• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Bans Anime from Prime Time TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
I'll just make a few statements, Hilary is backing Net Nuetrality, meaning we keep the internet free from discrimination by ISPs. China doesn't have a child ban, it's a system where a family with only one child gets more government benefits than a family with multiple children. This tends to be mistaken as a child limit because the Chinese people tend to only have one children and abort the rest or put them in prphanages (I think abortion is illegal in China, but they can get it done in another country like my friend's mother).

As for China banning anime from Prime Time TV, it's very reasonable, ethical, maybe not, but reasonable, definately. Many Americans don't see the kind of competition for air time here because we have what many other cultures want, that and our culture isn't one that accepts other cultures easily, sadly. Other cultures are more prone to allow foreign cultures into their own, which can lead to problems with local industries. This can be seen on a smaller scale with, say, Wal-mart. Most rural and smaller cities hate Wal-mart because it kills all the local businesses. Who likes to spend their time going to the Fish store for fish, the butcher for meat, the Bakery for bread, etc. etc. when they can just go to one supermarket and get everything at once? Now all we have to do is change the names of what we're using as the examples. We'll make the town China, the local businesses Chinese products, and the Wal-mart foreign products. More people find the foreign products more appealing than the local ones, so the local products are driven out of business. All the government is doing is putting a goods ban, if you will, on the foreign products so the local products can have a chance. It's like the town saying "You can't build a Wal-mart here cause it'll ruin the local businesses," so the Wal-mart gets built somewhere else.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

As for China banning anime from Prime Time TV, it's very reasonable, ethical, maybe not, but reasonable, definately. Many Americans don't see the kind of competition for air time here because we have what many other cultures want, that and our culture isn't one that accepts other cultures easily, sadly. Other cultures are more prone to allow foreign cultures into their own, which can lead to problems with local industries. This can be seen on a smaller scale with, say, Wal-mart. Most rural and smaller cities hate Wal-mart because it kills all the local businesses. Who likes to spend their time going to the Fish store for fish, the butcher for meat, the Bakery for bread, etc. etc. when they can just go to one supermarket and get everything at once? Now all we have to do is change the names of what we're using as the examples. We'll make the town China, the local businesses Chinese products, and the Wal-mart foreign products. More people find the foreign products more appealing than the local ones, so the local products are driven out of business. All the government is doing is putting a goods ban, if you will, on the foreign products so the local products can have a chance. It's like the town saying "You can't build a Wal-mart here cause it'll ruin the local businesses," so the Wal-mart gets built somewhere else.
actly I see that as the goverment(town) saying no walmart vs the people (not shopping at walmart) but thats just the way I see your analogy the people said we dont like chinese animation so they werent watching it then the goverment said oops cant have that and said ok no forgien product in a certain time slot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Well, it can be seen in a few different lights, since it is only an analogy and not something that would fit the situation exactly. Just like China's Government says no to anime at that time, certain town's would say no to Wal-marts, what we must assume is that the government is in power for the people, rather than its own gain, and doesn't do it for the good of the few, but for the many. All of these are circumstantial and obviously may change from country to country or city to city. Basically what me must assume is that the Chinese government isn't doing this for their own gain, but for the gain of their people, but then that would also be their own gain, so it can always be drawn to the government doing something for self profit, but this approach is better for the local companies since they make a profit as well and won't go under as easily. Government regulation of what can be watched and what can't be watched isn't anything new, and it won't disappear (FCC anyone?) but it's something that shouldn't so far as to rule out all competition. I say that this is just a simple step to get the Chinese producers back on their feet so they can compete, more than a strict case of xenophobia.

P.S. Sorry if it got a bit incoherent halfway through, my thought processes aren't exactly in a straight line, if you will, but more like scribbling on a piece of paper, going round and round with no clear destination.

Edit: Ah, I read that one wrong. Well, if you come down to around where I live they'll have people protest building a wal-mart in certain areas and try to get government support, but it's really funny when you see the protesters put down their signs and go shopping in the very same building they're protesting about. People around here aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box, but more like the dullest, if you get what I mean. It just seems weird how people work against their own goals because it's more convenient.

Last edited by Daemonblue on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
Unless any of you live in China, then you have the right to be upset. And besides, it's only during primetime.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
This issue isnt really a big deal.

I live in Australia and i shouldnt be really worried about that...i should be worrying about High Petrol prices($1.30-$1.40 a litre!!!!!!!), high cost for banannas and flaming high interest rates!!( i think 7.9%)

No more anime dvds for a while.... Sad

-DaZ

$1.30 a litre is still well cheap. UK petrol costs 96p-£1 a litre (Australian dollars = $2.5, US = $1.80.) And Americans almost riot at having to pay $3 a gallon!!! The UK has the cheapest petrol in Europe before tax and the most expensive in Europe after tax. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, this whole anime ban thing is just a commerce thing. It is NO different from the US using farm subsidies to give domestic farmers an unfair advantage over foreign farmers. The US government is giving its own agriculture industry a $173 billion subsidy over 10 years, in order to undercut farmers in developing countries. China is just trying to protect it's own industries in a far less agressive way than the US (seeing as we are talking about an anime ban for chrissakes!!!) And whats more, China, as a 'communist' country is well within its ideological rights to do this. The US is supposedly fighting for freer trade - except when freer trade hurts their own economy.

Unless you yourself are Chinese, what laws they pass has very little to do with you. If the country wants to riot over an anime ban (my gut instinct tells me that they don't,) then it is up to them to do so.
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
Dingé wrote:
As someone who's spent quite a bit of time in China in recent years, I have to say this new policy will hardly affect anime-broadcasting in the country...The quality of Chinese-made cartoons are, in my opinion, quite pathetic. It's easy to see why they're losing to foreign products once you them in a the side to side comparision.

That's so well said about current problem there. I read this news about Chinese prime-time ban earlier on a Chinese anime/manga forum, and people were saying, "Yeah, like Germany already did," "Oh, look at the French, they've been doing the same." -- Comparing apple to orange, keeping themselves in the nutshell.

Chinese media production had been trying its best ripping off Taiwanese and Japanese shows. I don't really see how putting out 60% of air time WITHOUT media shows (i.e. anime) from higher level (i.e. FOREIGN!) will help local industry progress.

Chinese anime production will grow if they ONE. survive competition, and TWO. learn from more foreign media better developed than theirs--That's the first thing to try and the government can control by spending more money on it, and then after the industry sees significant progress, instead of just negligible progress as-marvelous-as-Chinese-propaganda-claimed, then they can attempt a little restriction to release quality product and regain foot at competition, those are next stage plans.

The ban is not about helping any industry; it's about the current Chinese government putting out a show saying "We Have the Biggest Dick, petty foreign media CAN'T mess up with us."
lennier1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
lennier1 wrote:
Sounds only one step farther than what France has been doing for a long time (dictating radio stations which percentage of the songs they´re playing has to be french).

The French really do that? First I've heard of that but it doesn't surprise me at all. With all the other regulations they have on virtually every aspect of their citizen's lives, this probably seemed minor during voting.

One question though. Do you mean the songs have to originate in France or just that they have to be sung in french?
It´s not that much of a surprise considering how bitchy they can be when it comes to their language. IIRC the regulation only requires the songs to be sung in french. That pretty much narrows it down to stuff from France and some of their former colonies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
ironfrost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
I posted this on another forum - mskala probably made the main point better on the first page, but that's not my only point.

It's not about censorship, it's about protectionism. The Chinese animation industry is in a pretty bad state at the moment (mostly because its content is awful; about twenty different versions of that damn fairy tale with the pig and the monkey, and each as badly animated as the next), so the government decided to prop it up by eliminating the competition. According to China Daily today, Chinese TV stations are prepared to pay five hundred times as much for Japanese anime as for Chinese material, which gives you an idea of how bad the domestic stuff really is.

Quote:

Many local television stations are only willing to pay around 10 yuan (US$1.25) per minute for domestic animation, while buying foreign animations, like Japan's "Slam Dunk," for as much as 5,000 yuan (US$625) per minute

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2006-08/14/content_664131_2.htm

In any case, it's a stupid move. It's going to hurt all animation in the long term, even the domestic stuff - nobody is going to become an animation fan by watching the rubbish Chinese studios are churning out at the moment, and when they do get their act together the market for animation will already be crippled. The government always whine about protectionism by America and the EU, so they should stop being so hypocritical.
ssjlonewolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
To me it like this, you make a show good enough to get well known outside of your country, then people might start respecting the animation that comes from your country. Government issues are another thing, the way I see it is they are trying to bring more money into the country through animation.

Most government's suck in general in the first place, esspcially the us government(corruption, political issues, going to war over nothing, etc...). China's government just wants to get reconized as a contender in the anime market.

Quote:
I live in Australia and i shouldnt be really worried about that...i should be worrying about High Petrol prices($1.30-$1.40 a litre!!!!!!!), high cost for banannas and flaming high interest rates!!( i think 7.9%)

Try living in a state where your state tax dollars are paying for illegal residents(9% state taxes on everything)....and petrol...dont get me started.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
I think people are forgetting an important detail here. To quote the article itself, "Recently, TV stations were told to limit all foreign programming and have their hosts use FEWER English words on the air." While I can sort of understand why the Chinese government wants to promote their own animation studios, what I don't understand is why are they limiting how much English words can be aired on TV? How are Chinese TV hosts speaking in English going to influence the people with foreign policies? How is limiting Chinese TV hosts speaking in ENGLISH going to promote their own Chinese studios any better? Can somebody please kindly explain their logic of banning English words from primetime to me? You don't see Canadian television banning how many times their TV hosts use the word "soda" instead of "pop", do you?

But the biggest thing I don't understand about this is the pointlessness of it all. Regardless of whether the most popular cartoon on TV originates from China or if it originates from Japan, the Chinese government is still going to make money off of it. If Pokemon of all things is more popular than any of their own cartoons, that should be telling them something about the quality of their own cartoons. It's nobody's fault but their own that they can't keep up with the rest of the world of animation, but instead of taking responibility for their own faults, they have to point fingers at other people and ban foreign television from primetime just because their own shows aren't good enough. But if the Chinese government was really that worried about foreign cartoons becoming more popular than their own domestic animation, they should concentrate more on banning illegal Hong Kong bootleg DVDs that they don't even make any profit off of instead. I don't think they're as bad as North Korea for banning anime from primetime and yes, they do have far worse problems to worry about than anime. I just don't understand the point of it all. If Pokemon is going to make the government more money than any of their original animation is, then why does it matter if it's from Japan or China?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
ssjlonewolf wrote:
Try living in a state where your state tax dollars are paying for illegal residents.

Sounds like a myth to me. Do you have any non-partisan sources showing that illegals make up the bulk of state welfare recipients?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
The pettyness of the internet is incredible.

We're supposed to get into an tizzy because "GASP", the Chinese Government has decided that they're not going to allow Japanese cartoons on in primetime!

I mean, who could have predicted something of this scope? Who would have imagined that the knife would cut this deep?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4650158.stm Commentary on the Great Firewall of China by Chinese Bloggers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1759815.stm
Two Chinese dissidents are jailed for four years for posting articles on the internet criticising President Jiang Zemin.

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=14884

Information supplied by Yahoo! helped journalist Shi Tao get 10 years in prison

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/322/7290/817

The American Psychiatric Association has urged the World Psychiatric Association to protest to the Chinese government about the incarceration of political dissidents and members of the Falun Gong movement in mental hospitals.

But by all means, lets get them their cartoons..............
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
A very large percentage of the anime figurines, toys, dolls, etc., we buy at cons are made in China, so we're already pretty complicit. The Japanese government has had trouble facing up to the barbarous cruelty with which they treated China diring the 1930s and 40s; but part of the reason for this is understandable resentment at being lectured on atrocities and human rights by the likes of the Chinese Communist Party, which is responsible for killing as many (or more) Chinese than the Japanese Army did.

Nor is the CCP able to offer any rationale for remaining in sole power (if they claim they provide essential stability, what does it say about their 57-year stewardship of China that they think the country would fly apart without them?)--it's not the government that's creating all the wealth in China, it's the hard work of hundreds of millions of Chinese. So the Party likes to play the nationalism card, which just makes them look like they still have an inferiority complex. What they have is an illegitimacy complex.

And as for banning anime on prime time, the cry of "DVD? VCD?" from the street sellers goes on Smile
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
To quote the article itself, "Recently, TV stations were told to limit all foreign programming and have their hosts use FEWER English words on the air." While I can sort of understand why the Chinese government wants to promote their own animation studios, what I don't understand is why are they limiting how much English words can be aired on TV?

Like I said, the purpose of the current oligarchical government of the "People's Republic of China" is not about promoting anything other than its own "power image."

Chinese government DOES NOT NEED a progressing anime industry, DOES NOT NEED its people to speak bilingual. It needs POWER and the SHOW of ITS POWER in order to rightfully exist and control people's mind--Whether it's yours or mine.

When it takes over oil supplies, it wants everybody to admit China is an economic giant, and more FDI will flock over there; when it opens its market, it wants everybody to believe that China is heading towards democracy, whether it's a "Chinese way of democracy that already exists" or not.

There's a lot of trap within the Communist work with propaganda and "legal reforms". You better watch out.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Off topic, though not by much, it's always fascinating to me how everyone thinks Republicans (and by extension President Bush) are so bad and yet no one seems the least bit bothered by Democrats like Hillary Clinton trying pass bills that would actually place government controls on the internet. Rolling Eyes
Are you talking about the net neutrality bill? Cause if you are, let's send that Rolling Eyes right back atcha...

Actually, I need to apologize here. I was misremembering what I had read. What I was thinking about in regards to Hillary Clinton was what she said at a press conference back in 1998 in which she spoke of a need for some "kind of editing function or gate-keeping function" for the internet. Note, she was not referring to adult content sites but rather to news sites not unlike ANN itself. She also expressed concern about the "accessibility and instantaneous information on the computer." However, this was back before she was a senator and no bill was proposed by her, so again, I am in error.

The quotations came from a book I read some time back and I unfortunately assigned a greater miscarriage of freedom to Senator Clinton than I should have. I'm fairly certain that there was a bill introduced about three or four years ago having to do with restricting bloggers but I could just be thinking about a ruling regarding campaign finance reform.

On the "net neutrality bill" you mentioned, I'm not quite sure what your point is. Having no first hand information on it, I looked it up and it seemed to be nothing more than an ammendment to a bill which would have mandated that companies providing internet service be forced to provide those services to any other company free. While this sounds great, it restricts the ability of the provider to expand it's capabilities by eliminating a source of income (i.e. fees) for special services such as streaming video.

Such an ammendment would have harmed business and, had it been passed, likely increased the ammount of money people like you and I pay to use the internet. It had little, if anything, to do with content.

Just to get back on the subject of China, did you know they are currently researching space based weapons systems? I did a report on it about two years ago for a world government class. Fascinating stuff. A tad frightening too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8