've got something more to offer.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

That was my first reaction when I saw the new Luigi's Mansion game for the 3DS! The Wii and game's mechanics would blend perfectly together. I'll probably get it down the line since I loved the first, but I won't be getting the 3DS until Metal Gear 3D comes out (or I can't stand not playing Ocarina of Time 3D anymore Laughing ).
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Dear Nintendo: Please stop announcing new consoles with no games.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
No thanks Nintendo. When a LEGO game is your major third party announcement despite the hype campaign being all about getting the basement gamers interested, something's wrong.

Also, the controller itself is very primitive. It doesn't have real analog sticks, but nubs similar to the 3DS, or what the PSP has (Vita even has real sticks), nor is the screen multi-touch. It's not a bad concept, but I feel like they just slapped the SEGA VMU, and uDraw tablet together and hoped for the best.

Nor can the device upres Wii games.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well the fact that they actually made an effort to get third party developers on board does show they learned SOMETHING from the Wii.

Yes, it's called "Oops. Maybe we should have supported HD and made it easier for developers to port. Well, perhaps we'll learn with the next console."

The Wii is an awesome gaming machine. The problem is that it never received the attention of those who had the ability to put this console #1 in sales, but instead, decided to make games like "Chicken Shoot".

There's a very good reason why WiiWare titles outsold disk games.

Quote:
Of course we still need to see more hardcore games, but seeing as the games weren;t really highlighted yet it's hard to say much of anything about the system.

I don't believe the answer is "hardcore" games. Just quality games, which blended the unique controller and game play. I still enjoy playing Wii Sports, and it's been over 2 years now.

I'm a firm believer if a game is built on quality, not graphics or gimmicks, it'll sell itself.

Angry Birds can be a source of proof, it not Tetris.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

P isn't a homophone for the 2nd person pronoun. I assume it's Wii U, as in, "We You."

It does stand for "We You" Iwata was explaining the meaning of the name during the conference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5