• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Bans Anime from Prime Time TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mskala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
On the "net neutrality bill" you mentioned, I'm not quite sure what your point is. Having no first hand information on it, I looked it up and it seemed to be nothing more than an ammendment [sic] to a bill which would have mandated that companies providing internet service be forced to provide those services to any other company free. While this sounds great, it restricts the ability of the provider to expand it's [sic] capabilities by eliminating a source of income (i.e. fees) for special services such as streaming video.

Such an ammendment [sic] would have harmed business and, had it been passed, likely increased the ammount [sic] of money people like you and I pay to use the internet. It had little, if anything, to do with content.

I strongly suggest that you learn what Net neutrality is before you shoot your mouth off about how it has nothing to do with content and will "harm business". I think you'll also find that the amendment was about requiring the provision of services free of price discrimination, not free of charge entirely.

Net neutrality is the requirement that ISPs cannot charge different prices depending on what kind of traffic they carry or who they carry it for; all customers have to get the same price scale. That has everything to do with content because content is what they want to discriminate on. At present, if you download 1M of data from YouTube, or 1M from Google, or 1M from Joe's Random Website, it all costs the same to deliver to you, and you pay the same for it.

Some ISPs would like to be able to say to let's say Google, "Give up $10million/year or else we won't deliver traffic from your Web site!". That's even though the ISP's actual customers would be willing to pay for it at the same rate as other traffic... the ISPs want more. From the ISP's point of view, being able to do that would be valuable because there are a lot of companies that want to have an advantage over Google and might be willing to tell the ISP, "Hey, we'll pay you $15million/year to deliver our traffic and not Google's...". The ISPs would just love to be able to have that kind of bidding war. It would suck for network users, though, because we would lose the freedom to choose which search engine we use; instead of using the search engine of our choice, we'd get the search engine that had paid the biggest bribe to the ISP, and we would still be paying just as much for our Internet access even though we no longer really had access to all of the Internet.

Just imagine if the phone company had the "freedom" to charge different customers different prices however they pleased, and make exclusive deals with customers to refuse service entirely to other customers for business reasons. The phone company does not have that kind of "freedom"; it's a good thing that they don't; but ISPs want to do it. Network neutrality, in the present context, means regulation forbidding ISPs from these kinds of shenanigans.

It's not about extra fees for "special services like streaming video". ISPs do not deliver streaming video; they deliver IP packets. Whether those IP packets contain email or video or whatever, they're still IP packets, and they still cost exactly the same to deliver as any other IP packets the same size... to say that ISPs should be allowed to charge more for packets containing video is the same as saying the phone company should be allowed to charge more for phone calls in which you speak Spanish. That is not a special service, and charging more for it isn't a clever idea.

Network neutrality would not "harm business". What it would harm would be dishonest anticompetitive business. That kind of business certainly should be harmed.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
The pettyness of the internet is incredible.

We're supposed to get into an tizzy because "GASP", the Chinese Government has decided that they're not going to allow Japanese cartoons on in primetime!

I mean, who could have predicted something of this scope? Who would have imagined that the knife would cut this deep?
Yes, let's all sign online and join an Internet forum designed to talk about Japanese cartoons so we can talk about Chinese policitics and news reports, because you know that's why we all joined ANIME News Network.com. Or better yet, let's all get into a "tizzy" about other people on the other side of the country you don't even know getting into a "tizzy" over a news update about Japanese cartoons on a website that's "GASP", dedicated to reporting news updates about Japanese cartoons because that makes us so much more mature.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
we can talk about Chinese policitics and news reports, because you know that's why we all joined ANIME News Network.com...dedicated to reporting news updates about Japanese cartoons because that makes us so much more mature.

Hahaha Very Happy ~~~

I guess there's an end to everything political, it's ANIME!!!

*AHEM* To get to the good part, anime and various cartoons (i.e. Simpsons) had been distributed enough around the world that even skippers managing Chinese media notices that they need to specifically "ban" them. There's always some factors that render the result of "why everybody else [not me yet] wants to watch this???" Politics, economy, blahblahblah, and OTAKU! Twisted Evil

That's what America can do to liberate China: Export more otaku over there.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
What happen to freedom of speech? I guess it do not apply to China.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
What happen to freedom of speech? I guess it do not apply to China.

Umm China is a communist government, they don't exactly have the same civil rights, nor the right to pursue happiness like we (US) do.

Anywho my local (talk) radio also pick up this report....It was so weird when all of sudden "news out of China that the Simpson are being Banned!" Anywho the three DJ whent on to discuss on how Japanese/America cartoon were better quality. One person crack a joke saying that "Of course they want to watch other countries Animation, their (China) equipment makes South Park look like Finding Nemo".......I laugh at that pretty good stuff.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:

And Americans almost riot at having to pay $3 a gallon!!!

Americans in general drive much more often and much longer distaces than Europeans, so at the end of a month, we end up paying just as much, if not more.

And wow, we're so far off topic it's just sad. Sorry for the spam. :lol:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I also read that China will also ban The Simpsons. I feel bad for The Simpsons because that's my favorite show of all time. Say it ain't so. Crying or Very sad

But I sure am glad I'm not in China. Anime catgrin

Last edited by Riyousha on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I also read that China will also ban The Simpsons. I feel bad for The Simpsons because that's my favorite show of all time. Say it ain't so.

But I sure am glad I'm not in China. Anime catgrin

It's a ban on foreign animation (or programming in general?) in prime-time slots, not banning of it in general.
Dingé

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think The Simpsons has ever aired on Chinese (mainland) television... It'd be helluva surprise for me if it even managed to make it past the Chinese Censors Board. Shocked
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Dorasaga wrote:
That's what America can do to liberate China: Export more otaku over there.
Something to ponder, is that a good thing or a terrible ideal. Razz They already have kids over there dying from online games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Dingé wrote:
I don't think The Simpsons has ever aired on Chinese (mainland) television... It'd be helluva surprise for me if it even managed to make it past the Chinese Censors Board. Shocked

I'm sure it was edited and some episodes probably didn't make it over, but it made it there in some form. It was specifically mentioned in my local newspaper and I believe the ANN article as well.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
On the "net neutrality bill" you mentioned, I'm not quite sure what your point is. Having no first hand information on it, I looked it up and it seemed to be nothing more than an ammendment [sic] to a bill which would have mandated that companies providing internet service be forced to provide those services to any other company free. While this sounds great, it restricts the ability of the provider to expand it's [sic] capabilities by eliminating a source of income (i.e. fees) for special services such as streaming video.

Such an ammendment [sic] would have harmed business and, had it been passed, likely increased the ammount [sic] of money people like you and I pay to use the internet. It had little, if anything, to do with content.

I strongly suggest that you learn what Net neutrality is before you shoot your mouth off about how it has nothing to do with content and will "harm business". I think you'll also find that the amendment was about requiring the provision of services free of price discrimination, not free of charge entirely.

Net neutrality is the requirement that ISPs cannot charge different prices depending on what kind of traffic they carry or who they carry it for; all customers have to get the same price scale. That has everything to do with content because content is what they want to discriminate on. At present, if you download 1M of data from YouTube, or 1M from Google, or 1M from Joe's Random Website, it all costs the same to deliver to you, and you pay the same for it.

Some ISPs would like to be able to say to let's say Google, "Give up $10million/year or else we won't deliver traffic from your Web site!". That's even though the ISP's actual customers would be willing to pay for it at the same rate as other traffic... the ISPs want more. From the ISP's point of view, being able to do that would be valuable because there are a lot of companies that want to have an advantage over Google and might be willing to tell the ISP, "Hey, we'll pay you $15million/year to deliver our traffic and not Google's...". The ISPs would just love to be able to have that kind of bidding war. It would suck for network users, though, because we would lose the freedom to choose which search engine we use; instead of using the search engine of our choice, we'd get the search engine that had paid the biggest bribe to the ISP, and we would still be paying just as much for our Internet access even though we no longer really had access to all of the Internet.

Just imagine if the phone company had the "freedom" to charge different customers different prices however they pleased, and make exclusive deals with customers to refuse service entirely to other customers for business reasons. The phone company does not have that kind of "freedom"; it's a good thing that they don't; but ISPs want to do it. Network neutrality, in the present context, means regulation forbidding ISPs from these kinds of shenanigans.

It's not about extra fees for "special services like streaming video". ISPs do not deliver streaming video; they deliver IP packets. Whether those IP packets contain email or video or whatever, they're still IP packets, and they still cost exactly the same to deliver as any other IP packets the same size... to say that ISPs should be allowed to charge more for packets containing video is the same as saying the phone company should be allowed to charge more for phone calls in which you speak Spanish. That is not a special service, and charging more for it isn't a clever idea.

Network neutrality would not "harm business". What it would harm would be dishonest anticompetitive business. That kind of business certainly should be harmed.

As I said in my post, I wasn't sure if what I had looked up was accurate but in the interest of lively debate I thought I'd reply to your earlier post. I didn't shoot off my mouth as you said, I said quite clearly in my post that if what I was referencing was incorrect that I would appreciate a clarification on the issue, which you have just done, albeit in a somewhat hostile manner.

What I read before responding to your earlier post was a tad vague but it was also non-partisan.

As to your point: some alterations were made to the bill which the "net neutrality" ammendment would have been attached to placing authority in the FCC to deal with complaints regarding any actual abuses. Are there any documented abuses by ISPs?

And on China, I vote two years before their protectionary restrictions turn into a real ban.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
According to this article, it’s being openly criticized. There's still plenty of criticism where that came from, and I doubt oppression will be to the point of 1984. I'm not particularly fond of certain governments because I get a "what the hell are they up to now" kind of feeling. But our government does equally covert things around the world, but we have superior technology to cover it up. Democracy or not, you don't get a say in what you know don't know about. Most of us don't have any say in what goes on in Cheyenne Mountain, and that's under the U.S. flag, right? Anyway, I think sometimes we think too much about the label of communism. What’s the point of it? Many labels like that can’t accurately describe most scenarios. In the past, the U.S. has made countless decisions to combat communism that didn't help civilians at all.

Their lineup during primetime doesn't really include much anime. I think they had Doraemon on at 7:30 PM, but that’s just about it. They don’t have the equivalent of Miguzi like some of us.

As for their animation [OT?], there are a few things that seem to be holding it back in my humble opinion. First, there’s way too much Journey to the West and other classical stories, and there’s only so much of that people will want to watch. Second, the creators seem to be holding back on anything that might be unsuitable for little kids to watch. I’m not saying put a lot of gore into it, but they seem almost afraid to put any of that in. (Gov’t maybe? Who knows.) Third, I see a lot of imitations of foreign work, and that’s never gotten studios very far. Despite that though, a country with such an impressive amount of culture and history should be capable of creating a movie/show that makes it big.
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Uhhh...edit anyone? Mods? People?

.Sy wrote:
Second, the creators seem to be holding back on anything that might be unsuitable for little kids to watch. I’m not saying put a lot of gore into it, but they seem almost afraid to put any of that in. (Gov’t maybe? Who knows.)

I think that's right, meaning they can't put anything in that would be unsuitable for little kids. I remember reading that there were a couple films that weren't released in the mainland because they couldn't be edited to be appropriate for all ages.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
ToSFan4ever wrote:
Question

Wow...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8